Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: moose judging

  1. #1

    Default moose judging

    How about this moose? How wide? moose.jpg

  2. #2

    Default rack

    50 inches.

  3. #3
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    I'd say over 50, but couldn't get more specific than that till he's on the ground. Very narrow between the burrs.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    58"........

  5. #5
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    +1 58" nice rack

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I would feel confident enough to take the shot and measure him on the ground.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Probably 52 to 54 would be my guess. Looks like a young moose based on the fact his skull plate is very narrow between the burrs of his two horns. It would probably be best to let this moose walk, could be a real big one in another year or two.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    59-60" , whatever the case, I am pulling the trigger, he is well over 50".

  9. #9
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I say just over 50, young bull.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  10. #10
    Member AKFishOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eagle River (Home!)
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Powerline Pass Moose ???

    I would like to say 58" also however the distance between the eyes is different than many posted before. I think I have seen this Powerline Pass bull before? Here is a pic from 2009...he was big in person, sorry for the snow in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default

    I'd say 47" if the rack was laid down flatter it could be 57' easy.

  12. #12

    Default

    I believe he is close to 60". It is a hard one to judge. The 1 and 2 brow tines really makes it hard to judge. If you go with 9" between the bases, he would actually measure at roughly 63". 9 times 7 equals 63. But, he doesn't look that big. Good picture. Can anyone get those bars up there to get a better estimate?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I would like to say 58" also however the distance between the eyes is different than many posted before. I think I have seen this Powerline Pass bull before? Here is a pic from 2009...he was big in person, sorry for the snow in the pic.
    That helps. Thanks AKFishOn. I would say he is at least 60". It is a hard bull to judge.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I believe he is close to 60". It is a hard one to judge. The 1 and 2 brow tines really makes it hard to judge. If you go with 9" between the bases, he would actually measure at roughly 63". 9 times 7 equals 63. But, he doesn't look that big. Good picture. Can anyone get those bars up there to get a better estimate?
    Everything I tried - 7 between the burrs and 12 for the ears; 10 between the eyes, comes out closer to 65 than 60 - roughly 63 the same as your posting. (Can probably go to the "bank" with that one!)
    Will try to post annotated picture.
    Joe

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Everything I tried - 7 between the burrs and 12 for the ears; 10 between the eyes, comes out closer to 65 than 60 - roughly 63 the same as your posting. (Can probably go to the "bank" with that one!)
    Will try to post annotated picture.
    Joe
    I knew you'd chime in sooner or later Joe. Are you a guide or something? Joe Want. That name sounds awful familiar.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I say just over 50, young bull.

    Steve
    Going to disagree. I think he is on the downward side. After seeing him and watching him for an hour. His body is much larger than any other bull I saw up on powerline this year, his body is huge real old bull. I think he's about 60.

  17. #17
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Going to disagree. I think he is on the downward side. After seeing him and watching him for an hour. His body is much larger than any other bull I saw up on powerline this year, his body is huge real old bull. I think he's about 60.
    You would know better than I, I only looked at the photo.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You would know better than I, I only looked at the photo.

    Steve
    Steve. You're just so used to looking at that big one you shot last fall up in Kotz, that everything looks small to you now. You're spoiled. That's all. Don't take it personally man.

  19. #19

    Default

    I thought he would be a cool one to post! very neat looking moose

  20. #20
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    No drama here. I just have 2 downstairs and both are 7 inches between the burls and 8.5 on the eye sockets. I also tend to be conservative on my estimates, keeps me out of trouble!!!

    I would much rather have them be bigger than an inch too short....

    That was a big SOB I got in Kotz, I can't even watch my TV down there anymore cause I keep staring at that rack.

    I think men are genetically designed to stare at antlers, horns, or BREAST.





    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •