Thread: Reticles that you like, but NOT Duplex.....just others.

Default Reticles that you like, but NOT Duplex.....just others.

Clearly some form of duplex reticle is the most popular, be it fine, heavy, wide, regular, etc. But NOT counting any form of Duplex, what other reticles do you like. I like both the German #4 & the German #1.

4A is my favorite.

Your comment of the duplex being the favorite brings a question to mind. I wonder if the duplex reticle is the 'favorite' in the US because people here think it's superior, or because it's the most commonly sold and is the only reticle they've ever been exposed to. (is it commonly marketed because it's popular, or is it popular because it's commonly marketed?).

I prefer 30mm tubes and most European reticles to the typical American duplex, but the 4A is my favorite.

I like the #4 and the German #1 Post.

I'm also liking the Trijicon post a little more these days.

Default superthin ones with a dot.

I like the old school superthin crosshairs with a target dot. Used to be called the lyman dot.
    You can find them on the old Leupold fixed power scopes.

Not very common anymore.

I also like the Kahles ballistic plex recticle as well but the thin with target dot is best.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

For big game including deer and larger, I much prefer the post. I grew up when the post was a very popular reticle, especially for shooting at running deer etc......heavy 4 plex are terrible IMO......I just can't fall in love with cluttered reticles for big game.

I really like my german #1 i have in a leuopold scount on a marlin. Sure wish the scope manufactures made more choices available, other than the duplex variations, in the larger scopes....

An old Burris 2-7 with a Dot is my hands down favorite and has been since 1988 when I bought it. Every rifle I own would have Dots if I could do it over again, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    I really like my german #1 i have in a leuopold scount on a marlin. Sure wish the scope manufactures made more choices available, other than the duplex variations, in the larger scopes....
    If I was still playing smoochie face with brown fuzzy things, I would be ordering the Leupold VX-3 1.5X-5X with the German #1

CPC. It tapers from the outside in, with the crosshairs almost disappearing in the middle. I'm mostly partial to fixed power scopes and Leupold's custom shop will stuff the CPC in most scopes. I like the CPC in a 4x32 and 6x40 M8 fixed powers. The fine crosshairs of the old Weavers is nice too.

I like the Germans as well. I wish more stores carried them. There's nothing I hate worse than going into a store to buy something and hearing, "We can order that for you."

I have an older Leupold 4x that has a tapering post with a fine crosshair and the post extends a bit above the crosshair. Anyone know what it's called?

Kaboku68, I have a Leupold 4x with the target dot if you want to buy it. I was going to send it off one of these days to have it changed to a post.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I have an older Leupold 4x that has a tapering post with a fine crosshair and the post extends a bit above the crosshair. Anyone know what it's called?
    That's a #9

The German #4 is a great reticle and one I would like to get for a bear rifle.

Oops, too late to edit. 338-06, if the post is generally triangular in shape and tapers to a sharp point, it would be a #2, not a #9. Sorry, I was too quick on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Oops, too late to edit. 338-06, if the post is generally triangular in shape and tapers to a sharp point, it would be a #2, not a #9. Sorry, I was too quick on the draw.
    Actually it's a rounded point, would that make it a #9?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Actually it's a rounded point, would that make it a #9?
    Yea, I believe a heavy parallel sided post, rounded on top, extending slightly above the fine cross hair is a number 9, although I have a depiction showing it as a number 8 too (identical depiction, different labels). The same pattern with a triangular shaped pointed post is labeled a #2.

Because I prefer post reticles and have had three custom shop installed in Leupolds, I bought a Trijicon 1.25x-4x last year and installed it on my Talkeetna......The warm fall made moose calling difficult so it was nearly dark [cooler] when I was able to call a bull out of the brush and the bright green triangle on the post really made a believer out of me. Should I ever hunt brown bear again, this scope will be with me or if we should have a bear intrude upon our meat cache at night, this scope will be put to use.

I have a Loopy Vari-X IIc 3x9 with the Leupold Dot. Tapered crosshairs lead into a smallish dot. Quick pointing *********