Thread: spotting scope

Default spotting scope

any suggestions on the best value for a spotting scope. so what spotter would give you the best value for the amount of money you would spend purchasing it.
    use would be for sheep, goat and/or moose hunting.
    sheep - looking for determining legality by size - full curl
    moose - looking for that 50 inch size definition.
    Thanks

You need to provide your price range to get helpful suggestions.

Pentax can hang with the best at a price close to half of swarovski.

Leica Televid 62mm. You can pick up a used one or any other big brand optic for a reasonable price at http://www.samplelist.com/
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default spotting scope

I would like to get people's opinions on the spotting scope as they would value it. (ex. for $500 can you get a scope that is almost as good as some that are priced at 800. or is the 1600 scope so much better than any other that nothing else should be purchased.)
    I have seen several people put up replies about binoculars where they found a particular model and brand that for 200 that worked as well as any other they found up to a price range of 800.
    I am looking for opinions similar to what you might see if you read consumer reports - the best value for the money spent.
    Thanks

Arrow Outdoor Optics Forum

You might want to check out Outdoor Optics forum on this website below. I too am in the market for a spotting scope and there is a huge wealth of information there. From my reading, Cameraland: toll free 1-866-9optics, the owner's name is Doug offers great pre-purchasing advice, the best pricing, quick shipping and great service. Good luck!

Default spotting scope ideas

I just got this info from Camera land, and I think I'm going to go with the Pentax PF80ED. From my research, this is a smoking deal at $849. If it keeps me from having to climb one less mountain while sheep hunting, I'll be happy!
    I have to make sure it has the angled vision, as I have decided to go that way after much help from the folks in here.

email from cameraland below:

Perfect timing as we have some great deals on some samples from the Shot show.
    We have the Pentax PF80ED with a zoom ocular for only 849.99 or the 65 for 599.99
    We also have the Minox ranging from 549.99-729.99
    These come with lifetime warranties
    We also have the Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica scopes. They would be new.
    Depending on your budget would determine the best glass for you. Out of the ones listed above the Pentax is the best glass under 1000.00

Call me with any questions so we can better determine what you need.
    Doug is away and I am answering his e-mails

Thank you
    If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
    Joel
    212-753-5128

Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Default golden ring

I LOVE my Leopold gold ring.

The reason I asked you what your price range was is because thats a major factor in selecting good glass. You get what you pay for simply put. Heres a tip that I have found in my endless searches with optics. The glass is not everything, whatever optical component you are buying must fit you! Which means that the eye relief that is great for one guy might drive you crazy you really need to look through different ones before you decide. Thats another great thing about Doug , you can order 3 different spotters and then decide the one you want and send the other 2 back. A quality spotting scope is not a cheap purchase so it needs to be a good one. Another factor for you to think about is weight, some of the 65 and lower objective spotters range in weight from 56oz to 27 oz. And when you get over 65mm objectives like the Leica Televid 77, Diascope 85, PF80 and others they can get real heavy so you need to decide if you want to carry a 2 1/2 lb or less spotter or a 4-6lb spotter and then consider what kind of tripod will be required with each and the weight of the tripod. Just some food for thought. If you sheep hunt weight is critical and lugging around a 5 lb spotter and an appropriate tripod (the heavier the scope the sturdier the tripod must be) might require you to sacrifice on other things. Obviously if money is no object the big 3 are the best hands down, but from there down there are good bargains on Pentax, Minox, Nikon, Kowa and others.Hope this helps.

After trying out lots of them I decided on a straight Leica Televid 62 and it kicks butt, not too heavy and wonderful to look through, and I bought it from Doug.

I went from a Leupold 15-45x60...I think, the one that looks like no other scope, to the pentax pf80ed.....the leupold is way lighter and super compact. optically it is not even close...huge difference. I made a swinging buy on the pentax, and had enough left over for a carbon tripod so my net weight has not really changed.

I would hunt with a leupy again, I liked the size and optisc were deffinetly good enough, I like the ability to hook my camera up and take a pic through the scope, I could not pull that off with my leuy. I hear leuy has a new ed series of spotter, it might bring the optics where there is some compitition but I gave $550 for my scope w/eyepiece new so I had no choice but to buy it.

check out betterviewdesired.com a bunch of birdwatchers test more scopes then I knew existed....they call the pentax the reference standard in 80mm, Zeiss was the ref in 60-65 with the new scope.

I always suggest leica optics, very under rated imo but pentax has the spotter for the $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I just got this info from Camera land, and I think I'm going to go with the Pentax PF80ED. From my research, this is a smoking deal at $849. If it keeps me from having to climb one less mountain while sheep hunting, I'll be happy!
    I have to make sure it has the angled vision, as I have decided to go that way after much help from the folks in here.
    For what it is worth, www.samplelist.com has a used Leica Televid 62 (straight and angled) for $799.95. That price does not include the eye piece, which is about another $400. If you go with the Pentax, I'd make sure the eye piece is included in the $849 quote.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I spent three months last summer performing wildlife surverys on the lower Kuskokwim River here is southwestern Alaska. Every single day we were out. My responsibility was to observe any animals, whether avian or otherwise and identify it, and note what it was doing when I saw it. Obviously color trueness, clarity and resolution is necessary to correctly identify a bird over a mile away.

I used both the Leica Televid 77 APO and the Pentax PF 80 ED with straight eyepieces. I had also acquired a Pentax PF 100ED to compare.
    The Pentax scopes were slightly brighter, I believe this is due to the larger glass in the eyepiece. The Leica's resolution is razor sharp right out to the edges of the view when looking through it. You can change the magnification and the view does not move at all. With the PF 80, there is some loss of resolution at the edge, and when changing magnification, the view moves in a small way, slightly. The resolution is the same as the Leica except at the very edge like I said.
    The PF 100 is a monster as you can imagine with a 4" lens hung out in front. But the brightness cannot be overemphasized. The drawbacks to the 100 is the mass, and the tripod that will be necessary to stabilize it in even the slightest breeze. On the river, normal winds ranged from still air to 12-14 mph and using a Bogen 3001 tripod, the Leica and PF 80 were stable. Anything over a slight breeze rendered the 100 unusable.

I also liked the rubberized coating on the Pentax. It is a muted green color that keeps cold hands and fingers from getting colder. The Leica has the bare bead-blasted aluminum finish that gets annoying to touch when it is 40* and sprinkling. It also clinks when you hit it with your wedding ring or watch. The Pentax is silent.

If you have someone to tote your optics, I would recommend the Pentax PF 100ED overall for brightness and magnification. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with the Pentax PF 80 ED. If scopes were graded 0-100 with 100 being the Leica, the Pentax would be a 90.

I am satisfied with Doug's business. I also bought a pair of Leica 8x42 Trinovid binos with the Pentax PF80ED. The binos were supposed to have been "pre-owned", but I could see no evidence of such.