10 4.27%
  • Griz

47 20.09%
  • Black Bear

6 2.56%
  • Deer

9 3.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What animal would you choose????

Default What animal would you choose????

If you were to get one chance to hunt in Alaska, what big game animal would you choose?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well it's Coastal Brown Bear for me. There is nothing like stalking in close to a Bruin of such stature and realizing your shot has to be true or your gonna be hating life real soon. The death moan from a Bruin echos in places unseen. You've really hunted when you get yourself next to a big Brown Bear.

I hunt for food so I would go for moose, however my favorite game meat is fat fall berry fed black bears.
    Chuck

Brown or Grizzly Bears for me, have to agree with Bighorse nothing like that feeling out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Well it's Coastal Brown Bear for me. There is nothing like stalking in close to a Bruin of such stature and realizing your shot has to be true or your gonna be hating life real soon. The death moan from a Bruin echos in places unseen. You've really hunted when you get yourself next to a big Brown Bear.
    True that.....

I picked "Griz" because it is the closest choice. My choice would be Kodiak Brown Bear.

I have always wanted to hunt a kodiak by bow, can't wait to make this dream come true.

Sheep, every time. I love other forms of hunting, but nothing captures me like sheep hunting. I've yet to take a goat and would really like to, but given a chance, I'd drop a sure-thing goat hunt just for a chance at another sheep.

Sheep would have to get my vote. I have not yet had the chance, but If I was only going to get one hunt it would have to be sheep, there is just something about them critters that grabs me and takes me off into never land.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

For just pure enjoyment, I really love caribou hunting. If I was only going to have 1 chance to hunt Alaska, though, it would have to be grizz/brown bear.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

One chance in Alaska its got to be bear
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Not me, Sheep all the way. Brown Bear hunting is fun but lots of sitting and glassing. Sheep hunts are more fun IMO. I love getting above tree line and slowly hiking around glassing little pockets for the majestic white ram!

Deer, no ifs ands or buts. I love the habitat, the long season, the bag limit, the eating, the ease of hunting solo, and the fun of a party hunt.

Moose would be a distant second for me and to be honest, for pure fun, grouse or ptarmigan hunting would be right up there.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Agree 1000%!!!!!

You left off Bison. With wild bison hunting being so rare anywhere (most are ranch hunts), let alone the odds of drawing one in Alaska, one of those Delta hunts would top my list if I could only do one.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Big mature male coastal brown bears and good mature dall rams. Each require a different skill set. Though to shoot just a bear in some of these coastal settings is about as overrated as hunting can probably get.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    You left off Bison. With wild bison hunting being so rare anywhere (most are ranch hunts), let alone the odds of drawing one in Alaska, one of those Delta hunts would top my list if I could only do one.
    I thought about Bison and Muskox but didn't figure they would get that much action - both may be challenging to find but I think in the end its pretty much shoot one while it stares at you....
    Hopefully some Huntress's out there will make a comment or two - you gals have more desire to chase anything specific vs the guys????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I went with 'bou because I am working on getting my family out for a hunt with two younger children and that is the most family friendly hunt.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I gotta say moose. I've hunted a lot of other things around the state but never done a ton of moose hunting. And the moose I have been after have been the smaller SE AK cousins of the big Yukon/Alaska moose. I've love to bag just one monster bull.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

All I know is if Jim Shockey can hunt all over the world and for most every big game animal you can think of and he still says his favorite is moose hunting in his favorite place the Yukon then there must be something really special about moose. I must agree with Mr. Shockey I've spent about 15 years hunting for moose and I've only seen one bull that I would honestly say to be in the 65 to 70 inch range and it was the most impressive animal I've ever seen. He had a full grown size cow with him and made her look like a calf. Don't think anything matches sitting there and having a 1,500 pound bull moose come in tearing up nearby trees and grunting with every step.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast