Thread: Irony... How bad do you REALLY want that first moose?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Irony... How bad do you REALLY want that first moose?

So! ol sugar Ray-Ray... spent many years trying for his first moose...

this last year he drew an antler-less tag and finally bagged his first AK moose... i helped him though the season... and processed it for him... he was a happy happy fella...

So where does the Irony kick in?

he has hit two moose in two weeks wrecking two semi's... and currently sitting in the ditch outside Houston in the three lane waiting for wrecker with another load of new cars on...

try as he might all them years... he is up to three this year.. and being over 90,000 lbs the moose kill crew has been done before he gets out.. both times..

his insurance co loves him... some one take him a cup of black coffee.. thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I just passed it. Looked like they were off loading the vehicles, to get some weight off. Dead Moose on the shoulder of the road. Luck runs in three's. Maybe he is in for a dry spell, for awhile. Hope he is OK.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yeah he is fine... called me just hung up.. he has about a hour wait for a large enough wrecker from Anchorage.. trooper called a 15,000 lb truck to pull on him.. lol not a chance.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is he still there, it'll take me a minute to make some coffee....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Crappy way to spend an evening, for sure.

was five min ago deb... want his cell?

meet on face book here

I'm here now.....brought him some cider since I had no idea how to make coffee....he's out into the ditch a good 15 feet. Two huge wreckers are working on getting him out. They have me sitting on the blind corner with my flashers since Houstons finest decided it was time to go home.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Ive hit more with my vehicle, then with my bullets.... (1)..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

He's on the road now, what a NICE guy! The moose was salvaged..Time for bed...

The first one a lot,not so much after that.Find it easier to poor boy beg a roast a couple times a year for moose needs plus our two wild game dinners
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    He's on the road now, what a NICE guy! The moose was salvaged..Time for bed...
    he really is.. funny to Daniel in AK laughs the entire time they are together up here... Ol Ray kinda fills the spot my dad would take as Sr hunter in my life... but dad gave that up years ago when my sister passed.. soo.... yeah. Thanks for the hot drink to him Deb.. i am sure i will hear about it later... after all.. he really is not much more the a kid with a vulgar vocab! LOL

meet on face book here

Curious if anybody knows how many moose/auto accidents AK averages a year?
    I spoke to an outfitter in NF a couple weeks back and he said that they hit over 600 a year on the "rock" as he calls it....
    About a 60% human mortality rate also - eeek...
    Glad your buddy is OK!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've hit three and killed two of them with two different Toyota trucks. Much more accurate than some folks' rifles, but a lot more expensive of a hunt, fer' sure....

We've been fortunate; when we've hit them we've never suffered any injury other than temporary loss of transportation of financial inconvenience.

When my wife hit a yearling with a Toyota Tercel (the fourth moose hit by my immediate family, and the third one we've killed with a MV), the vehicle fared better than either of my two trucks did, mostly due to the car riding much lower; the moose was thrust into the windshield, then up and over the top of the car, and rolled off the back corner in her case. Couldn't even tell she'd hit a moose, but for a dent in the forward egde of one fender, and the shattered, inverted windshield with nary a sq. inch left intact.

In that one, my oldest boy had -just- visited the transfer site, and had procured a full-face helmet someone had tossed out, which he had held in his lap. The moose came up against the windshield immediately in front of my son, who reflexively raised the helmet in front of him, thus blocking the shards of safety glass that -did- manage to get loose from the windshield.

All in all, we've been lucky. Catching 1,000 lbs. (+/-) in your lap at -any- speed can cause a serious bump in your day.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    I've hit three and killed two of them with two different Toyota trucks. Much more accurate than some folks' rifles, but a lot more expensive of a hunt, fer' sure....

We've been fortunate; when we've hit them we've never suffered any injury other than temporary loss of transportation of financial inconvenience.

When my wife hit a yearling with a Toyota Tercel (the fourth moose hit by my immediate family, and the third one we've killed with a MV), the vehicle fared better than either of my two trucks did, mostly due to the car riding much lower; the moose was thrust into the windshield, then up and over the top of the car, and rolled off the back corner in her case. Couldn't even tell she'd hit a moose, but for a dent in the forward edge of one fender, and the shattered, inverted windshield with nary a sq. inch left intact.

In that one, my oldest boy had -just- visited the transfer site, and had procured a full-face helmet someone had tossed out, which he had held in his lap. The moose came up against the windshield immediately in front of my son, who reflexively raised the helmet in front of him, thus blocking the shards of safety glass that -did- manage to get loose from the windshield.

All in all, we've been lucky. Catching 1,000 lbs. (+/-) in your lap at -any- speed can cause a serious bump in your day.

All in all.. i would say i have been very lucky, Dad started me driving at age 12, and to date i have yet to hit a moose.. (knok on wood yet) 30 years on the roads.. None of my family has hit one either... come close many times but..... WHEW!

HOWEVER! I did have one run into me.. though i was at a dead stop in traffic out side big lake and a cow/calf combo ran out through us.. and the calf run right into my 78 for LTD.. nothing damaged there... it looked at me like it was my fault got up and walked away... (musta been a girl calf)

i have seen a lot hit though. living in Healy, when the bou were moving along the river.. many folk come in hurt after one or 6 run the the side windows coming off the hills...

seen a moose decapitated and inside a mini van on the rich north of Valdez,

worse one was an F 350 with trailer, six sleds and six guys passed me north bound little willow creek.. as i come around seen the cow ONE The Bridge.. those guys passed me coming out of the corner,, never seen a break light. moose landed nearly 100 feet or better down in the creek. looked like a big brown and red water balloon.. all six walked away with out a scratch... truck hood ornament was on the dash...

meet on face book here

The one I hit that I didn't kill essentially walked into me. A big cow.

I was going up-hill on glare ice (the wet, water-on-smooth-ice, soggy-December-in-Kodiak-kinda'-ice) during a chinook in the Interior. I was only doing about 30 mph, going up-hill, and she walked out in front of me from the left, on a dirt road. I didn't have studs on the truck (It was the -last- winter I went without them, btw. Every winter since I've made sure to have them on. Specifically due to this particular moose encounter!).

I hit the brakes, and realized immediately that the truck wasn't slowing down or maneuvering as I'd hoped it would, despite the up-hill motion and relatively slow speed. So I looked for a nice soft landing spot in the ditch, and headed for it. Not the first time that an angular retreat was attempted for the purposes of saving someone's bacon, btw.

I'd just gotten the truck back from the body shop after my wife had nearly totalled it in a serious accident, and up 'til that point I'd never even had any real body work done to a vehicle, let alone -that- degree of body work.

I landed in the ditch nice and soft, and that ignorant arctic rumenant, that air-headed tundra bovine, walked straight into the front left fender and forward edge of my driver's door, knocking off my moderately expensive side-view mirror, apparently just for good measure, and left a nice $500.00+ dent in the front driver's fender. I'd had the truck back from the shop for maybe a day or two at that point.

Now when someone scratches my truck, puts a small ding in it, etc., I try to ignore it for a while, for the sheer superstitious belief associated with freshly fixed body damage, and my observation that the cosmos, nature, what ever, seems to hate fresh paint on sheet metal for some reason.

Why push the river, eh?