Thread: FOLBE rod-holders

Default FOLBE rod-holders

Anybody know any local tackle retailers that stock these things?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Nope, do you have a picture? Or a link to a company website? I know you love'em.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, let me know when you want to sell that motor, not that I am giving up on a 90 Yami but now thinking anything up to 150 or 175 with a jet and a tiller.

BTW, I know you love those but the base looks a little weak, I like the fish-on double base, meaning the vertical part from the base to the holder. And yes, I have flattened out a fish-on holder on a fish.

That's the only one on my WA boat mounted on that style base. I chose that pic because it showed a good close-up view of the rod-holder.

All the rest of the holders plug into side-mount bases (same footprint for the bolt pattern as the FishOn's) like you are accustomed to:

The KeenEye MD

how does that split on the top work?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    how does that split on the top work?
    The rod holder opens up kind of like a clamshell, allowing you to lift the rod out in one continuous motion without giving the fish any potential slack as the rod is removed from the holder.

The larger "half" of the clamshell is the mobile portion that releases the rod... see pic below. Notice this one is mounted with a very stout extension ( you mentioned the standard short post looked "weak")

The KeenEye MD

I'm pretty sure the rep or owner is one of the fellas I have in my boat at the end of March ... I just got a box of them in the mail from the fella that booked the trip. I rarely use them here, but will give them a try in the Barge up north this summer, they should work much better on the rods in the most outward position.

If you need some bases or something 'Doc ... let me know, they PM'd me off of our board to see if I needed any any mounts and I can probably get them to send you whatever you might need

Default in anchorage

Doc,

This past summer I found the Folbe rod holders at Marita Sea and Ski and B&J Outfitters both in Anchorage. I absolutely love them but found a couple of drawbacks and both are because of operator error. After a summer of pulling the rod in out of the holder (side mounts) I found more wear and tear on my cork handles then the Fish On holders. The other problem I had is that one of my buddies forgot to lock the holder in and in the excitement of setting a hook pulled the holder out and it fell to the bottom of the Kenai River (near Mud Island). Would've been a pretty good story but the fish turned out to be a jack! Anyway, I needed to replace one Folbe and that is how I found out about the holders at Marita/B&J.

There's no doubt that these holders significantly increased my hook up rate this summer. Thanks Doc for talking about this equipment last year and I'm glad I took your advice.

Default B&J

B&J has them. I got my first ones at the Sportsman's Show last year. Awesome mounts and holders! Bought more since then from B&J.

Mort

Will they fit into fish-on mounts?

No, but FishOn's will fit in the Folbe mounts.
    The KeenEye MD