Thread: Salcha River

Default Salcha River

We have decided on this float in Sept. Has anyone done it or have any other info.

I saw in the old forums that on the lower boat access it is crowded. We are flying in. The transporter said it should be pretty lonely up there. Any comments?

who you flying with, i know golden eagle drops guys off and some airboats get up that way i think as well. but from talking with jim at GEO it didnt' sound to bad..just get up off the river to hunt and you should be fine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default salcha

I think you are going to see more people than you think. Lots of airboats are making it up there, so be prepared to see them.

Default salcha

I floated the Salcha last season after being flown in to Paldo Creek. The airboats can get all the way to the mouth of Paldo, so its a bit crowded. Once we hit the North fork the jet boats started showing up. It was really difficult to compete with all the power boats buzzing past. My advice would be to spend more time hunting the upper sections of the river and get off the river and glass.
    You can check out some pictures from our hunt here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dacks46e...eFloatHunt2006

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I think you are going to see more people than you think. Lots of airboats are making it up there, so be prepared to see them.
    Ditto this! I have a friend with a cabin about 50 river miles up and it gets real busy during moose season. Sounds like an airfield sometimes with all the airboats around. Things get better the farther off the river you get.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default ditto

I did the same hunt "solo hunter" did in 2003. Airboats were all the way to Paldo Cr. The airboats are seriosly annoying, seriously LOUD, and there's enough of them to be a real bummer. We hunted hard and long for 10 days, took 1 bull, passed up a small bull, and saw about 6 cows/calfs. I didn't think that was many moose for 10 days and 100 miles of floating. It's a beautiful river but I wouldn't recommend it for float hunting just because of all the annoying boat traffic. Good luck if you go.

Oh, You probably know this, but Paldo Cr is really small, shallow, and there are alot of log jams on the lower end. It requires about a 1 mile portage to get over to the Salcha.

Go the last ten days of the season, and you will do fine. Way more animal activity then and less people activity.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Go the last ten days of the season, and you will do fine. Way more animal activity then and less people activity.
    Excellent advice, Akres!

Default dates and crowds

we went the 5-15th and saw LOTS of airboats and general traffic. Something I noticed while floating through the section with all the cabins was nearly all the moose racks hanging from the cabins were little paddle bulls. Maybe folks who are interested in trophy racks don't leave them hanging outside on there cabin or maybe there's enough hunting pressure that bulls don't often reach maturity (say 60") up there?? From what I saw, I believe the latter.... My 2 cents.

Default Salcha River

Thanks for the advice. We are going to hunt the last 10 days and mostly hunt the upper river then float out.

aren't the last ten days a bow season?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    aren't the last ten days a bow season?
    I don't understand the regs. very well. In 20B it looks like nonresidents can only hunt 9/5-9/15. Maybe you can clarify it for me. We prefer to bow hunt but don't have a bowhunters ed certificate.