Thread: Having Fox tanned

Default Having Fox tanned

A couple questions, first should I stretch them out and do all the normal stuff and send them like that to a tannery or should I just skin them, flesh them, roll them and send them that way?

Second, what is a good tannery to send fox fur to that you will get your own fur back? average cost for a fox? Lynx?

thanks

Trophy taxidermy, Tim Vandertoorn behind 3 bears/four corners area in the valley.
    By searching the forum you will lots of valuable info concerning more tanning options.
    Nice looking reds!
    BK

There is no need to put them on a stretcher and dry them if you are gonna have them tanned. Skin and flesh, turn fur side out and put the legs inside so no skin is exposed, roll up and put in a sealed garbage bag and then you can freeze it if you're gonna take it in locally. If you're shipping you may have to salt it down.

Yep, nice reds!

I do exactly as Bushrat does, quick and simple. Nice looking reds, congratulations.

If they are stretched and dried, does that affect the ability to have them tanned at a later time? Also, if stretching, salt or no salt? So many questions, so little knowledge....

Stretching/drying doesn't affect the ability to tan later on, and no need to salt them if you are gonna stretch and dry.

FYI togasmom, tried to get pm to you but think you need ten posts before that will work.

Thanks, Mark... was wondering why I couldn't receive pm's that a couple of people have tried sending... guess I need to quit reading and start flapping my jaw (or fingers, as the case may be) a little more.

My only experience prior to this seasons trapping efforts is with big game and it's always been either "get that hide outta the way so we can get the meat cooling quickly", or in the cases of bringing out the cape or hide as well, it's been a quick and dirty "flesh, salt the heck out of it and send it on it's way to the taxidermist". The fur / hide being top priority is a new one and a whole different universe for me!

Regards,
    Jessi

Teacher
    I use Furs for Fun down in Idaho, and I get my own furs back. fox are $18 and lynx are $24 plus shipping. Never had any problems