Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I like to guess on this type "Sheep"

Default I like to guess on this type "Sheep"

Sheep #1

Sheep #2

I have more pictures of both, but this should be interesting to see how guesses may change as I reveal more defining pictures. Let me first say these rams represent mature shooters to me. Wing a few guesses on length and base then I will let you see more.

I'll play. #1 Good mass, tight curl 35" 14 bases #2 More flare smaller bases 37" 13 4/16 bases

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    13 4/16 bases

Think I'll start callin' ya "Ol' Dead Eye"....

Down to the 16th!

I think #2 looks more like 13 1/4" bases, but maybe I'm off.....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I agree with Bighorse on the bases but would go an inch shorter on each so 34 and 36" respectively. I'm guessing we will never know the actual measurements and that they are still hopping cliffs on the Turnagain.

Gotta admit though, at first glance I wondered if you were playing a trick with the photography and that they were the same critter.

13 3/4" bases. 36"

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    13 3/4" bases. 36"
    Hey one of your students needs help on a math question...

Default math

4/16=1/4

I did the conversion for ya.

HuntAK, I get that accuracy from all my years of Goat judging. I once passed on a goat because his bases were only 5 9/19" and I set my minimum at 6". When I choose beer it's Dos Equis.

I am pretty sure some of these guesses are going to change, but they look alot different depending on angle.

4/16=1/4

I did the conversion for ya.
    I should have included a smiley. I always say that when people use things like 4/16 and 12/16. For some reason everyone uses 1/2 instead of 8/16.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

No guesses for me since I'm a neophite sheep hunter, I'll sit back and learn, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting all the great pics of sheep and moose!

Another look at each.

Now what say you, I have my own guesses and although these sheep are long been gone they surely died of natural causes. Likely at the teeth of protected coyotes with in Chugach state park.

When I choose beer it's Dos Equis.

And your Mom has a tattoo that says "Son"...along with your beard being on your organ donor card...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    And your Mom has a tattoo that says "Son"...along with your beard being on your organ donor card...
    Plus, if he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the urge to thank him...

Wow!! What a change. Now #1 looks to be in the 37-38 range on the right horn and #2 looks to be over 40 to me especially on the R as well. Cool photo magic!

Definitely shooters both. Beautiful rams. Are these the rams along the sterling highway down to the Kenai? The terrain looks similar.

[QUOTE=Bushwhack Jack;854014]Definitely shooters both. Beautiful rams. Are these the rams along the sterling highway down to the Kenai? The terrain looks similar.[/QUOTE

Really?!?! Rarely does a Kenai Range sheep get over 32". Those are chugach rams along the arm. I was going to post earlier that it takes more than one or even two angles to really be able to judge a ram. One thing often overlooked is that good mass carried into the third quarter really creates a lot of extra length.
    I would judge the first ram to have 13-7/8" bases and his right side right at 40-1/2". I wouldnt be suprised if he went 40" on that left side too. The second ram I would say is 13-3/4" bases and 37" or so.
    Dont be too quick to say that these sheep die of natural causes in that area (ok so 98% do :-) ), last year in the 140 hunt my hunting partner and I schwacked a 36" ram just on the legal side of bird ridge not not 3 miles in. Also snapped a 100 gr montec off in the base of the horn of a second full curl with him! This was after hunting 8 days in the very back of ship creek drainage. Goes to show "all you can do is hunt"

[QUOTE=AKBowman;854065]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Definitely shooters both. Beautiful rams. Are these the rams along the sterling highway down to the Kenai? The terrain looks similar.[/QUOTE

Really?!?! Rarely does a Kenai Range sheep get over 32". Those are chugach rams along the arm. I was going to post earlier that it takes more than one or even two angles to really be able to judge a ram. One thing often overlooked is that good mass carried into the third quarter really creates a lot of extra length.
    I would judge the first ram to have 13-7/8" bases and his right side right at 40-1/2". I wouldnt be suprised if he went 40" on that left side too. The second ram I would say is 13-3/4" bases and 37" or so.
    Dont be too quick to say that these sheep die of natural causes in that area (ok so 98% do :-) ), last year in the 140 hunt my hunting partner and I schwacked a 36" ram just on the legal side of bird ridge not not 3 miles in. Also snapped a 100 gr montec off in the base of the horn of a second full curl with him! This was after hunting 8 days in the very back of ship creek drainage. Goes to show "all you can do is hunt"
    No, no, no. I didn't say Kenai Range sheep. I said along the sterling highway, heading down to Kenai. You and I are talking about the same place, you just misunderstood me. They look like those rams right on the side of the highway right out of Anchorage.

I wonder who the lucky "1" hunter will be that draws the coveted Indian valley permit. Would bet my whole bank account that these two dudes spend the majority of their time in that area.
    I really hope its someone deserving. 6 years ago I drew the 140 permit for the first time and ran into a guy on Oct.8th who drew the ultimate chugach rifle permit (I cant remember the number) but it was the one where you can hunt anywhere open to gun hunting in the unit. Well this dip***** is hunting back in the West Fork of the Eklutna, with a rifle!!! The one area he COULD NOT be! Archery only year round!! I couldnt believe it we came completely unglued on this guy. Come to find out he was a cop from Wasilla of all things! Guy probably could have lost his job for that. The sick thing about it was he failed to see two full curl rams in plain view all day.

[QUOTE=Bushwhack Jack;854069]
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBowman View Post

No, no, no. I didn't say Kenai Range sheep. I said along the sterling highway, heading down to Kenai. You and I are talking about the same place, you just misunderstood me. They look like those rams right on the side of the highway right out of Anchorage.
    Yeah I stand corrected I got that after I read it again. Yup I agree those are some of them! Bad Dudes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast