Thread: Brown/Grizzly Bear Hunting in Alaska - Looking for outfitters

Default Brown/Grizzly Bear Hunting in Alaska - Looking for outfitters

I have started to look into booking a brown/grizzly bear hunt with my father in Alaska for 2012. Along with my father, a couple of his and my close friends (2) will be going as well who want to hunt black bear. Dad and I are looking to hunt brown/grizzly and possibly a wolf if it works out.

I am a seasoned hunter, and in relatively good shape. Dad is in his in his mid 60's and a bit overweight. He dosent have health problems, but I cant see him doing endless spot and stalk hunts all day long. I know that he and I have seen some outfitters that spot by boat (kind of a base camp) and then go ashore for a stalk. This might be a better fit for my father.

I am looking for recommendations for outfitters by some of you that have first hand experience with Alaska bear hunting. I am not looking for a friend of a friend of a friend went up there..... you get the point. This trip will be the hunt of a lifetime for all of us. My dad calls this an item from his "bucket list".

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Paul

Southern Baranof and Western Kuiu for a Brownie and Black Bear combo would be great. Many of the Sitka based guides do it. I don't know any of them you would have to do that research yourself.

Muskeg Excursions guides out of Misty Fiords and they have that combo too. I'd love to spend a spring week in the Mistys.

Fun adventures await your family. Good luck.

Haines would also be a very good area for both as well as Wrangell area. Both have bear viewing parks and plenty of bear. I have a friend in Haines thats in a wheel chair and he was still able to get a close range bear.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum, I am also from Michigan. Check out Alpine Creek Lodge.

http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/id69.html

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming.

Any pros or cons for a spring vs fall hunt?

Look up Jake BRWNBR on this forum. He has area's with both Black and Brown. Top shelf guide.

Try contacting Tony Lee at www.westwindguideservice.com His hunters have taken 7 of the top 10 SCI grizzlies over the past 5 years. Most were Spring hunts but there have also been some decent 9'+ animals in the Fall.

I had an awesome hunt this past fall with Nushagak Guides (Dillingham AK)on a two person drop camp moose hunt. Outstanding service provided. Owner Brian Donovan spares no expense and goes above and beyond any expectations we
    had. When I was there all his bear hunters and bear/moose combo hunters were tagged out. Give him a call.
    Tony

brians a good guy...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Stay away from Donavans area in the spring, one word ZOO $16500 for a crowded hunt on State land is borderline criminal.

lol ZOO is and understatement...kill alot of bears out there though in the spring. but yes...its a zoo.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212