Thread: King Salmon rivers

Default King Salmon rivers

Has ADFG announced which rivers will be closed to King fishing next year? I enjoy fishing the Chuit and hope they re-open it in 2011.

Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Maybe. They enjoy letting the natives set nets at the mouth of the Chuit and wonder why many Kings don't return. Add on the commericial fisherman and a few "sport" fisherman that 'the rules don't apply to me..." and suddenly the King numbers are down.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Maybe. They enjoy letting the natives set nets at the mouth of the Chuit and wonder why many Kings don't return. Add on the commericial fisherman and a few "sport" fisherman that 'the rules don't apply to me..." and suddenly the King numbers are down.
    Natives are allowed to set nets across the mouth of a river, I've never heard of that, this isn't Washington. I've been known to be wrong tho

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Natives are allowed to set nets across the mouth of a river, I've never heard of that, this isn't Washington. I've been known to be wrong tho
    I've been told this by several people who live and work in Beluga. It's not a new thing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The natives are prohibitted from setting their nets at the mouth. They are allowed to set their nets down the beach a 1/2 - 1 mile or so. In June of 2009 the troopers did a fly over, landed and confiscated several nets that were too close to the mouth. The beach set nets have had the biggest negative effect on this fishery. It's the same problem we see from N. Cal up through OR & WA.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I've been told this by several people who live and work in Beluga. It's not a new thing.
    That makes sense w/ those activists. They need to be relocated if this continues (to the cook inlet pretrial facility)