Thread: Montague shrimp?

Default Montague shrimp?

Has anyone had any success on the northern side of montague ( preferably near port charmers) shrimping?

The closest I've shrimped to Montague is the north side of Knight. We caught a few but its definitely not worth the effort. I know that's not exactly where you asked but its as far from Whittier as I've shrimped.

Seems the farther East you get, the less shrimp there are. I have not had much luck past the east and southern side of Knight Is.
    BK

I`ll echo the lack of #s that far out...seems much better in the protected waters toward the port.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
    I am staying at the port chalmers cabin in mid june and was hoping to have some fresh shrimp to go with the Halibut and hopefully some Kings.

I will say that I may remembe some saying they caught shimp out around the south end of Montague but it could also be me dreaming of the up coming season. You might do a search and see what you can come up with.

Have a good time out there. Its a beautiful place.

We have caught some out there but I think it was between 6-9 shrimp for 6 hour soak...enough for a snack.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Snowbird,

Our first trip out to Green Island I took shrimping gear. I fished a 400' trough NE of Green Island and got less then 20 shrimp for 5 pots. I don't bother with shrimp pots anymore when we go to Green Island. We focus on halibut.

If you try dropping your pots out in front of Port Chalmers, keep on eye on them as the strongest currents I have seen in PWS were were in the passage between Montague and Green Islands. We tried fishing for halibut out in front of Port Chalmers and I was surprised at the difficulty in keeping our bait on the bottom due to the currents running.

Doug

When I was seining in the sound one of the boats in our group threw out a couple of pots in the Port Chalmers area. They usually got just enough for a meal for the 4 people on the boat once or twice a week.
    Also be careful of fishing the Port Chalmers area in June. That is the height of the Seine season over there for Chum salmon.
    They fish all over that area from just off Wilby island to inside the bays to all over the deeper areas at times depending on the fish.
    Would be a good time to catch some fresh Chums they averaged @ 8#'s back in the late nineties.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

When it comes to shrimp in PWS, it's my opinion to fish where the shrimp will not likely have predators like buts, lings and rock fish. Put your pots out of the way, go get your fish, then come back and get your shrimp. Seafood galore!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public