Thread: marine fm/am radio and USB?

Default marine fm/am radio and USB?

hi guys!.....before i start a search on marine fm/am radios and waste alot of time---and i only have a couple of days,,,here is what i am looking for:

fm/am marine radio--- WITH a "USB" port so i can just stick in the memory stick and plug in our own tunes( i have lots)!...not interested if it comes with a cd player, but if it does that would be ok!....so, any suggestions?...as always , thanks for your help!! larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

The Sony cdx-m60ui is a good one. It a little pricey at 199.99 It has a 3 ft or so cord coming out the back of the reciever which I like and also a front input on the face of the reciever. It also is satalite ready the Ipod control is a bit tricky to learn. I've installed about 8 of these on boats and nobody has complained about them. Crutchfield is a good site to do research on. Fusion is also has some nice stuff

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158M60U...I.html?tp=1721

Walmart carries inexpensive stereos with these options. They work fine and will take the USB sticks or little "scandisk" memory cards also.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    The Sony cdx-m60ui is a good one. It a little pricey at 199.99 It has a 3 ft or so cord coming out the back of the reciever which I like and also a front input on the face of the reciever. It also is satalite ready the Ipod control is a bit tricky to learn. I've installed about 8 of these on boats and nobody has complained about them. Crutchfield is a good site to do research on. Fusion is also has some nice stuff

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158M60U...I.html?tp=1721

thanks guys!.....mwf, where does the usb cord go when it is dash mounted?...does it just dangle around?....looks like a nice unit! thanks larry

ALPINE...ALPINE...ALPINE...

Model IDA-X100M

Love mine!

I have to second Ellamar's recomendation for the ALPINE decks. They have a direct connection to your iPod and will charge it too. Three years and going strong!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

[QUOTE=spoiled one;854483]I have to second Ellamar's recomendation for the ALPINE decks. They have a direct connection to your iPod and will charge it too. Three years and going strong![/QUOTE

thanks guys...looks like a good machine!....is the USB port in the front?

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post

thanks guys...looks like a good machine!....is the USB port in the front?
    Mine is on the back. I don't like running my iPod from the head unit. It is a pain to navigate through several thousand songs. This is my only gripe with the Alpines. I just disconnect the iPod to do this or just hit random and take my chances.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Mine is on the back. I don't like running my iPod from the head unit. It is a pain to navigate through several thousand songs. This is my only gripe with the Alpines. I just disconnect the iPod to do this or just hit random and take my chances.
    thanks SO....is that a stand alone unit?...can i just hook it up to spearkers and let 'r rip?....larry

You could, but I didn't. It really depends how serious you are about your sound. Adding an amplifier down the line wouldn't be a huge deal if you weren't happy with the sound.

The headunit itself has a good punch of power, I went with 2 sets of the 7" ALPINE marine speakers and am very pleased. Like spoiled one said, adding an amplifier down the line would be simple.

On our hunting trip down the Yukon with my brother we had my ipod hooked up to the direct ipod cord and his ipod plugged into the USB. We were able to use both ipods by toggling between "iPod" and "USB." The USB iPod had to be controlled at the iPod however...no biggy.

USB extension cords are readily available to bring the USB from the rear to a more convenient location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    USB extension cords are readily available to bring the USB from the rear to a more convenient location.

thanks again guys!!..so, if the deck was dash mounted, so no access at the back, i would run a cord out from the back and have the usb input dash mounted, anywhere i want on the boat|?....sounds good!!....larry