Thread: Looking for a used .17 Remington. Not looking for a debate.

Default Looking for a used .17 Remington. Not looking for a debate.

Im having a hard time finding a used rifle with a synthetic stock in .17 Remington. I am not interested in .17 HMR or a .17 Remington Fireball. I also do not wish to the debate the merits/downfalls of this caliber. I also do not care to discuss why it would be better for me to get a .223, 22-250, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .22mag/lr, .204 Ruger or any other caliber. I am just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a used rifle with synthetic stock in .17 Remington. I thank you in advance for your time, have nice day.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatskinny View Post
    Im having a hard time finding a used rifle with a synthetic stock in .17 Remington. I am not interested in .17 HMR or a .17 Remington Fireball. I also do not wish to the debate the merits/downfalls of this caliber. I also do not care to discuss why it would be better for me to get a .223, 22-250, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .22mag/lr, .204 Ruger or any other caliber. I am just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a used rifle with synthetic stock in .17 Remington. I thank you in advance for your time, have nice day.
    Dave
    If I were looking for said rifle, I'd buy a used 223 Remington in a synthetic stock (normally can be had on the cheap) and have it rebarreled to 17 Remington. It may or may not cost more to do it this way, but I doubt you'll quickly find a 17 Rem just floating around and the end product will probably be preferable. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Try posting over on the Alaska Marketplace forum on this site. Most likely you'll find a walnut stocked Remington BDL and have to restock in synthetic. Or, 1 COR's idea about rebarreling a 223 is a good idea too.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Just for my own curiosity what are you planing on using it for?
    Suggest that you consider ANY rifle in that caliber even if you have to replace the stock to get what you want.

Wow, I just looked at the numbers on that caliber. Woowee she's hot!
    Good choice not matter what the use. Could be a good predator gun for me, though.
    For now 40grs @4000fps will do just fine.

Here's a couple for cheaper than most of the used ones are going for! Also I have dealt with the folk at the first one I listed several times and they are good people to do business with. I had one of these rifles in 204 and they are a very well balanced nice shouldering rifle. I think I paid almost $800 for mine!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=206889882

Another one http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=207075520

I just looked at the second auction listed again and I can also personally recommend this seller as being top notch!

Great advice all-around!!!!! This is what these forums are for, helping others. I've always bought my guns whole and never even considered putting one together. This will change my view considerably, it probably sounded so simple to you guys, but I didn't even realize my other options! As far as use goes, I am a fledgling predator hunter and after MUCH research, this is the caliber that I have decided on. Once again, thank you for your time .
    Dave

There was one or two Remington 17 caliber centerfire rifles advertised for sale on 24 hour campfire classifieds earlier this year. You might go there and do a search. I believe they had wood stocks instead of synthetic. Like a barrel, a stock can be changed with aftermarket stuff and lots easier than a barrel. Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Yes, here is one for a buy it now of $670 in ss/syn. There is a guy on alaskaslist that will do the FFL transfer for $10 if you want to go that route. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=206889882
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page