Thread: Christmas Bullets for a 30-06 Hunter ??

Default Christmas Bullets for a 30-06 Hunter ??

I've picked up a Reloading Die Set for my Father in Law for a Christmas Gift,
    (I will be doing the reloading for him, just want to give him a "Free Ammo Future," as a gift)

He is a dedicated 30-06 Hunter, (a couple Blacktails a year and a Moose every other year or so,)

I'd like to have a couple boxes of bullets under the tree also, but am not a 30-06 guy so am wondering what you guys really like to use,
    If it was just your two favorite Hunting bullets,
    what would you appreciate the most under your tree for Christmas?

Mostly Deer, some Moose rounds, would it be 180 gr, (and 200 or 168 ?) and any brand names you would like best,

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you all
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My first choice for deer would be Horanday 165 grain BTSP, second would be Nosler 165 grain Accubond.
    My first choice for moose would be Nosler 220 grain partition, second would be Nosler 200 grain Accubond.
    If he likes old things, especially old things that work well he will be very pleased with both of my first choices, they have a lot of positive history going for them in the -06. If he likes the lastest, cutting edge, new technology, etc. then he probably would like the second choices better. The 30-06 was always good, and now it is so great with the new powder and new bonded bullets... Oh so flexible...
    By the way, that is a cool gift idea, and he will really appreciate your hand crafted ammo gift!
    Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I'd like to have a couple boxes of bullets under the tree also, but am not a 30-06 guy so am wondering what you guys really like to use,
    If it was just your two favorite Hunting bullets,
    what would you appreciate the most under your tree for Christmas?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you all
    That's a very thoughtful gift kodiakrain.

There are lots (and I mean lots) of great choices in the 30/06. In fact, if you choose a 180 grain bullet (or heavier) you'd be hard pressed to find a bad bullet for deer & moose in the '06. But to answer your question, I'd consider Lapua's Mega in 185 grains. I've found them extremely accurate in several .30 caliber rifles. I've only shot a fox with them so far (it delivered complete penetration and the fox was DRT), but I've complete confidence in their terminal performance on moose and such. I've used 190 grain Hornady BTSPs for years with consistently spectacular results in the 30/06 and 300 WM. If you wanted to load a "premium" bullet, I'd choose the 180 grain SP Nosler Partition, but it is not required at '06 velocities for excellent terminal performance. Just last year, a good friend killed a 58 inch bull (225 yards away) with an '06 firing 180 grain Speer Hot-Cor with a muzzle velocity around 2650 fps. A TSX or bonded bullet would not have been anymore effective.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

A good son-in-law for sure.

Like others have said, loading for the 30-06 is easy because it's so flexible and there are a bazillion .30 caliber options out there for you...probably too many options. If you went with just one bullet that he could use for both blacktail and moose, you should probably look at the 180's. I wouldn't get too exotic with choices given the velocities of the '06...you'll probably be somewhere in the 2550-2750 range. You couldn't go wrong with 180grn Nosler Partitions...they're a bit more expensive than a few other recommendations thus far, but it's a gift for your father-in-law.

Happy Holidays.

180gr Nosler Partition for moose, and 165 gr Accubond for deer.

I shot 180gr NP reloads that my Dad made in the beginning, and he actually shot his first elk (big 6x7) with my 06 and NPs. I then shot 165gr Fail Safe factory ammo by Winchester for many years while hunting deer in various states. I wasn't reloading then, and I haven't gotten to reloading for my 06 yet because it's my 2nd gun choice for most outings. I'll be working on it soon though.

For a little flatter trajectory, I suggested the 165 Accubond because of my good experiences with Accubonds in my 7mm-08. They were accurate and incredibly consistent in the POI while I changed powder charges. So much so that i could change COAL and charge while expecting no more than a 1 inch shift in POI. In the 165, I think the Barnes TTSX or TSX would be a great bullet that would could cover both moose and deer pursuits. You'll pay more for Barnes but could settle on loading one load for everything.

That's three bullets...sorry. You pick.

Mike

I would go with a normal cup and core bullet in 180gr. One of my favorites is the Speer 180 BTSP. The Rem 180 core lokt is another that is hard to beat up to max 30/06 velocities. You will probably get full penatration on a broad side shot with either and both expand well at lower velocities. There are many other bullets that will work as well but both of these are inexpensive and perform very well. Very thoughtful gift.

Nice gift Kodiak,
    Already plenty of good suggestions - if he's already stacking up critters perhaps you should sneak a peak into what loads he is currently using and try to match bullet weights or types accordingly?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Nice gift Kodiak,
    Already plenty of good suggestions - if he's already stacking up critters perhaps you should sneak a peak into what loads he is currently using and try to match bullet weights or types accordingly?
    Randy
    Yep, I'm sneakin' around a bit on this already and you guys are pretty spot on it appears,

I should say, He is the type to "stick with what works," he's shooting a Rem 700 now but it is only a few yrs old, and his first new rifle since his Father in law welcomed him back from Vietnam with a rifle he had built himself. (the Grandfather in Law (90 yrs old) is an old navy guy, gunsmith who just retired from the Deer fields not long ago).

I married good, eh? They are some good men to be sure. Good to take care of them well.

So my wifes Dad had used the same one rifle for near 40 yrs, til it was about worn out. Tho this yr he had some problems with his newer rifle scope, at the last minute, just pulled out the old faithful, and there he was dragging out two Deer in the same day.....
    So you get the picture. Not too fancy, gettin it done kind of guy.

After 40 yrs, Wood on Blue 30-06, think he'd buy something different? Nah, 30-06 seems to work good.
    He did go for Stainless/Synth tho,

Pretty sure he is using 180 grain bullets for both Deer and Moose tho not sure about the Moose.
    So I ran down to Macks today after posting this thread to see what they had, ended up grabbing a box of Hornady 180gr BTSP, as that seems a sure bet in 180 to start. and
    Wow, what a rack of bullets they have available to load for .30-06, unbelievable popularity of that round here, so Thanks for all this advice, REALLY

Then after I got home I called back to see what they had for Factory stuff, looking for clues as to what he's been using.
    He has almost surely bought from either Macks or Cy's in Kodiak for most of those 40 yrs.......

and they only had one 180 gr bullet available in Federal Factory,

yeah, you guys already knew, 180gr Nosler Partitions

I may try some 165 gr Hornady or Speer maybe to see how he likes the efficiency on Deer meat to the Freezer,
    Sounds like It'd be wise to follow you guys pretty closely.

Thanks Again
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have had great success with the 200 Accubond in my 30-06. Used on Kodiak for blacktail, and on moose. Good compromise gives me a little comfort in case I have the unexpected encounter with a brownie/grizz.

Al, You've discovered the other reason I put the 180 NP in there....availability. While Macks certainly carries other bullets, as you just noticed, they do a very good job of keeping their shelves stocked with NP bullets and Fed Premium NP ammo. They've done that for a long time.

That's why I reloaded 250 NPs for my 338 instead of going with my top choice, Barnes. While I can order in Barnes or pick them up while in Anchorage, there's a piece of mind knowing that most times I can find the stuff down town. Part of living on the rock and also keeping our local stores going. And under the absolute worst of circumstances, I could grab some factory ammo with the same bullet and it wouldn't take much adjusting to get it printing right.

Good luck and on a very thoughtful Christmas present.

Mike

Ive used the flat based Hornady Interlock in 165 and 180 grain offerings. The only one Ive recovered was on a Brown Bear, and it was on the far side hide. Excellent bullets that perform right on track with the 180 Noslers Ive used. Those would be my two choices.

BTW-Its an odd 30-06 that will not shoot Minute-of-game with a 180 grain bullet seated over 54.5 grains Of H4350. If you opt for a 165 grain bullet, I'd use 56 grains.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

rbuck351 be right:

Let me just say....

Yew dasn't want any weight less than 180 grains in a 30-06 load. (Specially in bar terratory.)

Yew dasn't need no steenkin spendsive premium bullet for 30-06 velocities, neither.

JMHO, Yeah Right.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A box of 180 gn Nosler Partition, a box of 180 gn Accubond, a pound of IMR4350 and 2 boxes(200) Federal 210 primers would make just about any 30.06 reloaded happy!

I would not get real carried away with the number you load to begin with. If possible do alittle trading with others for a few examples or buy the smallest count box of a certain brand / weight. Then load them one brand / weight at a time and have your Father-in-Law try them out to see which one he likes the best on paper.
    I have two 30-06s. My bolt action loves 150gr bullets (just about every brand), but has a real problem with 165gr & 180gr (sprays them all over the paper). My semiauto loves 165gr the best, is OK with 180s, but absolutely hates the 150s

KR, here are a few loads I worked up for mine.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/