Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving companies

Default Moving companies

I have a friend who is wanting to move to Anchorage and has some furniture to bring up. I'm trying to help her out and I'm trying to find a moving company to get her stuff moved up here. Can anybody recommend a moving company or a relatively cheap way to get some furniture moved up here. Thanks

When you "up here", do you mean from outside Alaska? If so I think it's cheaper to sale the furniture and buy new in Alaska. You might have her check out Totem and see what they can do.

Yeah I do mean from outside. Sorry I thought that would be implied in the relocating to Alaska section. Thanks for the suggestion

Hello-
    All of the major brands are represented in Alaska. You can go to there van line website and search for an agent in Alaska. I would receommend calling the agent in Alaska because they typically are more informative about moving to Alaska. Som of the major van lines are: Allied, Graebel, United, Mayflower, and North American. Depending on the size of the shipment a move to Alaska can run anywhere from $2 to $3 per pound.

Unless it's a family heirloom, tell her to sell it down there and buy new or used up here. Depending on what part of the state she'll be moving to, there are good odds of getting furnature at garage sales from folks that are getting rid of furnature before heading south.

This state of US has most severe weather and the temperature is always below zero Celsius. So , if you want to plan a campaign to move through Alaska then you need to hire an agent who knows the town very well as you never know where the land ends and where the water lake begin.

How about drive it up yourself, UHaul or trailer. Might be the most work but the most economical.

Do NOT use Ace in Anchorage, wont get into specifics. PM me if you like.
    Paul

I have also been trying to find some movers to help me out. Thought I would check back with some of you members. I found a few companies, but was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by sally3d View Post
    I have also been trying to find some movers to help me out. Thought I would check back with some of you members. I found a few companies, but was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation.
    Where will this move start and where will it go to??

I have used Carlile twice. A whole trailer from Houston Tx. and a consolidated load from Tacoma Wa.
    service was excellent.
    If I was moving to Anch. I would arrive and look around and then go back and ship up what you need. You will ship a lot less stuff up here.

I cannot recommend an interstate/international moving service or freight hauler. That being said, one should seriously consider the cost of shipping vs. the cost of buying new after arrival, chances are VERY likely that shipping will exceed the value of the items and/or the cost of a new purchase. Selling as much as possible before the move should be considered.

I would recommend getting quotes from several movers in the area. You can get them by visiting movers

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    Do NOT use Ace in Anchorage, wont get into specifics. PM me if you like.
    I 2nd this!!!! I have a horror story with them too, PM me if you like
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

If you require the utmost in security for your stuff, rent an entire steel container and have it shipped up here.

You put your padlock on it there, and your padlock is still on it here, unless customs wants a peek, which is rare.

A "normal" moving company might load/unload your stuff a few times between there and here, and if you're moving fragile stuff, you might not want that.

Steel containers come in 20 and 40 foot lengths.

Save the most money by Uhauling your stuff to a coastal city, like Seattle, and load your steel container there; that will save a ton over getting an overland trucking company to park your shipping container in your yard down there - but that is possible too, if you want to pay for it.

Same up here. Cheaper would be to unload your container in the Anchorage yard, and Uhaul it yourself to its final destination.

ABF self pack trailers are the way to go moved a bunch of heavey stuff outside, you pay by the foot of trailer you use load it put up a locking divider and they deliver it to location. I think you get a couple of days on each end.

I recieved a quote from them.. ohio to Fairbanks.. 13 feet of trailor space=$11,859.. WOW.. for 13 feet of trailor.. We are moving up in next couple months and have extra room in our enclosed trailor if anyone is looking for space! akhuisman@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bound family View Post
    I recieved a quote from them.. ohio to Fairbanks.. 13 feet of trailor space=$11,859.. WOW.. for 13 feet of trailor.. We are moving up in next couple months and have extra room in our enclosed trailor if anyone is looking for space! akhuisman@gmail.com
    Look on Craigslist for Fairbanks. Gauge the price of trailers there. Chances are you could buy a beautiful trailer there in OH and sell it in Fairbanks, and come out allright. Or maybe that's already your plan.

We actually have a 24' enclosed that we are using. Paid $4400 brand new with tandem 5200# axles both with brakes. That should do us! Otherwise we have too much stuff!!

I actually plan to have extra space if anyone needs stuff to come up! We will be moving to LI WA Bible camp at Steese and CHSPR.

I figure I will be able to sell the trailor for at least what i paid for it up there in Fairbanks!

What ever you do don't use Allisons. Had very bad experience with those folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast