Thread: Brooks range sand snakes part #2

Talking Brooks range sand snakes part #2

Well I thought I would share my story of the dreaded Snakes of the North Brooks Range A.K.A. Snow snakes, Arctic pit Vipers ETC.
    As you know on my wife's and I 2009 South Brooks Range hunt we ran into the dreaded pit vipers which they Travel in pairs and gave us quite a scare as we were told there is no snakes in Alaska !!!! Well this is just not true , see for your self !!!
    This was the past story http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-Sand-Snakes-!!!!!
    Now onto this years Fly in Float Hunt into the North Brooks range not to far from the Beaufort Sea is where this story unfolds into quite an ordeal .
    Upon our departure from Wright Air field we were full of anticipation of the upcoming flight over the Brooks range

We were into our fourth day of great sunshine , clear water , a water fall of sorts and great scenery as seen here

Will continue shortly

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Here is the picture of the water fall or close to one

We decide to stop for awhile to rest a bit and to maybe catch some dinner which we did

That afternoon we found our patch of land for the night . Camp is being set up

Will post more on the camp set up and the rest of the story later .
    Enjoy

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Looks like another good thread comming,great pics.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Red face

Ok camp is coming along quite well and what is better than a hot fire and a cup of hot coffee at the end of the day .
    Love that Fog Lifter kind of clears the head a bit .

So my wife and I are walking around camp exploring a bit and looking for game to possibly shoot and we ran into this jaw bone .
    We both knew at this time we were to be on guard at all times for rest of the trip because we just entered into the area where the Arctic pit Vipers roam !!!!!

Now do not be fooled by the berry's in the picture and think hey this kill site was not from an APV ( Arctic Pit Viper ) it was from poisonous berry's he ate ,his bad luck !!!!
    Please do not be fooled the berries are not the demise of this beast , it was a APV attack .

We were in luck I was told to bring some anti snake powder to spread around camp and this was to keep them out of our tent as we slept .
    The powder worked quite well not one APV ever came into camp and as a plus nothing was chapped !!!!!

More to come later

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Cool

Camp has been put up and now we are back on the river looking for the elusive Caribou .
    As we float slowly we hear a large amount of splashing and as we rounded a corner we see these Caribou running for their lives .

We came to a stop to see what was spooking the Bou and as we sat there I looked down at the right moment and seen these two APV (Arctic Pit Viper) trying to slither into the raft unnoticed .
    Now one might say HEY those are not APV (Arctic Pit Viper) those are Tape worms !!!
    Well you would be mistaken and if you reached for one you would notice real quick that they are Lightning fast and you would be nursing two puncture marks and wondering how long you have to live !!!!!

See the APV (Arctic Pit Viper) are like Chameleons and can change shape ,form and colors ,I will show you this transformation later in the story. I have pictures to prove this story .

As for the two APV (Arctic Pit Viper) that are on our raft , I was able to subdue them both with my stealth like moves and I killed them both .
    As a side note when you have no bait you can chop these up ( While they are in this form ) and use them for bait to catch Grayling , we did .

More later guys

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Thanks again. Of course I must ask did you have the proper permit for the snakes,the one looks a bit short
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Seriously, all kidding aside, what are those things.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Seriously, all kidding aside, what are those things.
    I am pretty sure they are Tape worms ????
    Must of fell out of a or crawled out of a moose, caribou, bear or beaver not sure ???

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

So that night as we were in our tent we started to check out some body damage .
    APV (Arctic Pit Vipers ) are known to launch themselfs and tangle your feet up so one will take a nasty fall in the hopes you can not get up .

Another trick we were told to help keep APV ( Arctic Pit Viper ) out of your camp is to hang white bags in bushes .
    It does work.

Another tick is set up this early warning system , seems they can only get within 50 feet before the alarm goes off.

Here is the first glimpse of the APV ( Arctic Pit Viper ) in their natural form !!
    They usually run in pairs .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60