Thread: Havalon Knife Report/Review

Default Havalon Knife Report/Review

After reading numerous recommendations for Havalon knives I broke down and purchased one at Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanks earlier this year. I had an opportunity to use it on an Arizona Elk hunt a few weeks ago, and the recommendations were spot on. These knives rock! The blades are incredibly sharp and easily changed, and the knife was very comfortable to use. I wish I would have purchased the blaze orange model instead of the stainless one I got simply because the orange would be much easier to see when you lay it down while skinning/quartering, but a little spray paint should provide an adequate solution. I've now got a number of premium fixed blade knives that I can't imagine using...ever again.

Kudos to those who spoke highly of the Havalon knives.

WhiteFish

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

100% agree i purchased my first one last year... and have since added two more to the bag. i really like the 5" fillet for boning.

i have a stack of knifes of various values now sitting wondering whats up? toss in a cut co double d skinner with the havalon... for HEAVY work and well... the rest become table tools
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The cutco/havalon combo is a winner in my book. We broke down 2 sitka blacktail with the cutco and didn't even need a bone saw. With a bit of pressure behind it, you can get through a complete rib cage in about 30 seconds with the Double D edge. Alaska_Lanche and I were both duly impressed....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    The cutco/havalon combo is a winner in my book. We broke down 2 sitka blacktail with the cutco and didn't even need a bone saw. With a bit of pressure behind it, you can get through a complete rib cage in about 30 seconds with the Double D edge. Alaska_Lanche and I were both duly impressed....
    as did i with it out on the Nelchina bou hunt...remove the head, feet's, split the chest and gutted in less then 5 min each..Ready to drag. mine did 5 in a day and a half..

skinned at home on the table with the havalon!

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'll hop on the band wagon as well. The past few years I've read all the great reports of Havalon knives on here. This summer I finally purchased one and used it on my September caribou hunt. Two caribou later and I thought "Yep, I've been missing out." My hunting partner was equally impressed and purchased one as soon as we returned from the trip.

I got my first one last Christmas and I got one for my boys and just bought some more for Christmas presents this year. Not sure what sportsmans charges but Barneys Sports Chalet charges 38 (Blaze Orange one) for the knife and 42 for 100 blades. Thats alot of future use for 80 bucks of awesome knife. Wish they made a fillet knife version. I suck at sharpening knives.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I got my first one last Christmas and I got one for my boys and just bought some more for Christmas presents this year. Not sure what sportsmans charges but Barneys Sports Chalet charges 38 (Blaze Orange one) for the knife and 42 for 100 blades. Thats alot of future use for 80 bucks of awesome knife. Wish they made a fillet knife version. I suck at sharpening knives.

they DO it is 5"
    http://www.havalon.com/havalon-barac...et-knives.html

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Oh I soooooo have to have one of those!!!!! Perfect size. Thanks Vince

Last spring I skinned out a 8'6 Brown Bear with only using 1 blade. The only thing I didn't use it for was detaching the skull from the spine. This fall I skinned out 3 deer using one blade also. Best knives on the market!