Thread: 308 win cast loads

Default 308 win cast loads

I came across a fella in the south east that makes some dandy cast bullets. I bought a bunch of 165 grain .310 diameter gas checked bullets from him to shoot in my 30-30s. I know they shoot real well at 2000 ftps in the 30-30. I'm wondering what to expect when loading them in my .308. I have never driven cast bullets very fast in anything.

In the 308 @ 2500 fps would make one heck of a deer load. Would that be pushing them to hard? Will they as ftps increase eventually lead in spite of the gas check?

There are a whole lot of variables when loading cast. To start, the size of the bullet compared to the bore / throat area. The hardness of the bullet compared to how fast you want to push it. The speed of the powder you choose to accelerate the bullet. Weight of bullet. Type of bullet ( pointy, flat nose, loverin style), type of lube, twist rate and so on.
    Normally it's pretty easy to get to 1800/2000fps accurately and without leading. It gets more and more difficult to get accuracy as the velocity goes up. 2500fps with accuracy can be done but doing it with bought off the shelf cast bullets may prove difficult. I suggest you go to a site called cast boolits and search for accuracy with cast. That site has everything you want to know about cast bullets and a whole lot more. I'm in the process of trying to get 2500fps from a cast bullet from my 416Rem with accuracy. Having pretty good results at about 2200. Probably won't get much done until warmer weather.
    Another thing to consider is bullet hardness for hunting. Harder bullets are easier to make go fast accurately and without leading. However, as they get harder they become more apt to break up or not expand.

I've had the best luck with cast bullets on deer when using a softer alloy (actually Lyman #2) and gaschecks. With decent bullet fit and some of the great modern bullet lubes, you can drive them surprisingly fast without leading. How fast depends more on bore condition than anything else. Hard cast with pointy noses aren't so hot, so if you want to maximize game dropping potential, I'd have as large a meplat as possible with non-expanding alloys.

That 165 ought to be dandy, but I don't have any experience with it. I've shot several deer with the RCBS 180 grain FN and #2 alloy in 300 Savage and 30-40, and was impressed. Velocity was in the 1700 fps range if I recall, and there was clear evidence of expansion.

Central Illinois

Years ago I cast many for my 41 mags - however I never weighed any to see how consistent they were. I am just curious when a person casts their own how big of a swing in weight variation is there usually???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I am just curious when a person casts their own how big of a swing in weight variation is there usually???
    With good casting techniques, you can be surprisingly consistent- easily +/- less than 1%, and with sorting after casting you can drop that essentially to zero. As a general rule of thumb though, the smaller the bullet, the greater the variation %-wise. It's a whole lot easier to cast consistent 500 grain .459's than 40 grain .225's.

I have been playing around with paper patching cast bullets the reference I have been using is "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Matthews. Something else to think about if you want more velocity.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

The easiest way to find out is to just load them and shoot them… as previously mentioned 2,500 fps is pretty darn fast for cast unless you are paper patching them and the myriad of variables make it nearly impossible to predict favorable results, however given my experience with commercial cast bullets I can predict unfavorable results with some confidence! I suspect that you will not realize the accuracy and terminal performance you are hoping for with those bullets, driven at that high of a velocity… I could be wrong, but I doubt it..

As a rule of thumb, but mostly due to the cartridges that I cast for, I seldom push a cast bullet faster than 2,200 fps. For me, and my rifles (those of .30 cal or larger), that seems to be the upper limit of the speed envelope. Beyond that, accuracy falls off dramatically in my experience. I have cast some gas checked .243 bullets out of Linotype and driven them near 2,700 with good performance, however they were intended for plinking and varmint shooting and not intended to expand much if at all.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio