Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination - huntingrifle + shotgun

Default Combination - huntingrifle + shotgun

Hi,

When watching the Alaska expedition show, i saw these guys using a rifle - shotgun combination for mainly small game hunting, I heard them mention that it wasnt powerful enough for big game. Im unable to find this gun online, or try to track the name from the show, but maby someone here knows something about these combination guns?

Survivalist

http://guncollectorsclub.com/savage_arms.htm

Used one in .222/410 in NM for coyotes. After the first trip it gathered dust. Practicle usage is limited in some instances.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    http://guncollectorsclub.com/savage_arms.htm

Used one in .222/410 in NM for coyotes. After the first trip it gathered dust. Practicle usage is limited in some instances.
    Limited usage because the small cal. or ? If you're not using it, maby you could sell it to me!, cause i think it could be handy in many situation, especially against all small game, right!?

The one used in some Alaska reality show was a Baikal 22LR over a .410 shotgun. In the show the gun malfunctioned and low and behold I had the same thing happen to mine. I tried to fix it to no avail and no one has parts for those things, so I sold it to a guy who said he could fix it, but I never heard if he did.
    Great for foraging, but I would get a Savage or a Tikka and skip the Baikal. I would also get a .223 over 20ga or 12ga and use a chamber insert to convert the rifle to .22LR then you have 3 calibers at your disposal. Great for putting meat in the pot at closer ranges, unfortunately Savage quit making them a few years ago and the Tikkas can get a bit pricy.

Mountaintrekker

I've played with about every model that I could find, right up to a very high end 16 ga x 8x57R drilling. In every case they were too heavy and bulky for my needs. And obviously, some tend to be fragile. I like to carry a handgun along with a shotgun- a 22 when small game are on the agenda, and a big bore when hunting small and large game. But I've dumped every combo gun I've ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've played with about every model that I could find, right up to a very high end 16 ga x 8x57R drilling. In every case they were too heavy and bulky for my needs. And obviously, some tend to be fragile. I like to carry a handgun along with a shotgun- a 22 when small game are on the agenda, and a big bore when hunting small and large game. But I've dumped every combo gun I've ever tried.
    Not to much positive reactions about this specifik gun type, so maby i gotta move on to two separated guns instead of a combination. Probably a huntingrifle with at least one bigass handgun will do the trick to, with some practice at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Probably a huntingrifle with at least one bigass handgun will do the trick to, with some practice at least!
    Yup, long as you write off the small game, wing shooting potential. My best moose hunt ever involved several days of taking limits of ruffed grouse and ptarmigan with a 20 gauge while packing a 44 mag handgun under my arm. Last day of the hunt I dropped a bull as I was approaching the truck with another limit of grouse. And I can't tell you how many deer I've taken with a handgun while carrying a shotgun for ptarmigan. And when packing a rifle for big game, a 22 handgun lets you take small game as well.

The big bore rifle/big bore handgun combo is going to limit your options pretty badly.

Ya might look at the Encore pistol in 45LC / 410 perhaps that would be an option when carrying a rifle????
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

In scandinavia combination guns are quite popular. I have used Tikka 12/222, Valmet 12/308 combos and at the moment I have Sauer 12 /30-06 drilling. If you need shotgun and rifle at same hunting trip, combos are good way to go.

Here in Finland I can hunt small game ( grouse type game birds, ducks ect.) with my drillings shotgun barrels and be ready for moose with rifle barrel. Good quality combos are accurate enough even for small game hunting: 222 Tikka shoot 1/2 inch /100m/3 shots and Valmet .308 about 1 1/2 inch.

Sauer drilling is like side by side shotgun: With it I can shoot 20-22 /25 clays of trap. Slugs are right on target in 50 m. Rifle barrel heats easily and for that reason it chances point of impact. With 1,5-6x42 Schmid & Bender scope first and second shot are under 1 inch/100m but third one rises obout 2-3 inch. I have also short 22 LR insert barrel for Sauer. If I could have only one hunting gun it would be this one.

Baikals are cheap and quite rough made but can be surprisingly accurate for that price. Sometimes it may be difficult to find quick release scope mounts for Baikal.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    In scandinavia combination guns are quite popular. I have used Tikka 12/222, Valmet 12/308 combos and at the moment I have Sauer 12 /30-06 drilling. If you need shotgun and rifle at same hunting trip, combos are good way to go.

Here in Finland I can hunt small game ( grouse type game birds, ducks ect.) with my drillings shotgun barrels and be ready for moose with rifle barrel. Good quality combos are accurate enough even for small game hunting: 222 Tikka shoot 1/2 inch /100m/3 shots and Valmet .308 about 1 1/2 inch.

Sauer drilling is like side by side shotgun: With it I can shoot 20-22 /25 clays of trap. Slugs are right on target in 50 m. Rifle barrel heats easily and for that reason it chances point of impact. With 1,5-6x42 Schmid & Bender scope first and second shot are under 1 inch/100m but third one rises obout 2-3 inch. I have also short 22 LR insert barrel for Sauer. If I could have only one hunting gun it would be this one.

Baikals are cheap and quite rough made but can be surprisingly accurate for that price. Sometimes it may be difficult to find quick release scope mounts for Baikal.
    The key to finding a scope mount for the Baikal is to buy a tip off mount designed for a air rifle. Memory is foggy this morning but they come in either a 11 or 13 mm. Have used them on both of my Baikals and they held up perfectly. Cost about $20 from Pymarid Air.
    Agree with your comments about the Baikals and Valmets. Valmets are built better but since they are built on a 12 gauge frame they are pretty bulky and feel clubby in my hands but they are really acccurate.
    Tennessee

I've messed around with combo guns a little and had a Savage 24 in 30-30/ 20ga. It made an interesting piece but was really pretty limited in use.

I've also used a Valmet and I thought it was much better finished. The couple of drillings seemed pretty heavy and I always thought they were "rule beaters" in places that limited the number of guns an individual might own.

I tend to hunt a single species at a time so I find a purpose built weapon quite a bit more efficient. If I were simply foraging small game to eat in camp while big game hunting I'd use a light scoped .22 rifle or perhaps an accurate .22 handgun and forgo the shotgun altogether. If I'm big game hunting I don't want to shoot a shotgun and potentially spook the critter I'm looking for into the next drainage but the .22 is quite enough I don't worry much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    If I'm big game hunting I don't want to shoot a shotgun and potentially spook the critter I'm looking for into the next drainage but the .22 is quite enough I don't worry much about it.
    That moose I took with my handgun while carrying the 20 for grouse thoroughly leaked off my hunting pardners. They had the same fears and I stayed far away from them. It was a sorry week for moose in any case, and to take one in sight of the truck while carrying a limit of ruffies pretty well finished me of with them that year. None of them so much as saw a moose that week, but with me up to my elbows in moose blood and a limit of birds laying on the ground beside me, it was kinda hard for them to blame me for spooking off the moose!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I grew up shooting an old Savage .22/410 over and under. Countless cottontails, squirels and ruffies (and a smattering of other critters)taken with that gun.

I had a Winchester 101 that had 30-06 over 12ga and it was a fine gun for hundred yard shooting. It became worth more than my desire to keep it and we both smiled as we parted.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I handled one of those, and it was about the best of any I've seen. But you're right. I couldn't afford it!

I got to handle and shoot a Ruger Red Label 20 that had a companion set of custom O/U 375 H&H barrels. What a joy! Bill originally built the Red Label 20 as an O/U rifle, but decided that there wasn't a market and went with 20 instead. Can you imagine what one of those early prototypes would be worth if it snuck out of the factory today! Or the potential market if Ruger offered an O/U rifle today!

I got to handle and shoot a Ruger Red Label 20 that had a companion set of custom O/U 375 H&H barrels. What a joy! Bill originally built the Red Label 20 as an O/U rifle, but decided that there wasn't a market and went with 20 instead. Can you imagine what one of those early prototypes would be worth if it snuck out of the factory today! Or the potential market if Ruger offered an O/U rifle today!
    I had high hopes that Ruger would offer a rifle/ shotgun setup on the short lived Gold Label. Like a poor man's Kreighoff or Merkel, alas not to be with Bill Ruger gone. Still kicking myself for not buying the english stocked Gold Label I played with at Frontier.... doh!

, but with me up to my elbows in moose blood and a limit of birds laying on the ground beside me, it was kinda hard for them to blame me for spooking off the moose!
    That's a memory that can't help but make you smile!

I always thought an over-under 12 gauge / 45-70..... or..... 12 gauge /444 Marlin would be a neat survival gun.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

They stopped the Gold Label because of problems not lack of sales.It was much like the Mini 308,22mag Bearcat. The rifle/shotgun combo was designed for the one gun at home person and used alot in Africa as the cape gun. There have been O/U combos made in black powder muzzle loaders a rare bird to fine today. You can find good O/U's much cheaper than SXS due to cost of regulation
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I really like the Savage 22/410 for rabbit/grouse hunting. 22 for sitting shots and 410 for running or flying. I carry a large hand gun for back up. When hunting bigger game, I carry a K22 with shorts for the little things and a rifle for bigger critters. I find little use for a shotgun while hunting big game. If I lived in a area which restricted the number of guns I could own, I would move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast