Thread: Lighted/Illuminated Reticle........?

Default Lighted/Illuminated Reticle........?

What is the application of a lighted/illuminated reticle. This not a baited question, I really don't know it's application.

When its very dark outside....

ETA: I was gonna leave it at that, but didn't wanna be 'that guy'.

Sometimes when its dark or near dark, or moonlit, its fairly easy to see through a scope, but the cross-hairs can be difficult to see. An illuminated reticle would aid in aiming while still seeing your target.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    When its very dark outside....

ETA: I was gonna leave it at that, but didn't wanna be 'that guy'.

Sometimes when its dark or near dark, or moonlit, its fairly easy to see through a scope, but the cross-hairs can be difficult to see. An illuminated reticle would aid in aiming while still seeing your target.

Would a German #1 or German #4 not do the samething.......? The illuminated reticle is very expensive for such a narrow (Minutes) window of need......?

So do those of you who own them feel they are worth the added bulk & Cost......?

The halo sites also fit the description and they will allow both eye open shooting with rapid target acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Would a German #1 or German #4 not do the samething.......? The illuminated reticle is very expensive for such a narrow (Minutes) window of need......?

So do those of you who own them feel they are worth the added bulk & Cost......?
    I am of the same opinion and therefor could never convince myself the illuminated reticle was worth the extra cost. I have used ACOGs with the fiber optic illuminated resticle at work and it is a neat thing but not one I would spend money on. I have done a little hunting in poor light conditions and have always been able to see my reticles. Maybe if I hunted predators at night?

My Zeis keeps me shooting plenty late so I don't have a need for an illuminated ret during the regular hunting season. For predators in the winter though it would be plenty handy. The holo type sites are also pretty slick though I don't use one on a regular basis.