Thread: A New Boat Heater

Default A New Boat Heater

Anyone heard about these AirSnugger's? http://www.sleeperac.net/about.html. They seem very similar to the Espar D2 and D4. In fact many of the specs are nearly identical. I can't afford the Espars but this is more in my price range. I know they're advertised for trucks but they mention marine installations. Anyone familiar?

Looks good, I didn't see a price on one. Did you call for one?

They have them on sale on the website for $799. From what I can tell this is equivalent to the D2 unit Espar makes.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    They have them on sale on the website for $799. From what I can tell this is equivalent to the D2 unit Espar makes.
    Guess I didn't look hard enough. lol I wonder if that includes all the plumbing, fluke etc...

I believe the marine conversion kit adds quite a bit to the price. I could be wrong, but I recall that that was the case when I was researching forced air heaters. Ebay has some very good deals on the heaters, too. Many come with the marine kit.

They sure look a similar to the Espars and the Webastos. Could be identical guts, just different labeling.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I believe the marine conversion kit adds quite a bit to the price. I could be wrong, but I recall that that was the case when I was researching forced air heaters. Ebay has some very good deals on the heaters, too. Many come with the marine kit.

They sure look a similar to the Espars and the Webastos. Could be identical guts, just different labeling.
    That's what I was thinking. I sent them an email to get a few more details. So what did the marine conversion kit add that cost so much.

No worries Chico, I'm notorious for doing the same

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I sent them an email to get a few more details. So what did the marine conversion kit add that cost so much.

I cannot remember what the additional cost for the kit was. MAAST put the webasto in his boat. He might know more, since he did it himself. Mine was part of the build price and it wouldn't surprise me if I got bent over on the price.

Well I heard back from them and it sounds like these things are pretty new on the market. They don't have the larger version yet, the SF4200, which is equivalent to the D4 and they said it probably won't be out until next fall. All they have at this point is the SF2300 which is equivalent to the D2. I'll see if I can get more info on marine applications from them and post up what I find out.

Sure would be nice to be able to get some work done on my boat while its under the tarp during winter and be warm while doing it. Its would also keep me out of alot of trouble.

I also contacted them and am a little hesitant to purchase. I've allways had good luck with Wallas and wabatsu which is servied by either Scan Marine or Sure Marine both in seattle. Both have excellant service and usually quik turn around. I'm not so sure about how the service would be. I suppose the price may be worth the risk seeing as how the heater cost half as much as a webatsu or wallas.

I agree. Pay more and get a product with reputation or pay less and take your chances. I doubt I'll be doing anything until we get closer to spring but it sure is tempting at $800. Keep us informed on what you decide to do.

So I just found that you can purchase these units on ebay for even less than their site. Problem is they don't have the larger units yet available, the 4200, only the smaller units or 2300. These are basically equivalent to the Espar D2 and D4 units. The smaller unit puts out 3000btu to 7850btu. What do people think about putting a D2 equivalent unit in a Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser with long cabin. This is the largest cabin on a Pacific Cruiser and includes the head. From my calculations it has about 405 cu ft. of space to heat. I mainly use my boat from April to October/November. We'd really only be interested in heating the cabin during and defrosting windows than then heating the cuddy at night. Any thoughts on whether this would be enough to heat that size space?

I think the larger heater would work better for keeping the windows clear. You need a combination of heat and ventlation during cold rainy weather to keep the windows clear. The larger heater would give you the option of which heat setting to use.

Totally agree - you really need more btu output than what the smaller units can provide. I speak from experience with my wife and children and the dampness during our summer monsoons in the sound.

Thanks Captain and Kodiak for the advice. I'd hate to spend $700 on a heater only to find out I need to spend it again on a bigger one. I'll wait for a deal on a D4 or for the bigger unit to come out.

Spoiled One.....I like your new avatar. Must be margaritas on glacial ice. That Grand Marnier is great stuff.

FWIW I rarely have my the thermostat set beyond half during the boating season with the D4. When I crank it up during the winter months when I need a break from life, the unit will actually cycle down. My cabin is insulated and very tight. This makes a big differences IMO. My old hewes was not very tight. When I plugged all the voids, the little old wallas did a better job. I assume that your PC is tighter than the old Alaskans, but I would recommend going with one of the bigger units. You will work it less and it will most likely last longer.

Margs on glacial ice are tough to beat and yes the Grand Marnier floated on top really sets a margarita off!