Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The finest bolt action carbine I've seen in years:

Default The finest bolt action carbine I've seen in years:

CZ recently introduced their 20 inch barreled carbine in a kevlar stock. Keep in mind this rifle only weigh 7lbs, will hold six cartridges in the magazine (even with one in the chamber), and has the finest open sights I've ever shot. The rifle chambered in 9.3X62 Mauser would be just about perfect IMO:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/550CarbineKevlar/

Attached Images Attached Images

According to their specs, it has a 20.5" barrel and holds 4 in the magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Short barrel, big price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    According to their specs, it has a 20.5" barrel and holds 4 in the magazine.
    I know, what's puzzling is I can fit six in the magazine of my CZ.........what's going on here?

That is definitely odd...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

mainer
    you have an exception to the rule rifle . I have the wood stocked 550FS ( 9.3 ) and it holds 5 in the magazine..I agree about the CZ being a fine rifle...

Now to be perfect it would be in 9.3x64mm.......
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I've been eyeballing the 9.3x62 Carbine-Kevlar as well. It appears to be the exact same rifle as the 550 FS, but put into the new B&C Kevlar stock. Sounds like a good package. Some Varget and 250s or some Big Game and 286s, and it would do the trick.

A hunting rifle thats battle ready,you got to love little rifles like that. Lite as it is you can take it to the mountains and bag a fullkurl sheep
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

mainer in ak:

Wowsy, all that and IRON SIGHTS TOO.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mainer,

Have you held one?.......I wonder if the stock drop is low enough to use a receiver sight without raising it to a rediculous elevation.?

Thanks

From what I've seen on the CZ, you're not going to get a receiver sight any lower than the fixed barrel sights, and you can get down onto the barrel sights and use them with the stock.

I'd rather have a stainless Ruger 375 Ruger Alaskan. A better package for up here.

I don't believe for a moment the .375 Ruger is a better "package", more recoil does not equate to "better". The killing effect of the 9.3 is just as good as the .375 Ruger/HH.....the disadvantage lies only in availablitity of over the counter fodder. I've handled and shot them both and like the 9.3 in its entirety. The CZ has always been a nice rifle especially in the American model, it has not caught on well like the Ruger and Winchester of America but suspect it will in time. To ream it out for a 9.3x64 is ideal but would involve finding a good source of brass. I located brass and have some 350 pcs. of it both from R.Martini and Huntington....not ideal but, a good round. What is not to like about the "handiness" of a short barrel so called carbine with 5 down and hits like it should....a perfect Alaskan rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Mainer,

Have you held one?.......I wonder if the stock drop is low enough to use a receiver sight without raising it to a rediculous elevation.?

Thanks
    Vern,
    Not sure about the synthetic stock, but these sights are very precise. I recently shot three shots at a 100 yd. target. One from the prone, one kneeling, and one offhand. All shots were right at a 2.5" group. I figured the sights surely don't need to be changed to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd rather have a stainless Ruger 375 Ruger Alaskan. A better package for up here.
    Your statement is merely opinion. I had a 375 Ruger, and I'm glad I got rid of it. Less magazine capacity, heavier, more recoil, UGLY, barley any case taper (read my: stuck case in a 375 Ruger thread), and a cheap plastic stock.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Short barrel, big price.
    And with a 286 grain Norma load will flat spank your butt like your mama used to too!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Your statement is merely opinion. I had a 375 Ruger, and I'm glad I got rid of it. Less magazine capacity, heavier, more recoil, UGLY, barley any case taper (read my: stuck case in a 375 Ruger thread), and a cheap plastic stock.
    I don't see why you are so hardcore about needing 5 rounds in the magazine for.

And what's ugly about a 375 Ruger?

Looks all business-like to me.

Matt
    I like the 5 rounds in mag also. When I carried the rem. 700 I always had rounds on the stock for extras, why not just load them in the mag with CZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    And with a 286 grain Norma load will flat spank your butt like your mama used to too!
    Yip, I must agree. My hunting partner and I saw a massive grizzly this past season that towered over 6ft. tall brush. I killed the motor on my freighter canoe and slowly paddled toward shore. Once we were within 25 yds. of that big bear, it reminded me just why that 9.3 was in my hand. We didn't take the bear because it was getting late, and it was the first day moose hunting. My hunting partner has been badgering me about that decision ever since. I've never seen an interior grizz that large. I usually travel with an unloaded chamber so it was nice to know that after quietly working the bolt, there was still more than 5 rounds in the gun. Talk about an adrenaline rush......getting "mean mugged" by the largest grizz I've ever seen for a good 2-3 minutes within 25 yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast