Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 caribou

Default Tier 1 caribou

Just a freindly reminder don't forget to put in for the guranteed tier 1 nelchina caribou tag... Have a great day

Done Deal for me. I can't think of a better hunt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

It sure will be interesting to see how many people put in for this. My wife and I thought long and hard about this one before deciding to do it. I don't think we'll apply next year (though I also don't think this structure will be in place more than a year due to lawsuits, etc.), but for the coming year it made sense for us. We're planning on going deer hunting in early August, so we should have some meat in the freezer, so add to that a caribou and we should be doing OK. Additionally, there are two places in 13 that I really want to check closer for moose, so being committed to 13 will give me that much more motivation to get out there. An added benefit is that it'll give me more reason to chase other species closer to home when I only have a day to get out. Instead of chasing early season moose in 14A, I'll have to get out and explore for goats and black bear. Not a bad deal at all.

I'd bet there will be a lot of new or infrequent hunters that will put in for these tags. I know I have at least two friends who are new to hunting that are applying, as one caribou will be plenty for them and it is a great way to get introduced to hunting. High odds for success, easy access...what's not to like? It's certainly not for everyone, though. Giving up hunting moose in 14, 20, etc. is just too high a price for those who hunt those areas annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Done Deal for me. I can't think of a better hunt.
    Depends on your definition of the "best" hunt. Tier I caribou is a good meat hunt but I can certainly think of better hunts for trophy or for meat. It is a great option even if it is one I will not be partaking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It sure will be interesting to see how many people put in for this. My wife and I thought long and hard about this one before deciding to do it. I don't think we'll apply next year (though I also don't think this structure will be in place more than a year due to lawsuits, etc.), but for the coming year it made sense for us. We're planning on going deer hunting in early August, so we should have some meat in the freezer, so add to that a caribou and we should be doing OK. Additionally, there are two places in 13 that I really want to check closer for moose, so being committed to 13 will give me that much more motivation to get out there. An added benefit is that it'll give me more reason to chase other species closer to home when I only have a day to get out. Instead of chasing early season moose in 14A, I'll have to get out and explore for goats and black bear. Not a bad deal at all.

I'd bet there will be a lot of new or infrequent hunters that will put in for these tags. I know I have at least two friends who are new to hunting that are applying, as one caribou will be plenty for them and it is a great way to get introduced to hunting. High odds for success, easy access...what's not to like? It's certainly not for everyone, though. Giving up hunting moose in 14, 20, etc. is just too high a price for those who hunt those areas annually.
    Brian,

Stay away from the honey hole I told you about LOL

John, you already had my word, you won't catch me there...durring moose season!

Me either!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

if you do Ranger Rob ie bronco will come looking for you LOL... He is a ranger and can do things that would make Stalin cringe.

Mine's in. It will definitely be interesting to see actually how many people put in for this hunt. Aug 10 is a Wednesday and I plan on being in country on the 9th, hopefully dead bou on the 10th and camping/fishing through the weekend wearing bright orange.

Like BrianM, putting in for this is forcing me out of my usual "spot" or I should say GMU since I don't have a "spot" that I can call mine, its public property, etc. Anyway, I'm looking forward to exploring GMU 13 out past where I am currently familair with since I put in for DM333, 330, and 331 all of which are miles into the sticks and if drawn then that's just more reason to go explore this summer. And if not drawn then I have a back-up plan.

Irony of this "subsistence" hunt being too restrictive to all my family to get enough meat. With 5 in the house we need at least a moose or several bou in the freezer. Being limited to hunting unit 13 would be a PITA but if it came w/ 2 bou I would probably go for it. As it stands I would rather have the option to make a haul road run later in the year if we came up short on moose. I am one of the ones still mulling over the draw tags... I will have em done this weekend but still not sure how I will go. I definitely know that Tier 1 Nelchina herd is out.

Funny thing there are a few general harvest areas that I want to check out and to some extent winning a tag is going to push that all back another season... (I know...booo hooo <grin>)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would like to see enough come in to force out the Draw tags.. doing so would force the BOG at the march meeting to set an allocation to the tags and be one step closer to a little friendlier hunt area..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Irony of this "subsistence" hunt being too restrictive to all my family to get enough meat. With 5 in the house we need at least a moose or several bou in the freezer. Being limited to hunting unit 13 would be a PITA but if it came w/ 2 bou I would probably go for it. As it stands I would rather have the option to make a haul road run later in the year if we came up short on moose. I am one of the ones still mulling over the draw tags... I will have em done this weekend but still not sure how I will go. I definitely know that Tier 1 Nelchina herd is out.

Funny thing there are a few general harvest areas that I want to check out and to some extent winning a tag is going to push that all back another season... (I know...booo hooo <grin>)
    I agree with 3 in the family we are not that dependent on a full Moose, so whoever I hunt with will get most of it all we need is qtr of a moose, but some friends have a Caribou hunt scheduled in August on the Haul road so it is making it very hard to pull the trigger on the Tier 1 hunt. I want to do it but I did enjoy the hunt on the Haul road as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Me either!

Me either

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    John, you already had my word, you won't catch me there...durring moose season!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Me either!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Me either

Wow 323 just how many people did you let in on the secret honey hole? This is kinda going like the draw tags last year when you left your draw supplement laying out with the good draws highlighted and every tom dick and harry put in for the same tags.

That's why he is in the army and not the navy.... loose lips and all

Just to confirm, I already was told about the "honey hole" by a good friend that was up there a few days earlier. Another friend called me and told me to get a hold 323 to confirm about the area so I did via pm and I promised him I would keep quiet about said area...so... i'm trying,lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I agree with 3 in the family we are not that dependent on a full Moose, so whoever I hunt with will get most of it all we need is qtr of a moose, but some friends have a Caribou hunt scheduled in August on the Haul road so it is making it very hard to pull the trigger on the Tier 1 hunt. I want to do it but I did enjoy the hunt on the Haul road as well.
    Unless you want to be the one to pull the trigger on a hunt off the Haul Road, or anywhere else out side of Unit 13 I don't see how putting in for the Tier I keeps any hunter from going along with friends on their hunt(s) outside of Unit 13. I put in for Tier I and if I want, I will take my A double dollar signs into 20C with a rifle and sit on the knoll with my buddy while he moose hunts. The regs say that if you put in for the Tier I hunt you nor anyone else in your household cannot "hunt" for moose or caribou outside of Unit 13. "Officer, I'm not hunting moose, or caribou, I'm camping with my friend and hunting everything else but moose and caribou, and dang if I ain't seen a thing but moose." What it boils down to is that you cannot personally harvest a moose or caribou outside of Unit 13 if you are awarded a Tier I caribou permit. But, I can help my buddy "hunt" for moose or caribou wherever I want, as long as he pulls the trigger and tags/harvests the animal.

So, unless you have to be the one to pull the trigger or you only have so many days to hunt, or the only red meat you eat is from wild game, then I don't see the Tier I being limiting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Wow 323 just how many people did you let in on the secret honey hole? This is kinda going like the draw tags last year when you left your draw supplement laying out with the good draws highlighted and every tom dick and harry put in for the same tags.
    And then he tries to protect it by using you as the Sheriff of Nottingham. What up with that?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Hahahahahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Yeah yeah go eat a burrito... That still irks me those guys ganked my stuff oh well. Won't happen this year... Bronco if you were here to hear all the sad tales during that hunt you would felt bad for them as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast