Thread: Fairbanks gunsmiths

Default Fairbanks gunsmiths

I'm looking for recommendations (or warnings) about Fairbanks gunsmiths. I have 1 rifle I'm thinking about getting re-blued (rust blue) and another 1 I'm thinking about having restored (100+ years old). I may end up sending the older one out to one of the well known restoration guys in the Lesser 48, but I'd like to keep it local if I can.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

The two most popular are Gary at Arctic Gunworks and Doug at Doug's Repairs (formerly of Down Under Guns). I flat out refuse to use Arctic Gunworks after my one and only experience with them. Long story short, Gary is one of the rudest people I've ever meet. I had him work on a pistol of mine, and he acted like I was bothering him for even asking. Then when he finished it, he left a message on my voicemail saying, and I quote: "You need to hurry up and call me back because this thing is taking up space on my work bench." I swore then and there that I was done with him.

I've never used Doug, but I actually need some work done on another pistol right now, and I just called him a few hours ago and left a message. I haven't heard back from him yet. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow, I'm probably going to drive down to Anchorage and use WWG (that's how adamant I am about refusing to use Arctic Gunworks).

Doug's number is 907-687-8500.

UPDATE: Doug just called me back the second after I finished typing this. I'll let you know how it went when I get my gun back.

Dont drive use UPS

Cheaper than gas

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations (or warnings) about Fairbanks gunsmiths. I have 1 rifle I'm thinking about getting re-blued (rust blue) and another 1 I'm thinking about having restored (100+ years old). I may end up sending the older one out to one of the well known restoration guys in the Lesser 48, but I'd like to keep it local if I can.
    I would call Doug and ask him. He's a straight shooter, and if the particular job at hand is beyond the scope of his expertise I know he would not hesitate to say so. He likely could give you a recommendation for another smith too.

I'll give Doug a call. Anyone know anything about D'Artois Gunwerke?
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Just got my gun back from Doug. He was super nice, super cheap, and his work was super good. He'll be getting all of my business from here on out.

[QUOTE=walk-in;854115]I'll give Doug a call. Anyone know anything about D'Artois Gunwerke?[/QUOTE

If its the place over by the Westmark? I have done some business there......
    I believe the guys name is Steve and he does very minimal smithing, to my recollection....
    I have had him order some ammunition for me, it came in when expected, his prices were very good and he called when it came in.....what a concept? I had some ammo on order with Frontier for months..........same stuff, could never tell me when It might arrive........nice folks, but it was awfull..................Steve got the job done quickly......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I've not used anyone in state for rust bluing, sent my one true/custom rifle project over to Turnbull in NY...turn around was 2 wks at that time and price was good. As for restoration, most knowledgable smiths worth there salt can restore a weapon...they have been doing Mauser's now for over 100yrs., Chic Worthing, Jim Dubell, Jim Kobe, Jim Anderson etc. All these I have mentioned are out of state and all are excellent smiths, I've used these and some others for one task or another.

If you are considering using Arctic Gunworks, PM me first.

I know you mentioned bluing, but if you're interested in a fabulous coating for a great price contact Lee at http://www.blackicecoatings.com

He does fantastic work and the Teflon coating works great for harsh Alaska weather.

Has anybody here worked with Jay Frazier from Delta Junction. I think that he is a guide too. They have a custom of his on Champlin arms and it doesn't suck. English Style stalking rifle with NZ English Marble Cake. I am just curious if the old coot is still kickin. It is a top shelf job with a price tag north of 6K.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Many years ago I had Jay do a build-up and checkering job on a pre-64 Winchester. Last time I heard he was still in Delta. The guy is good, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    If you're just having rust blueing done I would recommend Glenrock Blueing in Wyoming. They do very nice work and have a quick turnaround. For restoration work you need to go with someone who specializes in the type of firearm you have. There are Colt experts, Winchester experts, etc.

We do DuraCoat and are located in North Pole. We have a sample now of something with a simulated bluing color. Not exactly re-bluing, but an option. PM me if you want more information, I can't PM out yet or I would have sent it that way (too new to the forum).