Thread: Success with latest interior temps?

Default Success with latest interior temps?

Anybody getting out and having success with Ptarmigan/grouse in the Interior with the latest temperatures; -30 to -40 degrees?

It was -10 degrees at my trap line in SC this morn. Critters aren't moving too much where I'm at.
    We need a couple feet of fresh powder and some warmer temps and they will come back out!

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    It was -10 degrees at my trap line in SC this morn. Critters aren't moving too much where I'm at.
    We need a couple feet of fresh powder and some warmer temps and they will come back out!
    I know most people aren't out and about at -30 and most certainly not at -40 but you never know? Should be better temps the next few days.

I've been seeing some ptarmigan lately while out predator hunting, but they just look so cold that I don't have the heart to shoot them. They look like they're working too hard just trying to survive.

With the family being 4500 miles away, it was an easy call to go stomping around for birds when my thermometer read -2 on Christmas morning. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to the top of the hill, I could barely see because the wind was creating an honest to goodness whiteout. I stepped out of the truck long enough to realize that I wouldn't be able to stand upright out there, much less shoot a bird. Better luck next time, perhaps.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.