Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: another moose

  1. #1
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default another moose

    I get the idea that people's responses to the shoot/don't shoot threads have more to do with their personal preference than real legality. It seems like fifty inches is fifty inches... so I have a picture of a bull that is clearly legal. What measuring stick are you using to determine whether a bull measures 50 inches? Are you really trying to determine the difference between 49" and 50" or is it more like the difference between hardcore and softcore where you just know it when you see it?
    BTW it's the same bull, if that saves you the trouble of distinguishing between Bull 1 and Bull 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Comparing his antler spread to the width of the ribcage, I'd venture he is over 50". Making a judgement from the rear is not something I am practiced at but I will guess him around 60".

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Me, I'm not comfortable trying to differentiate between 49 and 50, or between 50 and 55 for that matter. My 'preference' is to be legal, and I'm more comfortable having an alternate means of determining that. I'll leave the hair splitting to y'all.

  4. #4

    Default

    When you catch one out on the open road like that, you need to do like when you are hunting cats. Focus on their feet. Don't even look their heads. Measure their gait. A good mature bull moose will have a stride comparable to half the width of their antlers. This one's stride measures exactly 28 1/2". Another good indicator is the number of points on the Palm. I have yet to see a moose under 50", that has 8 or more points on either palm.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5

    Default

    He appears to be a respectable bull from behind. Too hard to tell for sure from this angle, but my gut tells me SHOOT!

  6. #6
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Speaking of remaining legal... I notice he's walking down the double yellow; mu guts would tell me DON'T SHOOT!

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Speaking of remaining legal... I notice he's walking down the double yellow; mu guts would tell me DON'T SHOOT!
    errrr ummm....Double Yellow Line Means you can't legally drive across them. Therefore, he is not on a Driveable Surface of the Road, as the law states clearly. Perfectly legal by strict interpretation of the law, as long as the shooter is also standing on the Double Yellow Lines.
    I would take that Texas Heartshot in a New York Second.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    errrr ummm....Double Yellow Line Means you can't legally drive across them. Therefore, he is not on a Driveable Surface of the Road, as the law states clearly. Perfectly legal by strict interpretation of the law, as long as the shooter is also standing on the Double Yellow Lines.
    I would take that Texas Heartshot in a New York Second.
    Uh-huh, good luck with that.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    I agree with ya AKres on the 8 points on the palm. I heard someone say that a couple years ago and I started looking at 50 plus inch racks people in my family have got and almost all the ones with 8 or more points on one side will be over 50 and most will be mid 50s or better. I will say it is not a foolproof method as I'm sure there are some exceptions but for the majority of moose it seems to be a good factor. There are also moose that have less than 8 points on a side that can be over 50, but the majority of these moose will usually be very close to the 50 mark. The main things I look for are bases that extend out a good distance from the head, I like to see at least 8 inch bases don't really use anything on the moose to reference this just have looked at enough 50 plus racks that I can tell what 8 inch plus bases look like. Then I look to see if the points and the palm lay out as that can make a huge difference in width and the number of points as already mentioned plays a part in my decision.
    My steps for looking at big bulls would be take a quick glance at the rack if obvious 60 or better the decision is easy as usually when a moose is 60 plus you know it when you see it. Then look at the tine, depending on the area look for 3 or 4 depending on the requirements for that gmu. Then I start studying the rack looking for things that I mentioned previously.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •