Thread: Moose Processing, a different way

Default Moose Processing, a different way

Our hunting party of 4 were all successful this year in getting our moose. We had alot of meat to process. We deboned and get all the fat off everything. Was very time consuming. Next year I was thinking of processing by leaving many of the bones in and using a meat band saw to cut up the meat after it has been chilled. I remember as a kid watching my uncle at his country meat market process game that he would take in. He would cut everything up just like you would a cow. I remember how great a moose steak tasted with the bone and fat left on.
    As you can see in the photo, we had 16 quarters and all the associated meat to process. We ground our own hamburger and also made a little breakfast sausage as well. Would like to know your thoughts on leaving good fat on the meat and also the bone.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh oucch... i did three moose on my own last year in one week..yeah i know the pain of that stack!!!!!!! ... the kids helped some but were in school most the day..i have been considering the saw approach also. but i need to find a butcher the show me the right way....

though this year... i did leave some fat on and it is all good with it... the moose taken here at home and the caribou from oct.. were processed easier.. i was able to actually make prime rib... using a saws all and combo blade... and ribs on the bone are dang nice..

the ribs were all smoked prior to freezing. and are a real treat.. so yeah.. bone in where and when ya can..i think it is tasty too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't have the time to cut my own meat.
    About 10 years ago I shot a moose that I could get my 4 wheeler to. He went to Glenn in 2 pieces. The steaks were the best I ever had. Rib eyes and t-bones. Glenn said he loves getting to cut a moose like a beef.
    I now go to a lot of trouble to at least leave the backbone whole, including the loins and backstraps. If I do have to cut it, it is between the 4th and 5th rib. I try and leave the quarters on the bone, but the terrain dictates that.
    Actually, it seems, the older I get the closer to the trail is where they fall.
    Bt all means, leave the fat on, you'll have tastier steaks.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Fat is a tricky substance. If your harvest is to be preserved for a week or more in the field, our studies suggest fat should be removed immediately to prevent it from turning bad. In this case, fat turns rancid the longer it's exposed to warm temperatures and direct sunlight, which then transfers odors and therefore off-tastes to otherwise good tasting meat.

However, in most cases, fat can be preserved if the harvest has spent only a few days in the field before it can be processed at home in a controled environment.

food for thought so to speak.