View Poll Results: Will you post a hunting story?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have posted and will continue.

30 60.00%
  • Haven't posted a story but would.

6 12.00%
  • Have posted, got blasted and NEVER AGAIN!!

3 6.00%
  • Have not and won't because of Monday night QB's!

7 14.00%
  • will only post pictures because of blasters.

4 8.00%

Thread: Story posting poll

Default Story posting poll

Well I think that it may be time for a reality check to see the mood of the forum and maybe Mike and the mods can come up with some thoughts to change the mood, rules, etc.

I've seen way too many people state that they'll never post a story again due to the Monday night QB's. I personnally have posted stories and love to read them and hate to loose any member sharing them.

While i do see some problems with the way some have written their story I hate to see everyone worrying about every word that they write. We need to fix this.

Good thread. I have posted stories. I have a few that I still need to post from my DCUA and TMA sheep hunts the past two years. I think posters and "blasters" need to keep a few things in mind. First, for the posters, it might be advisable to not post something sketchy. For the "blasters", keep in mind that everyone makes mistakes, has different priorities, experience levels, etc.

Above all else though, people need to remember the idea that you treat people as you would like to be treated. My suspicion is that much of the "blasting" that takes place here is only because this forum largely keeps people anonymous. Would these same type of discussions take place in person? Probably not.

Now that being said...I really do need to get those hunt stories out.... and please don't blast me anyone!

None of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Good thread. I have posted stories. I have a few that I still need to post from my DCUA and TMA sheep hunts the past two years. I think posters and "blasters" need to keep a few things in mind. First, for the posters, it might be advisable to not post something sketchy. For the "blasters", keep in mind that everyone makes mistakes, has different priorities, experience levels, etc.

Above all else though, people need to remember the idea that you treat people as you would like to be treated. My suspicion is that much of the "blasting" that takes place here is only because this forum largely keeps people anonymous. Would these same type of discussions take place in person? Probably not.

Now that being said...I really do need to get those hunt stories out.... and please don't blast me anyone!
    I don't think you will get blasted over the hunt stories but keeping 2 of them to yourself as we roll into January is UNACCEPTABLE!! Continuing to keep those to yourself could get you blasted... I'm just warning you....

If I did something wrong on a hunt I don't mind hearing about it and learning.Of course the person makeing the rebuke is looked at first. Seldom take finace advice from someone standing in a soupline
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I post a little on some hunts I have done, but I am not a great story teller so I don't give all the little details like some people are able to do. I would like to get better with the camera, being mostly a meat hunter, the camera is usually the last thing on my mind, but I am starting to realize that pictures can make a hunt more memorable by being able to look back on the hunt. I will continue to post stories and information for others to read

I'll keep posting my stories, regardless if somebody wants to try and armchair quarterback it or not. I think what's equally as worse as these people are the ultra-sensative story tellers that get offended by some critiquing of their hunt. Manly enough to brave the wilderness, but too sensative to take a negative comment on the www. If it offends somebody else, guess what? It's their problem, not yours.

Anytime you post on a public forum you have to accept/expect the possibility of critique. I think both the OP and anyone having a question or comment would do themselves a big favor by just taking a few minutes or more to step back and think before posting. Acting on emotion can let words slip that later you wished you had phrased differently.
    And for posters that are either first time or second just look at some of the great ones that rec'd positive feedback. Usually too much detail during the actual kill is what gets one in trouble. If you think some of the great sportspeople we see today like Chuck Adams, Larry Jones, etc etc don't miss or wound animals you live in a bubble. However, you will likely never read about that in a story. I know of 2 separate mainstream authors that did not break any laws but sure had some ethical issues in camps I shared - and later when their stories came out there was not one mention of the events.
    Does this mean we should cover up things - no, but as sportsmen we realize stuff happens when you have to make quick decisions, sometimes we all have moments of - ooops I should have handled that differently. So, to keep the youngsters and newbies from thinking "Oh, he did it so it must be OK", we share a responsibility to think about what and how we present info...
    I know if I did something wrong or illegal and did not know I was doing it I would sure appreciate someone telling me so I would not continue - but I also hope that person says it to me in a civil way....
    Ask a friend to read your story before you post - get some feedback - can eliminate a lot of grief!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....