Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Baiting

Default Fairbanks Baiting

Have some questions for you all. I have baited this spot near livengood for about 4 years now and this past spring someone was putting up a cabin within a 1/4 mile of it. they did not know I had a bait and now I have to move them. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck going father toward Minto? I am looking at putting in a couple new stands out there or driving all the way out toward anderson to hunt. If anyone has any ideas on which one is better or will produce a blackie, I would love to know. Second, does anyone know where you can get free grease in the fairbanks area? I will be using scraps from my buffalo and the turkey from thanksgiving, but am looking for grease if I can get it for free. Thanks, and BTW I have done quiet a bit of research, this is just another tool I use.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

For grease, try every fast food shop, Fred Meyers, Carrs, etc.- anywhere that makes and sells deep-fried food (also on base and in North Pole). If they don't already have a contract with Alaska Waste (or another bear hunter) you might get lucky. Just beware, it usually chum's in the Browns.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

As you work closer torward Minto be aware you will have to work around native owned land along the road. You can obtain maps showing the private land from Doyon I believe.

I have heard the same about the grease, and havent used it on a bait before. I was looking on a different method of drawing in more bears. Second I am looking at a place just over the Tolivana river to bait. I am pretty sure it's not native owned, but I will look into it. What do you guys suggest I use instead of grease? Popcorn or something else. Right now I use dog food as the base, vanilla anise, honey, syrup (usually breakfast style from sam's), molasses, and whatever else is sweet I can get my hands on.

Sounds like you have a great start and the basics covered. Id suggest you now contact Jess at Bait'em907 for a bear ball (i prefer the marshmallow), and some of her bacon balls. Her products are worth the money and do their job.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I have heard the same about the grease, and havent used it on a bait before. I was looking on a different method of drawing in more bears. Second I am looking at a place just over the Tolivana river to bait. I am pretty sure it's not native owned, but I will look into it. What do you guys suggest I use instead of grease? Popcorn or something else. Right now I use dog food as the base, vanilla anise, honey, syrup (usually breakfast style from sam's), molasses, and whatever else is sweet I can get my hands on.
    Keep an eye open on here for postings on our seminars. I'm guessing we will be doing at least 2 this spring some time. I think you would pick up a lot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Sounds like you have a great start and the basics covered. Id suggest you now contact Jess at Bait'em907 for a bear ball (i prefer the marshmallow), and some of her bacon balls. Her products are worth the money and do their job.
    also... on that jess Will mail stuff out... but Sentry hardware Carry's her stuff in the spring... and i normally have a stack in my office as well... for forum members.

i will prolly start in about February when i do my runs to and from the valley..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know an outfitter that baits that area HARD, and now with the ten bait rule i suspect he'll be putting in a few more.

Just a heads up.

Thanks, i guess it's back to the old drawing board!

pm sent
    Don't get discouraged.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Save your self a lot of trouble. Over the years I have tried it all, meat and grease is going to bring in the Grizzlies. I just use dog food, cover it in sweet stuff, sugar, jello, molasses, old doughnuts and baked goods. Even bread works awesome. I have also had good luck with sweet feed. Every time I tried grease and meat products I had grizzlies come in and take over.

The other interior tip I can share is don't waste time and money by baiting too soon. The grizzlies will be on the prowl and come out first, they will be on your bait until the moose start calving, this happens around the 15th of May. Once the grizzlies get on the moose they leave my bait alone.

Baitem907 has some good scent products to bring them in, then just give them the sweetened dog food.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I like popcorn because its so lite but its a pain popping that much. I also used sweet feed last year and it work very well. Cheaper than dog food and I think it takes them longer to eat it because its mostly grain mix with pellets. You can find it at walmart. If you can find a way across the Tanana you wont have a problem with Grizzlys. Dont ask me why, F&G turned me on to it about 9 years ago I have never seen or had a pic of a grizz on my bait. Maybe because they den up back in the hills close to the wood river and dont make down into the flats till late?

J

I talked to that outfitter, and he's not baiting there this year.

All yours.

Default Thanks

So I have been doing a lot a scearching and have found some tricks I'm gonna try out. I will share and maybe you can use them:

1) take a sock, fill it with molasses and hang it from a tree. Let it drip onto the ground
    2) mix jello and a little water with your dog food.
    3) take a small jar with a lid, put in bacon grease, cut holes in lid and hang
    4) take anise, vanilla, and hazelnut coffee creamer. Mix the 2 scent and bring to boil. Add to creamer.
    5) anise, maple, and water in a spray bottle. Spray around your stand.

Well that should be a start. Good luck all!

Have you evey tried cob feed instead of doggy food. Popcorn and marshmallows are the best coverd in jello.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

So I bought a bag of popcorn today. Next step is to mix it with jello. I am going to get some in bulk at Sam's and mix it together. What is the percentage to mix? 1 box per...? I am trying to get as much scent as I can out there this year and put my "first" blackie down. I want to shoot a bear so bad. I am doing a lot of different things this year to see which one work best. Gonna put up to barrels at one stand to see if dog food and jello work good, and the second will be popcorn/marshmallows and jello. I am also going to be making bear lollipops. I have read plenty of success stories of people using such an item. I don't know if it will work, but you just never know. I am also considering the scented Crisco candles. Found a lot of different things any one want to share anything, please do. I am interested in them all.

I am wondering how many stations do most people have? I am trying it for the first time this year and was only gonna pick one spot. Also what do you guys use for barrels...

One station is enough for me. Two stations is twice the price and work. A steel barrel with a small hole so the bears have to pick out the food secured to a tree works for me. Do a search for bear barrels there are countless ideas out there.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    So I bought a bag of popcorn today. Next step is to mix it with jello. I am going to get some in bulk at Sam's and mix it together. What is the percentage to mix? 1 box per...? I am trying to get as much scent as I can out there this year and put my "first" blackie down. I want to shoot a bear so bad. I am doing a lot of different things this year to see which one work best. Gonna put up to barrels at one stand to see if dog food and jello work good, and the second will be popcorn/marshmallows and jello. I am also going to be making bear lollipops. I have read plenty of success stories of people using such an item. I don't know if it will work, but you just never know. I am also considering the scented Crisco candles. Found a lot of different things any one want to share anything, please do. I am interested in them all.
    you did pop it right? or pre popped corn? sorry just reads wrong...

I get the 50lb bag from sams for 15 bucks or so.. and air pop it into a trash can mixing as i go...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you did pop it right? or pre popped corn? sorry just reads wrong...

I get the 50lb bag from sams for 15 bucks or so.. and air pop it into a trash can mixing as i go...
    Yeah, sorry. I am going to pop it. I know it sounds funny, but I am. I will go buy the big bag at Sam's and pop it. I have never used popcorn before, so this is a first for me. I am going to mix Jello (powder) and marshmallows in with it. I can't wait till April/may.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast