Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Shoot or Don't shoot Sheep

Default Another Shoot or Don't shoot Sheep

the pic doesn't get any better than this one. The guy on the right is a shooter. But what about the one on the left? Could he be 1/2" shy? Does he qualify as broomed? Or just a little bit of wear and tear on the tips? Maybe it's obvious to you veteren sheep guys, but it could be fun to hear some opinions.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

The left horn on the sheep on the left is appears to be just short of full curl, non shooter IMO without seeing the other side, and I am not experienced enough at counting rings

Both are shooters, 33-34 inches, probably central AK range, very light mass. About 5 seconds to evaluate. One on right is legal by age as well, not as certain on age on one on left.

Time for a double, boys. :-)

The guy on the right yes. left one I just could not do it.... next year.

But his head is slightly tilted towards the camera offering a different view. What if his head was level? I'm only enjoying this because I see a sheep like that as something that will get a person in trouble.

Neither are even close to being considered broomed. The guy on the left actually looks like he will be an inch longer than one on right btw.

I concur that the one the left is legal, and I don't think it's broomed either. But figured someone would see a slightly rounded tip and say broomed, BOOM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    the pic doesn't get any better than this one. The guy on the right is a shooter. But what about the one on the left? Could he be 1/2" shy? Does he qualify as broomed? Or just a little bit of wear and tear on the tips? Maybe it's obvious to you veteren sheep guys, but it could be fun to hear some opinions.

Great photo! The resolution is very good and it can be zoomed alot for better detail... I think both are probably legal, but a close call for me. The one on the left is not broomed, just a little worn on the tip which flares toward the camera.

Definitely not broomed. (Perhaps we need a thread devoted to what constitutes brooming?) My initial thought is that the one on the left is juuuuust legal. It reminds me of my first ram, which was 32" and exactly full.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The sheep on the right would have been shot, the sheep on the left would walk...since I only have one tag (plus it just too close to call on whether he's legal).

Can anyone zoom this picture in for closer detail? I am seeing both these rams as legal by full curl. I bet if we got a close up shot they could easily be counted as well. The one in question (on the left), doesn't appear to be full curl from this angle, but his head is tilted towards the viewer. Look at the shape of the circle. It isn't quite a circle, but rather an oblong eliptical shape. In order to judge the full curl, you have to view it when it makes a true circle. I suspect if his head was tilted level, he indeed would be full curl but just barely.

hold down the control key and hit the + key it will zoom in. Use the - key to zoom back out.

Notice how the head of the sheep on the right is tipped away from the camera and the one on the left is tipped towards it? If you look at the angle of the tip compared to the angle of the base, I would say the one on the left is legal. In fact I would probably shoot the left one before the right one. Both a fairly young though, and not exactly slam dunks.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    hold down the control key and hit the + key it will zoom in. Use the - key to zoom back out.
    I tried what you said. It didn't work for me. The ram on the left has some really nice bases. Neither ram drops down very far. My guess is a 34" ram on the left, and 35" on the right. 12 and 13" bases respectively. Just a rough estimate. Where is Tony Russ when you need him?

That's a great pic I don't know if a person could get a better look. Both would be shooters IMHO.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default I think they are both legal

And I don't think either one shows any brooming. I agree with the people talking about an ellipse vs. a circle. I want to be looking down the "cylinder of the horn curl" so the outside of the curl of the horn follows the edge of an imaginary circle. In order to do that you might have to be slightly above, slightly below, slightly in front, slightly behind, etc, in order to get the edge of the horn to follow that imaginary circle. The near horn of both these rams shows an ellipse as seen from this angle. In order to see a true circle for either ram it would be necessary to drop down slightly, or for them to tilt their heads away slightly. Then, I believe, both would show an obvious full curl with a bit to spare.

If you shot either one it might be considered a hate crime.

they are both legal I think. That one on the left looks like the exact twin of the one I shot 2 years ago. Took us a half hour with the spotting scope at a distance of 200 yards to reach the conclusion.

Blamo ! Both are shooters. The tilt of the head on ram on the left makes it look less of a (full)curl than it is, also, generaly speaking, there about 1/2" of horn below the hair .

Neither are broomed on the visible side and both are legal. Put then on the ground and then in the pack! No hesitation there is two hunters are looking for two legal rams.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast