Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: proposal 193 from Nancy

Default proposal 193 from Nancy

a proposal is out to reduce bag limit on goldeneyes in units 5,6,7,8,9,10,14,15,16 to 2 a day 6 in possession. prop 193 is available online at the AK board of game website in their spring 2011 book. written comments due by feb. sos

Please post a link. I surfed around the ADF&G site and didn't see the proposal.

Also, who is Nancy? Maybe I am reading this wrong but I get a feeling that she's in a war with commercial duck guides. I don't want to see the average citizen duck hunter affected negatively because of something that the guides (or some rude or clueless hunters) are doing.

It just takes some rudeness or other abuse to get the whole system changed for the bad.

What is this lady's beef and who put her on a mission?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...book-FINAL.pdf

ADFG site/ to boards page/ to board of game proposal book
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

ALERT!!!! Nancy Hillstrand also has a proposal before the board of game (194)to stop the hunting of waterfowl by guided hunters"in her bay".
    The fact is that everyone who puts forward a proposal to the board of game has an agenda. Some are justified. I do not consider hers in this class. She must have a bone to pick with all waterfowlers. The idea that people who hire a guide do not hunt for food and cause "wanton waste and excessive cripling" is not acucurate. (read her proposal). She somehow seems to think that because she has lived someplace longer than most she has more rights to the resource (more subsistance elitist attitude) Truth be told, no one hunts waterfowl for subsistance.!!!! If you add up the cost of gun,shells,boat gas,stamps and license you could easily buy meat from the store much cheaper. That does not include feeding a dog for a whole year to retrieve some of the birds. (those guys who do not use a dog lose more birds). The "traditional waterfowling" that she talks of has deep roots in the guiding industry all across america. Waterfowling is not just about the meat gathering. It is about the old traditions of man,dog, decoys and the art of wingshooting. Most waterfowers do not kill everything that comes into their decoys,unlike subsitance meat hunters. I'll bet that she never has done anything to improve waterfowl habitat anywhere in the U.S.
    Fact is that waterfowlers account for very little of the mortality of duck populations (take a look at the liberal hunting on snow geese in the lower 48. Even after over 10 years of intense hunting pressure there is still an over population. They also account for all of the habitat restoration. (most lost to farming) .
    We need to be vigilant against people who divide the hunting community into seperate groups. This is always the beginning of the process for those that want to put and end to hunting,trapping and fishing.

Board of game proposal 193 was put forward by SEA DUCKS UNLIMITED,INC. Does anyone know who this group is? I can not seem to find anything.

"Also, who is Nancy? Maybe I am reading this wrong but I get a feeling that she's in a war with commercial duck guides. I don't want to see the average citizen duck hunter affected negatively because of something that the guides (or some rude or clueless hunters) are doing." Quote

Nancy has a place in Sadie cove and owns a large fish packing buisness in homer, so she gets a lot of support from other buisness owners in Homer. She likes her goldeneyes and does not want them hunted. She (and others) did not now that goldeneyes are not a seaduck and got the seaduck limit lowered last year. I think this is just the begining. Any questions PM me. Thanks Buck for the update

Last year her proposal passed that reduced the limits on harlequin, oldsquaw and eiders in unit 15C (Homer.) She has been putting in proposals for the better part of 2 decades and finally saw some action in her favor this past year. I've tried to go to her business to talk to her politely and professionally (no name calling) and my timing tends to be off since she wasn't there, and its not a normal place I go to for processing. I haven't looked at the proposal or evidence from her, but what was submitted that I think got the limits reduced was statistics from here http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...-duck-mgmt.pdf and in that document it says the Goldeneye population is growing, rather than the sea ducks listed that did get a reduction and a lot of information is from the mid 90's maybe 2003 depending on what fits for their want to reduce duck hunting.

Here is her proposal:

PROPOSAL 194 - 5 AAC 85.065. Hunting seasons and bag limits for small game. Change
    the regulations for waterfowl in Region II and Region IV.

I would like to see a framework in our regulations where if there is a conflict between users of the resource, declining species, or localized depletion, that separate hunting regulations can be applied to commercialized guided bird hunting for profit and sport so that those who are hunting for food in their areas will not be impacted by regulation changes.

ISSUE: Commercialized migratory or resident bird hunting for profit and sport, removing the biomass bay by bay along coastlines and in front of people's homes, creating localized depletions where the average Alaskan going out hunting for food would not have this impact and should not have to pay with restrictions when they are not the cause of the problems.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE?

WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR THE PRODUCTS
    PRODUCED BE IMPROVED?

WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT? Everyone, especially Alaskan waterfowl hunters who hunt
    for food since the resource won't be wasted, flocks will be allowed to grow back in depleted bays. Birds won't be in such a froth from being chased around by shooters who really do not understand the tradition of water-fowling. Everyone will also benefit because I will be able to stop putting in these proposals trying to find solutions. Landowners like me will benefit because 238possibly the rafts of birds that were depleted for 18 years ago by commercial guided hunting parties in front of my home will be allowed to grow back in the remote bay I have lived in for the past 32 years and I will once again be able to see them, hear them, and enjoy them in my front yard which is why I live remote.

WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? No one. Logical regulations separate from the local water-fowler will address the special needs for commercial guided sport hunting like trophy hunting and sport shooting. It will not cut off opportunity, it will simply provide a more sane hunt that addresses the problems caused by money motivated or cast and blast hunting that causes wanton waste, excessive crippling and depletion of birds.

OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED:

PROPOSED BY: Nancy Hillstrand
    LOG NUMBER: EG110910204
    It is on pages 237-238 in the document posted by Vince.

I have to say that I wrote in opposition of her proposal from last year and this new one is even more of an insult. Her methods to control the bay in front of her home sets a TERRIBLY dangerous precedent for property owners boardering public hunting areas around the state. She has no evidence and tries to claim that guides and their clients are wasting game, which is already illegal, lowering bag limits is not needed when she can call the troopers.

Erich

The same arguement was made last year when she got the bag limits reduced for Harlequins and Oldsquaws. Waterfowlers wasting birds is not a bag limit issue it is an inforcement issue. If this is truly her reason for puting in this proposal, maybe she should be fighting for more troopers down there instead. Like I said last year with this same fight, it is a bird watcher that enjoys watching HER sea ducks out side of her back patio, and believes nobody else should have a right to them. However, her proposal last year succeeded so I assume she will keep putting them in until there is no waterfowling left in Katchemak bay. The big worry I have with this proposal is that the BOG voted to reduce the bag limits for harle's and oldsquaws with no scientific studies, and everybody telling them there was no reason to reduce the limits. And in my experience with BOG, once they take something away, don't expect to get it back without a fight.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Wow....These people wont stop until waterfowl hunting is completly outlawed in Kachemak Bay. It will be intersting to hear what the Homer Advisory Committe says about proposals 193 and 194. I urge all of you duck hunters out there to get educated on these topics and submit comments to the BOG and to you rlocal advisory committes in opposition to these proposals. There is definetly an agenda at work here, and it is clear by reading the proposal.

how does she have any proof that the numbers are falling because of cripples? and i like how she points out in her statment that she knows the "real" traditions of waterfowling. i would love to hear here explain the traditions. I think the hillstrand brothers have to have a talk with their relative(if they are related lol)

That staement caught my eye as well kwack. She doesnt have a clue about real waterfowling traditions.

Is this the same Hillstrand as the Hillstrands on Deadliest Catch? Maybe there mother? I do know that they are from Homer. Either way not impressed with her ideas, totally clueless

I made a poll to get the word out. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ps-193-amp-194

I've also included more info and a template letter to send your comments. Let me know if you have any formatting questions about the template letter.

Erich

Thanks Eric 870!
    I also do not hunt out of Homer but this is too important to ignore just because you do not hunt in a certain area.
    People belong to many conservation organizations that never do projects in the area that affect you and still willingly donate because they care about the resource as a whole.
    I will certainly send them something. I will also travel to Anc. for the meeting.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/a...ched/homer.php
    There are advisory committees as well. The one for Homer is held January 22nd found in the link above. I hope I am able to take off work to make it. If I do, I hope any water fowler makes it. The goldeneye proposal affects any coastal community from Yakutat to Adak. The Advisory Committee does carry some weight when the big BOG meeting takes place in March.

good to see some people getting involved, this affects all of us in Alaska. this is indeed the same H family, deadliest mother i suppose. she got her way last time remember, it took getting the BOG to look at the proposal again, after they passed it, to reconsider. dont let it get that far again. she is relentless.

I did some googling of Nancy Hillstrand and see that she has made a career out of the elimination of hunters in her field of view. She's been a squeaky wheel for decades.

Where exactly is her front yard? I have seen reports that she's from Halibut Cove. Someone mentioned that she's in Sadie Cove. Does she have homes in both?

Maybe the solution is to have the Fish and Game folks close hunting in the bay in which she lives and revert the rest of Kachemak Bay back to 10 sea ducks a day. Nancy's efforts are a clear attempt to stop hunting when you pare the sea duck limit down from 10 to 2.

I'd rather toss her a bone by closing duck shooting in her front yard if it means that we can get our 10 duck limit back in the rest of Kachemak Bay.

Regardless, out of sight, out of mind. If hunters know where she is living and make a conscious effort to avoid shooting ducks in front of her then maybe she'll go back to needle point or something. The worst thing would be to intentionally set a spread in front of her home and blast away. It would be legal, but it would be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

AS I have been told Nancy Hillstrand is the Stepmother to the Deadliest Catch boys and she owns Cold Point fish processing plant on the Homer Spit. The guy I talked to about her last summer told me she funds a lot of green projects and does not get along to well with the workers there because of her "green" stance.

One person does not own or control a resource. I love hunting Golden Eyes in my opinion they are on of the most beautiful birds. Please if you are a waterfowler now is the time to get involved. It only takes a few minutes to type out a note the BOG and send it. If you can make the meeting even better.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

i have intentionally stayed away from sadie cove for years to see if that could restore some peace but that doesnt work with people like this. she wants hunters and guides eradicated from K-Bay and will stop at nothing to achieve this goal. i believe she is expanding her area of concern to other regions in the state so she has more to negotiate with the BOG.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast