Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleds not running good....fine theres no snow anyway....

Default sleds not running good....fine theres no snow anyway....

Some of you might remember last spring i had a summit highmark foulin' plugs like crazy and a busted rewind.
    well its still foulin' plugs and we can't figure it out. jetted fine, great compression, good spark....but fouls plugs bad when its not running wide open..slow or idle and it'll foul, no rhyme or reason to which side...
    well my "new to me" 800 vert escape '03 just had some new pistons put in, compressions good, starts good, idles good but the top end power is lacking..hit the gas and it just don't jump out from under you like it should.
    me and snowgo's don't seem to be getting along to well....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I had thta problem with a 93 tundra that I had. I know it is a lot older, but I did the same thing that you did, jets, plugs, and some adjusting on the carb. None of that worked. Then I replaced the needle and seat in the carb and it runs like a dream now. there must have been a little wearing around the needle that let more fuel go in with it was idieling. I hope this helps

have the bowls ever dryed out from long term storage leaving varnish or corrosion? What heat range plug are you using? Make sure your running the proper NGK plug and make sure the gaps in spec...spark plug connecters are also an issue with Doo's... you should check. Ever mess with the float levels... needles seats are pricey if your throwing parts at it to make it work. How about your oil consumption...got your pump adjusted correctly? If she's got compression spark and fuel, it'll go just need a little paitence

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Some of you might remember last spring i had a summit highmark foulin' plugs like crazy and a busted rewind.
    well its still foulin' plugs and we can't figure it out. jetted fine, great compression, good spark....but fouls plugs bad when its not running wide open..slow or idle and it'll foul, no rhyme or reason to which side...
    well my "new to me" 800 vert escape '03 just had some new pistons put in, compressions good, starts good, idles good but the top end power is lacking..hit the gas and it just don't jump out from under you like it should.
    me and snowgo's don't seem to be getting along to well....
    Check your Reeds! I had the same problem checked my reeds and they were sloppy coated with oil and gunk. Turns out my oil pump was bad, it was stuck open and it was using oil like a 550f I have and sdi. Turns out alot of the Ski-doo's have this problem. Doo-talk has two fixes for it, one guy sells a bearing for the pump and the other is to put a return spring on it.

Good luck!

Also check your clutching. If the clutching is wrong it will lug your engine and will feel like engine problems. That 700 you used of mine did this to me one year and come to find out the main spring in the driven clutch was broken.... It was lugging like a big dog! I changed the spring and made a small fly weight adjustment and I was poppin' "wheelies" like she was new again.

Just something to check. The dealer will let you know what spring/weight combination works well for your engine/track setup if you give them a call. I like dealing with HP Polaris or Eagle River myself.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Have you checked the jetting on the Polaris yet? I assume you should be running 3000-6000 jets, not sure of the jet to use, but you can find out at polarisindustries.com at the bottom, go to the riders section and then to manuals for your machine... It'll say in there.

(No...don't do it....DON't DO IT...I can't help it..) Shoulda got ya a cat! Just playing...

i know this is way out there but on a cat i had the coil cracked and it would foul plugs erratically one side then the other
    found it out on the trail one night pulling plug wires up to try and see if i could clear it and wow out of no where spark on the side of the motor played some more and sure enough it would throw the spark it is worth a try

BRWNBR....is your Polaris fouling plugs too or just lacking power?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

man you guys got me all confused on which sled your talking about...
    the RMK is lackin' power, alot of water in the exhaust and pops and back fires quiet a bit...(bad gas maybe?)
    the Skidoo is foulin' plugs, but when its not..ohhhh baby does it ever git it.
    i took them both over to ak moto tech to see if he can fix them for me...i'm not good with engine stuff..don't even know if i could find the jet unless its flying over head...

on a side note i have a buddy with a new arctic cat M8 and he's on his third engine...mine still run..just not great...

polaris is jetted per specs and has a ATACC installed on it as well....
    Master guide 212

Please report back on ak moto tech - am thinking of taking an old summit in to them. I talked with one of them on the phone and they sound like good guys - interested to hear real experience with them though.

I put new needles and seats and float in my 40mm miks - - boy that ain't cheap if you buy the parts from the local stealer....ouch. didn't help any tho.

If you are only running rich at idle you might try to jet down a size on the idle jets after making sure that your carbs are clean and everything else is set to spec.

You might also try to check your voltage at the plug wires - could be a weak stator circuit that picks up after the rpm's come off idle. You need a clamp on voltage tester for this....

man you guys got me all confused on which sled your talking about...
    the RMK is lackin' power, alot of water in the exhaust and pops and back fires quiet a bit...(bad gas maybe?)
    the Skidoo is foulin' plugs, but when its not..ohhhh baby does it ever git it.
    i took them both over to ak moto tech to see if he can fix them for me...i'm not good with engine stuff..don't even know if i could find the jet unless its flying over head...

on a side note i have a buddy with a new arctic cat M8 and he's on his third engine...mine still run..just not great...

polaris is jetted per specs and has a ATACC installed on it as well....
    Are you topping off the gas when you're finished riding? Condensation loves the insides of a half empty gas tank. Run red-bottle Heet and keep the air space in your tank to a minimum.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

when i bought the sled it only had a gallon or so in it, so i'm guessing the tank sat all summer mostly empty.

the summit had the stator coil replaced last year, it was fouling bad before the change too. i talked to the guys today, had a new needle for the jet coming in this afternoon to see if that was causing the fouled plugs. i'll ask about the voltage tomorrow when i go topick them up...
    thanks for the help guys...this machines are frustrating sometimes.
    Master guide 212

If you have eliminated the carbs and fuel, maybe, just maybe..... you could be looking at cracked carb boots. If the person setting up the carbs did it with bad boots, it could run rich. Same with crankshaft seals. Basically, when you have an air inlet on the downstream side of the carbs the machine will run lean. If a mechanic is trying to set it up and seeing lean, he/she would end up setting the carbs up very rich.

Rumor has it, that a SkiDoo runs the best right before it implodes. This would be do to a lean mixture. I have not experienced a failure .... yet. This might explain the running great after warm.

BTW - Inspect the boots. Vacuum check the seals.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    (No...don't do it....DON't DO IT...I can't help it..) Shoulda got ya a cat! Just playing...
    Don't make me bring my Tundras over so you can ride them!!!! You will be enlightened!

the stator...thats something we haven't checked on yet. did some checking on my records and the machine ran fine before i blew up my rewind and cracked the stator coil...thinking maybe after we fixed it we missed something else.

carb boots are all new, had a crack last year but got them both replaces with new ones. compression is good. gas is good, oil is good, plugs can be brand new and be fouled in 20 minutes.

Ya i'm startin' to miss the ol' one lungers....not when i'm breaking trail up a hill though! lol
    Master guide 212

I don't have time to read this whole thread or your oil one...but... if you are asking about oil and what to run... Have you checked the condition of your exhaust valves on these sleds. If they are stuck they will foul plugs like crazy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

humm i'll check those out too...
    Master guide 212

well heres the update...the summit should be working good, changed the jetting on it and so far 20 min of riding with no foul..which is good so far. will run the summit tomorrow for a few hours and see what happens.

The RMK on the other hand...running real lean, plugs are showing hot burn, and we are going to put some 500 jetting in tomorrow and see if that riches it up a bit. everything else seems to be workin' properly.
    Still has more power at 3/4 throttle than it does at full, it backs off once you pass 3/4 throttle...8500 rpm is what it peaks at right now...
    Master guide 212

Still has more power at 3/4 throttle than it does at full, it backs off once you pass 3/4 throttle...8500 rpm is what it peaks at right now...

Have you found what the peak power RPM is? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find it. My 700 peaked at 7800 so you may be over revving a bit which would explain the power loss. In a perfect world the clutching will keep it in the peak powerband. This is adjusted by the spring and fly weights.
    AKmud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast