Thread: Black cod recipes

Default Black cod recipes

I was lucky enough to get a few pounds of black cod. Any recipe recommendations?

Thanks in advance
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Is it smoked yet?

One tasty way to eat black cod is to cover it in rock salt for about 45 minutes, lightly rinse the salt off and cook it on an alder plank. Tastes like smoked black cod.

Black cod burger is good too, cook up a piece, fry up some bacon, put the bacon and cod on a bun, it tastes just like a smoked black cod sandwich.

I love cold smoked black cod so that why my recipes for plain black cod end up tasting like smoked.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

We had some really good black cod with white miso paste this past summer. I'll look up the recipe tonight and pass it along. It is a truly phenomenal fish.

Marinate the fillets in a miso/soy/brown sugar glaze for a few hours and then pan sear in a very hot oil for a few minutes and then place the entire pan ( use a cast iron skillet) under a hot broiler and broil until the top of the fillet's begin to separate. It is done at that point and very tasty. This is my favorite receipe and meal.

Thanks, I've never had sable fish before, so I'm pretty excited. I forgot to mention, most of the sable fish meat I have is from the neck collar off of some huge fish that were caught off of Yakutat. How does the collar compare to fillets?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I can't say about black cod, but IME the collar of any fish is a little more oily and dang tasty.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.