Thread: new XC ?s

Default new XC ?s

I do a lot of backcountry exploring on snow shoes. Sometimes I'll go in on groomed trails and then at the end of the trail strap on the snow shoes and take off. I'm wondering how much more efficient (time and effort) it would be to XC ski in and then hide the skies and go from there on snow shoes. Is there ski's that will work with regular boots? I'd like to avoid having to carry an extra pair of boots with me. Where is the best place in Anchorage to buy a XC setup? REI? I'd buy used but I have no clue on types, bindings, sizes or brands etc. Im 58 and 180lbs (200 with gear). I've downhilled skied a lot and I don't think XC will be that hard to figure out.
    Thanks in advance. All advice is appreciated.

I'm doing just what your describing this year, and with about the same background. So far I think the XC skiis are the way to go. You can cover way more ground with less effort than the snowshoes. Of course in the thick stuff the snowshoes excel still. I went and got a pair of rosignol BC90's with rosignol bcx11 telemark boots. With the three pin boots that I have, You can use them in snowshoes. I got the whole setup from REI as a package deal.

The tricking thing so far has been stopping on the downhill for me. its nothing like being fully anchored on the skiis with a downhill setup. And so far the snowplow technique has not really worked either. I have the most trouble on narrow trails where you cant turn

Thanks Matt, I think I'll go to REI and check out what they have.

I would check AMH and Barneys also. There employees are a lot more knowlegble than REI's.

+1 on REI employees..............

I personally like Barney's best. PlayItAgain Sports is another option. They have Madshus Voss Ski's with a NNN binding on them right now for 179.99

Ill admit the REI employees are hit and miss. But REI was the only place that had the skiis I wanted. I relied heavily on internet research and friends recommendations more than any employees.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    I do a lot of backcountry exploring on snow shoes. Sometimes I'll go in on groomed trails and then at the end of the trail strap on the snow shoes and take off. I'm wondering how much more efficient (time and effort) it would be to XC ski in and then hide the skies and go from there on snow shoes. Is there ski's that will work with regular boots? I'd like to avoid having to carry an extra pair of boots with me. Where is the best place in Anchorage to buy a XC setup? REI? I'd buy used but I have no clue on types, bindings, sizes or brands etc. Im 58 and 180lbs (200 with gear). I've downhilled skied a lot and I don't think XC will be that hard to figure out.

Thanks in advance. All advice is appreciated.

Hey man,
    I did just this a couple years ago. I already had plastic koflachs for late season goat and the like. If you google silvretta, you will find the bindings that clamp on mountaineering boots. Find some fat skis with scales (waxless) and metal edges and these bindings and you will be set. I know almost zero about skiing but these work great for what I do and that's what you are describing.

skis:
    Karhu 10th mountain (check out play it again for skis)
    atomic chugach or ranier

bindings:
    silvretta 500 or 404 (suggest ebay & 404's for cheaper, plus they are metal)

http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-...ckcountry.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...s-Waxless.html

I tried this the other day with a set of the white military skis and bindings (I used my Lowa Hunters)...I think they worked but it was my first time on skis ever...if someone got me on video I would pay to see it!!! I too usually snowshoe but had to try the XC thing, still need more practice before I carry my rifle with me on the skis.

If you want to meet up and try the skis you are more than welcome.

Here's what I've found after doing just what some have mentioned above. More moderatly rolling terrain a pair of wide short fish scaled skis and sileretta bindings with my koflach boots are just the ticket. I have alpina xterrain skis and they work great. The metal edges are a must for any overflow. But if you encounter anything steep you will find out very quickly why true AT set ups are the way they are. You can't lean forward and "drive the tips", so it is very hard to turn and stop. In fact you are almost forced to make tele turns which I suck at. But thankfully there is a solution. Get yourself a Dynafit compatible boot and the Dynafit binding. All of the sudden things become so much easier. You can turn, you can stop. And if you get a pair of skins you can climb like spiderman. This has made hunting in the winter a blast! I love the look on my dogs face when at the end if the day after walking a ridge or two I strap on my skis and kick butt down to the snowmachine in 20min and it takes them 40. Once you go skis properly you'll never put snowshoes on again.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.