Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Moose

Default Now Moose

Bull #1

Bull#2

Bull #3

I have better pictures of #1 and #2 after a few guesses. I believe, all are shooters under 50" rule regardless of brow tine requirements. #3 is very old and was being trashed regularly by a younger 60" moose, this is the only picture of him.

Well #1 I would need a better look at. He looks big, but I would need more.
    #2 definatly a shooter
    #3 I would pass on. Though he does look like he is around 50". What I see there is not enough to pull the trigger.

Actually all of them show signs of being above the 50" mark. Again, I wouldn't shoot with those views if I was in a 50" area, but I think they all have the potential to be shooters. Even the old ugly one. I shot one like that one fall. Didn't have a brow tine on it. Palm on one side and club on the other. Neat moose.

Looks to me like the first one has the BT for a 3 brow area. As far as 50" goes, I wouldnt be pulling the trigger quite yet on any of them without getting better angle view...

Man that old guy looks like he's seen better days for sure, wonder how tough them roasts would be...

Does the second bull have 4 brow tines on the right side?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Does the second bull have 4 brow tines on the right side?
    It looks that way to me, but I would need a better angle to confirm. This would be another that people would argue over the definition of a brow tine and it's position with regard to the first large bay.

Bull #2-- Bang no question about it 4 tine and from this angle he has all those nice long points and they lay out he'll go over 50 prolly end up in the upper 50s.
    Bull #1-- Has serious potential but would like to see a better angle than sideways just in case his bases don't go very far out from his head or his horn curls in or something.
    Bull #3-- Old, Old bull look at all those scars on his forehead and those spindly deformed horns. His bases extend out pretty far and his right side he has a couple points that lay out, would like to get a nice view of his left side to make sure the points laid out there too and if they did I would say shoot. Not gonna be a very good steak or roast moose though, he would definitely be a hamburger moose.

Bull #1 looks to be a shooter. Bulls 2 and 3 look to be a little shy. I wouldn't consider bull #2 a 4 browtine bull. His palms are pretty narrow but his points might reach out to 4'+2". Bull #3 looks shy all the way around to me.

#2 has 4 brow tines the rule is at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide. IMHO there is no doubt on that one he would be down. the other two I would have to see more to be comfortable in a 4 brow 50 rule area.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Number 2: You will have plenty of time to check it out while I butcher it...
    Number 1: Probably legal. A frontal view to see if those antlers curve up or lay out would be needed. He has wider palms than #2

Number 3: That old warhorse may be too small but IMHO there should be a QDM equivalent tag for AK moose hunters. Essentially there should be a multiple step certification course where one can get certified to judge moose and be able to harvest a "cull" bull. Bull number 3 is exactly the type of moose that should be harvested at every opportunity but may get you a ticket under current rules. He may go 50" but I would be nervous fumbling in the pack for the tape...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Number 2: You will have plenty of time to check it out while I butcher it...
    Number 1: Probably legal. A frontal view to see if those antlers curve up or lay out would be needed. He has wider palms than #2

Number 3: That old warhorse may be too small but IMHO there should be a QDM equivalent tag for AK moose hunters. Essentially there should be a multiple step certification course where one can get certified to judge moose and be able to harvest a "cull" bull. Bull number 3 is exactly the type of moose that should be harvested at every opportunity but may get you a ticket under current rules. He may go 50" but I would be nervous fumbling in the pack for the tape...
    My guess is that a couple years prior, Moose #3 would have been substantially more impressive. Of course there's no way of telling for sure, but I get the impression he is getting very old and due to atrophy, his antlers are probably getting smaller each year. The width of his main palms and his overall appearance (he just looks old) indicate to me that he's well past his prime.

Here are a cuple more shots of #1 and #2

I still have a head on shot of both bulls

Still say all of them are over 50". #1 and #2 are for sure.

I would definitely pull the trigger on the first two. The top one is a really pretty rack.

Default A couple more looks

A couple more pics
    #1 I like his long bell. He has a pretty rack and still a fairly young moose.

#2 this picture really shows maturity differences in the bodies of two bulls probably a year or two different in age. #2 is the front bull.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    A couple more pics
    #1 I like his long bell. He has a pretty rack and still a fairly young moose.

#2 this picture really shows maturity differences in the bodies of two bulls probably a year or two different in age. #2 is the front bull.
    Are you sure the front bull is #2? When comparing the pics in this post to the pics in post #1, the brow tines on the right side look very different

Same bull for sure, look at top of left palm.

These are a few of the guys hanging around Powerline Pass, right? I saw about 5 together one day up there knocking heads a bit late this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    Same bull for sure, look at top of left palm.
    I suppose so. I was primarily focused on his brow tines. This pic in post #1 shows a crabclaw on his first brow tine on the right. The more I look at the pic in post #15, although it appears to show 3 long brow tines on the right side, it could be the angle is obscuring the crab claw.

In any case, it's a heckova moose.

All these bulls are long dead and gone, pictures are several years old.
    Best looks at them, and a few for fun.

#1 being punked by a beast

The beast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast