Thread: Any info on a .338 RSM

Default Any info on a .338 RSM

The search engine on this forum is least to be desired. Sorry if this has been brought up before. I recently held a 300 and 338 RSM and I really liked it. I am a fan of iron sights but do like the option of see thru mounts so I can use both. Plus its a pound lighter. I could add sites on my current M77 .338 also, but like the short barrel so far. Found some weaver style sights for an M77 Hawkeye on Midway USA so I could use both. The ballistics appears to be about about the same between the RSM vs normal magnums. Does anyone have a RSM in .300 or .338 and if so, how do you like it? Also, has anyone used the see thru mounts on a magnum rifle before? Not sure if it will hold well. I currently have one on my Win Mod 70 in a 3006 and I love it. Had it for 25 years with same mounts.

Opps, I meant .338 RCM not RSM

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    The search engine on this forum is least to be desired
    I've not had much trouble with the search engine so I did a quick search for you and came up with a number of hits if you were intending to search for the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM). These seem most pertinent:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Also, has anyone used the see thru mounts on a magnum rifle before? Not sure if it will hold well...
    Not on purpose.

IME (and I'll readily admit I've never owned a pair--though I have vast experience trying to help others use them on their rifles) see-thru mounts are the least durable means available to mount a scope to a rifle. If you have had good success with them in the past, maybe they will work for you again, but I'll say that of the literal dozens of rifles I've been cursed to work with using see-thru rings I've never experienced one that would hold a stable zero under hunting conditions. Obviously, YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My dad has a .338 win mag with see through scope mounts. Had the same mounts and scope on that gun for about 25 years, since it was new. That gun has killed several animals, and trust me, my dad does not do a whole lot of shooting, checks it once before he goes on a hunt with his gun. But just because he has had no issues with keeping it zeroed in does not me he is not the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    My dad has a .338 win mag with see through scope mounts. Had the same mounts and scope on that gun for about 25 years, since it was new. That gun has killed several animals, and trust me, my dad does not do a whole lot of shooting, checks it once before he goes on a hunt with his gun. But just because he has had no issues with keeping it zeroed in does not me he is not the exception to the rule.
    I'm pretty much in line with your dad. I don't shoot that much either. When I pull the trigger, I like to eat something. I grew up on open sights and my first scope was on that 3006 with the see thru mounts. I can honestly say, I've use the iron sites more then the scope on harvesting meat. Reason I like the the see thru mounts is peace of mind. If for some reason, my gun falls, or it hit it. I can get on a rest, put a bead on a target or spot and them raise my eye to check my scope. That way, I don't have to make noise or spend a round and give my position away to check my equipmennt. I've had 2 occasions in my life when I pulled up my scope, saw nothing due to it being fogged up so I just dropped to iron sites. Same on a few occasions when the critter is too close and all you see is hair. I also dropped it on a rock once and lost my zero on the scope. Ended up replaceing that one, but I did shoot a deer that day with iron sites.

1Cor, Thanks for the research. He Has Risen!

The search engine on this forum is least to be desired. Sorry if this has been brought up before. I recently held a 300 and 338 RSM and I really liked it. I am a fan of iron sights but do like the option of see thru mounts so I can use both. Plus its a pound lighter. I could add sites on my current M77 .338 also, but like the short barrel so far. Found some weaver style sights for an M77 Hawkeye on Midway USA so I could use both. The ballistics appears to be about about the same between the RSM vs normal magnums. Does anyone have a RSM in .300 or .338 and if so, how do you like it? Also, has anyone used the see thru mounts on a magnum rifle before? Not sure if it will hold well. I currently have one on my Win Mod 70 in a 3006 and I love it. Had it for 25 years with same mounts.
    I have a 300 RCM and like it real well. I put a 2x7 Redfield scope on it. It is a nice handy rifle that works well on a horse, in a truck, or hiking in the mountains. I will use it on all North American game with the exception of coastal brown bear.

Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    I have a 300 RCM and like it real well. I put a 2x7 Redfield scope on it. It is a nice handy rifle that works well on a horse, in a truck, or hiking in the mountains. I will use it on all North American game with the exception of coastal brown bear.
    How do you use your iron sites? Do you have see thru mounts or remove the scope with quick disconnect?

How do you use your iron sites? Do you have see thru mounts or remove the scope with quick disconnect?
    A scope with the ruger mounts can be removed easily with a good screwdriver. I would only remove the scope if it was damaged on a hunting trip. That is one reason I bought a 2x7 is for the low magnification if needed. If I had the 338RCM I think a nice 1x5 would work great and just use the iron sight for backup. I do like having the iron sights on the rifles in case of a bad or damaged scope on a hunting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    A scope with the ruger mounts can be removed easily with a good screwdriver. I would only remove the scope if it was damaged on a hunting trip. That is one reason I bought a 2x7 is for the low magnification if needed. If I had the 338RCM I think a nice 1x5 would work great and just use the iron sight for backup. I do like having the iron sights on the rifles in case of a bad or damaged scope on a hunting trip.
    Thanks for the info.

If I may give my opinion, I like irons too. But I use Warne quick detachable mounts on my Rugers.
    No tools, and it WILL return to zero. I use them on .375 Ruger , .416 Ruger, and .30/06 Ruger.
    I also use the Leupold quick release weaver styles on several rifles. I am a little particular, since I
    have been a machinest all my life. But both will serve well, if mounted correctly.
    I prefer low down , to using the see-throughs. Heavy recoil may cause a damaged eyebrow if not
    solidly cheeked.
    Just my 2 cents. Good shooting!
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by bryan niess View Post
    If I may give my opinion, I like irons too. But I use Warne quick detachable mounts on my Rugers.
    No tools, and it WILL return to zero. I use them on .375 Ruger , .416 Ruger, and .30/06 Ruger.
    I also use the Leupold quick release weaver styles on several rifles. I am a little particular, since I
    have been a machinest all my life. But both will serve well, if mounted correctly.
    I prefer low down , to using the see-throughs. Heavy recoil may cause a damaged eyebrow if not
    solidly cheeked.
    Just my 2 cents. Good shooting!
    Bryan
    Thanks Brian, Thats great info. Since I've never used te detachable mounts, I really did't trust them returning to Zero. The more intel I can gather, the better off I will be. I've been fortunate in my life that I have never been hit by a scope. Seen it happen a few times to others. Hope it never happens to me, and it shouldn't as long as I shoot rifles fitted and set up for me. Thanks again.