Thread: Questions on Goose hunting

Default Questions on Goose hunting

I have some questions on goose hunting up here. I love goose hunting but i have never been up here in alaska. I have duck hunted a few up here and i love it but i am limited because i dont have a boat yet. But for goose hunting does anybody put out big spreads of decoys like you see in the midwest? I grew up in the midwest and have lived up here for many years and i have never seen anybody put out big spreads of decoys like they do in the midwest. In the midwest just driving down the roads in the winter time corn fields will be turned black with the thousands of decoys out there and i was wondering if people did that up here as well?

I grew up in MN and I have chased those giant Canadians in the corn fields. I have witnessed the big guides there set hundreds of decs in a morning. I do not know which part of AK you are asking about but near Los Anchorage or the valley I have not witnessed spreads like you speak of. In this area there are not enough geese passing through to justify the cost or effort of those spreads. The season is too short and not enough birds. Just think about how many Canadian geese you saw there compaired to here. Just my .02 pennies worth
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I think those giant spreads are really not common in places other than the midwest. Even in the west, very large spreads arent all that common. If you see a person putting out 6 + dozen decoys down in WA for example, thats a pretty large spread by most standards. I think large spreads are to compete with other large spreads in the midwest. Up in ND, we hunted over 18 old shells and just absolutely killed the birds. No competition, undeducated birds. Its just different. Up here, I have used some pretty big spreads out in places like Cold Bay, but I was doing that for two reasons. One was to create such a large blob that 5-6 hunters could just lay in the decoys and be hidden. The other reason was just the numbers of birds you see out there. They are in huge groups and creating a large blob on the ground with lots of visibility helped pull birds. Around Anchorage, I use 6 to 9 dozen but they are all silo's. We generally cant drive a truck and trailer right out to the spot your going to hunt, so logistically, you are limited to what you want to pack, haul in a boat....Our geese are generally still in small family groups when they come through, and havent really flocked up, so small spreads still work.

You find me a corn field up here and I am sure we can fill it up with decoys when we need to.

Thank you everyone for your replys. It was more curiosity than anything when i asked that i hadnt seen it done here in the Anchorage or Valley area but just because you havent seen someone do it doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. You are all right though the flocks that do come into this area are very small the only big group of geese that i have ever seen was in the hay flats in November one year and there was a flock of probably 300 snow geese.