Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you fish for Arctic Char?

Default How do you fish for Arctic Char?

Anyone want to shell out some tips? I recently went to a valley lake with AkNook in attempt to catch some Arctic Char, but was shut down. While we were fishing we saw 6 to 8 nice sized fish around the two holes we were fishing but couldn't get them to bite. I've never seen fish of this size school up like this! We both saw them attacking our Split Shot while we were jigging everything from Eggs Clusters, Shrimp, Grubs, Spoons, Minnows, and single salmon eggs, but we couldn't get them to hit. WTH? I've had pretty good success against Rainbows, but haven't had the same luck with Arctic Char. What the hell is with these fish? I would love to hear some feedback on how fellow forum member have had success against these creatures of the deep...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Oh and here is the Rainbow I caught today, not bad...18" on the ice scooper...

IMG_0112.jpg

looks great bigcox! sorry i cant help you much with the char.
    Semper Fi!

in the summer ive caught them with krocodile's, so im guessing those would also work for ice fishing? i've never tried ice fishing for them though

I have had luck jigging for them with Kroc spoons

I caught a 25" Char out of Finger lake several years ago with a small orange Rat Finkee jig and a piece of shrimp. Jigged right off the bottom.

Caught a 23" Char out of Finger on Rapala Jigging Shad Rap, blue, right off the bottom.

Both were around 20' of water or so. Hope this helps a bit...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I usually do pretty good w/ smaller spoons like daredevils or little cleos. I did notice the other day that the gold or brass spoons were producing better than the silver (the unpainted backsides) My issue is finding single hooks that aren't too bug that fit over the spilt ring that the treble was on.

I wish I could help you out Big Cox. I have caught lots of Char and Rainbows in the same spot using the same bait. I usually just use lead head jigs with a little rubber skirt and some fresh cocktail shrimp. I just think they are not as aggressive as the bows are in December. Now in a another month, it will be the other way around. You will have a hard time to get rainbows to bite after the oxygen in the water starts to deplete. But the Char remain consistent throughout the winter. Where did you try? Maybe there's not a lot of Char in the lake you were fishing. For the big Char, I know you gotta go deeper. Like somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-40 feet. I have heard of guys having better success with bright shiny spoons and jigging when fishing deeper.

If your after the bigger char use a the krocs that are atleast four inches in length nothing wrong with bigger than that either, fish them right off the bottom in nothing less than 15 feet of water couple small jigs of the rod and then one big jig over your head and let it flutter down. Be ready for the hit on the drop.

If your marking fish on your flasher or camera but they are not moving reel up about five feet while raising your rod over your head so that you have moved your lure ten feet or so in the water collum then drop your rod tip back down to ice level, had alot of char stare at a spoon and not make a move on it till it starts to move as you reel in some of them coming all the way up and hitting just below the ice.

If your in a lake with big char don't be afraid of big lures.

1oz all silver crocs

aero jigs:

Phobes:
    phobes.jpg

Small tube jigs and Zoom super Flukes. all but the aero jigs i use tipped with shrimp where legal in between 15 and 20 ft. hope this helps. good luck. hit me up next time you go .
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Something else about the char I have noticed is, where I fish them, they are a morning fish, after 11 or so, the bite seems to slow way down

I like to use a big spoon when targeting char. To attract them I let my lures(the big spoons) sink all the way to the bottom, and then rapidly bring it back up, and then repeat until a fish or a school comes by(I've also noticed that this works for lakers too). If they're not interested in biting the big spoons, but are still around, I switch to a smaller silvery lure with some balls of fire and fish near the bottom. I fish in clear water(10ft-20ft) with a tent so I can see them cruising and biting.
    I used to have this mainly yellow with some red stripes Kroc spoon that was about 4in long that the Char just went crazy for, whether they were 8in or 20in, they just loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    I like to use a big spoon when targeting char. To attract them I let my lures(the big spoons) sink all the way to the bottom, and then rapidly bring it back up, and then repeat until a fish or a school comes by(I've also noticed that this works for lakers too). If they're not interested in biting the big spoons, but are still around, I switch to a smaller silvery lure with some balls of fire and fish near the bottom. I fish in clear water(10ft-20ft) with a tent so I can see them cruising and biting.
    I used to have this mainly yellow with some red stripes Kroc spoon that was about 4in long that the Char just went crazy for, whether they were 8in or 20in, they just loved it.
    I think it was because you spit on your lure.

Jigging Rapalas and Airplane jigs have worked for me in the past.
    Caught a 4#er once on an orange Airplane jig.
    I caught a few dollys yesterday fishing with Bluethunder.
    Also caught some rainbows the biggest going @ 16". Tried to post some pics from my phone but just get an error message.
    The best lure yesterday was a white berkley powerbait atomic teaser with yellow teaser.
    Tipped it with raw shrimp.
    I never have liked the cocktail shrimp raw shrimp stays on the hook 100% better.
    Also caught some smaller fish on a swedish pimple and a popee spoon witch is a teardrop.
    A good mix of rainbows and dollies.
    A balmy -4 in the morning but warmed to +5 when we left Island lake.
    Of course it was nice and comfy in my heated shanty.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Wow! So many suggestions, not enough time. I think I'm gonna need to call in sick to try all of these out! Thanks everyone!

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Jigging Rapalas and Airplane jigs have worked for me in the past.
    Tipped it with raw shrimp.
    I never have liked the cocktail shrimp raw shrimp stays on the hook 100% better.
    Where you can use bait, I have had better success with the raw shrimp as well. Wild shrimp seems better than farmed shrimp. I have friends that swear by the cocktail shrimp. A good trick that works for us is to microwave the small cocktail shrimp for 10 or 15 seconds (depending on quantity) and it will make them a bit more rubbery and stays on the hook better.

For char, it always seems like lures outproduce bait for our group.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Wow! So many suggestions, not enough time. I think I'm gonna need to call in sick to try all of these out! Thanks everyone!

Fish On!
    Wow...the alternative to work...sounds good. Looks like you got lots of feedback.....try orange yarn...LMAO

I will show you what those "arctic char" look like soon.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Yep, orange yarn... or red.
    Out in the Dillingham area we never used bait, just tipped a Daredevil with yarn. I learned that from Eskimos.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post

Fish On!
    I just got back from Big Lake and I got skunked! That sealed the deal, I'm done going ice fishing on low pressure snow days it always seems dead. I had a couple lazy little bites but nothing aggressive enough to get a hook set. Am I the only one that doesn't catch on snow days?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I just got back from Big Lake and I got skunked! That sealed the deal, I'm done going ice fishing on low pressure snow days it always seems dead. I had a couple lazy little bites but nothing aggressive enough to get a hook set. Am I the only one that doesn't catch on snow days?
    That's interesting. On Big Lake, I seem to try and avoid the high pressure blue bird days. Its been an ongoing discussion for our group. We always just realize that the only truth in fishing is that "the fish are in the water." so we go when we can.

Anyone else have an observation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast