Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the max shot you would take hunting?

Default What is the max shot you would take hunting?

Last week just picked up a .375 Ruger (Alaskan) & .300 Win Mag and working on loads for them. Interested in what yards you are hunting game at, I know the yards will vary quite a bit depending on where you hunt.

Wondering what are average shots are hunting?

Deer
    Moose
    Black Bear
    Caribou
    Wolf
    Brown Bear

Thanks

Nothing over a hundred and prefer much closer.For me its the hunt not the shot but when close the shot is always good.JMHO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Average shot in Alaska is about 200 yards. That's why most guys sight their rifle for 2 inches high @ 100. That way most rifles would be zeroed in at 200, which is the average shot. But it all varies depending on the gun you are shooting and the terrain. For me, I won't hesitate to take a shot out to 300 yds. I prefer to be closer, and most of the time I can get closer than 300. I would be hesitant to take a shot out to 400-500 yards. That is just me. I know lots of guys that shoot comfortably at that distance all the time. I wouldn't try it with your 375 though. You are probably dropping about 3 feet at 400 yards with a 375. Now with your 300 win mag, different story. I am not real familiar with that caliber, but I would bet your bullet drop is less than 2 feet at 400 yards with that caliber. These are just rough guesses. Don't quote me on them. I am not looking at a ballistics chart as we speak. Do your own homework and figure out what your bullet drop is for the rifle you are shooting and for the type of bullet and bullet grain.

JOKE ALERT:I wouldn't shoot more than 250 yards at a conservative but I might go as far as 500 for a liberal. END OF JOKE
    Most animals have a kill zone ABOUT the size of a paper plate, some a bit larger. When I have full confidence in my firearm(not this year),
    I have no problem shooting less than 400 yards. I prefer to be less than 200 yards however.

shot distance is always the combination of of three items: the platform (weapon), user (you) and conditions (weather, terrain, angle etc)..... with those kinds of calibers you will have the horsepower to reach way out to make a POTENTIALLY clean shot... however if the other two items (user and conditions) are not good you can turn a good shot bad in a hurry.

typically the weakest link in the trio is the user... the gun has the ability to knock down an animal (non-bear) at 500 yards+ but if the user isnt heavily practised and proficient at those yards then the shot is moot and shouldnt be taken... same with conditions, even a practised user and good platform might not shoot a 500yard + shot if you have bad conditions (IE a 20knt quartering wind or something)..

if your looking at info on just the weapon performance at range go to the ballistics tables... the 375 and the 300 shoot VERY differently from each other (ballistically speaking). generally speaking you start falling off quickly after 300 yards in both bullet drop as well as ft lbs of energy.... of course that is very dependent on the load itself...

good luck :-)

Greg

I have only taken 2 shots at game over 200 yards in my life (started hunting in '87). The vast majority have been well under 100 yards. Coincidentally, the 2 long shots were both with the same gun.....one this year and one last year. That particular gun (a 270) has my only variable scope w/Leupold's long-range duplex reticle (works as advertised), and I have spent the time to practice longer range shooting with it. Even so, I won't take a long shot without the perfect set up. It is almost always possible to get closer, meaning that it is hard for me to justify taking a long shot.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by wildchild2010 View Post
    Last week just picked up a .375 Ruger (Alaskan) & .300 Win Mag and working on loads for them. Interested in what yards you are hunting game at, I know the yards will vary quite a bit depending on where you hunt.

Wondering what are average shots are hunting?

Deer: Typically in tree cover so you can jump them at close quarters. Catching them moving in and out of clearings your shot will generally be 100 yrd or less
    Moose: Depends on terrain where your hunting. could be close quarters liike deer. could also be alpine area so you could have long shots 200+
    Black Bear: mostly found in treed areas so it could be close quarters (under 100). they are also found above tree line on the slopes.. so it could be 200+
    Caribou: almost exclusivley found in open tundra and alpine terrain. longer shots are common 200+... however hunting tactics can get you much closer (spot and intercept)
    Wolf: highly variable by location and time of year... mid to long shots are common... not a lot of close quarter encounters with wolves
    Brown Bear: highly variable... can be anything from close quarters to long range up in alpine and mountain slope long range...

Thanks

See notes above

Typically under 150 yards. I try to get as close as I can but in open country that is not always possible. Too close and too much ballistic energy with the wrong bullet and you may damage too much meat, too far and you end up with a wounded animal.

The maximum shot I would take is about 2 1/2 ounces of Jack Daniels

Perfect conditions, maybe, 500yards... maybe. I have had to shoot over 200 yds only one time, it was out to 300yds, one shot, one dead caribou. 300yards and closer is a gimmie to me, provided I keep a level head. I always try to get as close as possible in any situation and the vast majority of the shots I have fired at game have been within 125yds. The closest was a moose at 27 paces.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    shot distance is always the combination of of three items: the platform (weapon), user (you) and conditions (weather, terrain, angle etc)..... with those kinds of calibers you will have the horsepower to reach way out to make a POTENTIALLY clean shot... however if the other two items (user and conditions) are not good you can turn a good shot bad in a hurry.

typically the weakest link in the trio is the user... the gun has the ability to knock down an animal (non-bear) at 500 yards+ but if the user isnt heavily practised and proficient at those yards then the shot is moot and shouldnt be taken... same with conditions, even a practised user and good platform might not shoot a 500yard + shot if you have bad conditions (IE a 20knt quartering wind or something)..

if your looking at info on just the weapon performance at range go to the ballistics tables... the 375 and the 300 shoot VERY differently from each other (ballistically speaking). generally speaking you start falling off quickly after 300 yards in both bullet drop as well as ft lbs of energy.... of course that is very dependent on the load itself...

good luck :-)

Greg
    I think you nailed it Gregg...or at least I agree with you. I prefer and primarily take close shots on game because I enjoy the stalk. I did shoot (and take) a back bear at 400 yards this spring only because I could not get any closer and I know my rifle and my handloads.

Dangerous game 100-150 yards tops depending on the gun. Preferably within 50 yards.

Non dangerous game with my .375s 300 yards or less.

General hunting with a mid or small bore 400 yards or less. If I was practicing at long distance regularly and had perfect conditions (no wind, mild consistent wind, known range, solid rest) I'd consider 500 yards on sheep and goats only. Other animals I'll elect to get MUCH closer!!!

Brett

My average is around 120 yds, always hoping to close to less than 100.
    I kinda figure the hunt isn't finished if I am still much more than a Football Field away.

And the Stalk is what the Hunt is all about for me, anything before that is still the Spotting part?
    Then, the best part of having to get CLOSER is that I get to keep hunting, versus going home earlier.

I even purposely leave my rifle sighted in at 100yds (as opposed to bumping up 2 1/2 in for 200yd center)
    to keep myself disciplined to avoid the three hundred idea,

I really like the pre kill part of the deal, much more than the post kill part, that's just my opinion tho
    might be pretty cool to go long distance Prairie Dog shooting sometime
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

500 yards max with a flat shooting cartridge on a big steady target. My buddy takes 1000 yard shots on bear all the time with a .338 lapua.
    My average is about 200yards. That's what my rifle(and I thought most others)is set for. which is 1"high at 100yards.
    My MPBR is 260yards with 50gr vmax @3700fps. The .338's is 296yards.
    So I can set my pred rifle to a half inch high at 200yards for a point blank of 260yards.

Heres chuckhawks Trajectory tables to help you set your own scope.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    JOKE ALERT:I wouldn't shoot more than 250 yards at a conservative but I might go as far as 500 for a liberal. END OF JOKE
    Most animals have a kill zone ABOUT the size of a paper plate, some a bit larger. When I have full confidence in my firearm(not this year),
    I have no problem shooting less than 400 yards. I prefer to be less than 200 yards however.
    HaHaHahahaahahaaHahahaHaHaHahahahahahahaaaahhhHaha hahahaahhaaaaaaaaahhhh.aaaaahhhh. thats funny.

Default depends on the load

I use different loads I mainly use .300 win mag with 165 grn and I feel comfortable shooting at 500 yds if I am set up

Default wth

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    500 yards max with a flat shooting cartridge on a big steady target. My buddy takes 1000 yard shots on bear all the time with a .338 lapua.
    My average is about 200yards. That's what my rifle(and I thought most others)is set for. which is 1"high at 100yards.
    So I can set my pred rifle to a half inch high at 200yards for a point blank of 260yards.

how many wounded bears result from 1000 yard shots?

I don't know your buddy, so I won't argue that he is not capable of doing that. Certainly the 338 Lapua is capable of very long shots. For myself, though, I don't care what gun I'm using, I can't ever see taking a shot like that. I'm not hunting ragheads in Al Qaeda-stan, I'm hunting meat for the freezer.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

My buddy takes 1000 yard shots on bear all the time with a .338 lapua.
    That's absurd! No one has any business shooting big game animals at that distance. It shows a complete and utter lack or respect for the animal. Anyone doing this is simply throwing one out there and hoping it conects.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    ragheads in Al Qaeda-stan
    Perhaps you could rephrase that next time. I'm pretty sure Brian and the lot try to keep this place family friendly and I'm not sure racial slurs/derogatory remarks towards entire groups of people fall into the category of family friendly. What do you think???

Brett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast