Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowing up coyotes!

Default Blowing up coyotes!

We seem to have a infestation of the mange in our coyote population in the NW corner of our county.

The local coyote exterminating fraternity to which I belong had a deer baloney, cheese & cracker, and beer drinking meeting the other night( I don't drink....and someone has to get the idjuts home)! Since this area of the county is one that we hunt hard and have pretty much free run of all the ground we decided we'd just have to make the best of it. Which means Jimmy is gonna shoot them with his 340 Wizzbee, Andy will use a 257 Wizzbee, Hard-0n will use an 8mm mag with some 125 grainers. Pete a 264 Win Mag and a couple were undecided. I kinda kept quiet as the biggest gun I have that shoots flat enough for 300+ yard work would be my old 270. So here is my question! I have a 375 Ruger that is to be delivered next week...what would be the lightest, thin skinned bullet to shoot out of that gun that might have a chance of blowing up coyotes? I have some 200 grain flat noses that expand pretty well at 375 Win velocities. Could I load them up to a little over 3000 fps and expect some spectacular devastation on the sickly song dogs?

I know someone is going to question our ethics on doing this! It may seem a little morbid to see how bad you can blow something up. However yesterday morning I was up in that area getting some straw for my dogs and watched a disgusting coyote plod across an open field heading for cover. He was running with his head down and tail out. His tail had no hair on it in fact it looked like it belonged on a rat. I would say that poor fella was one cold snap away from a permanent nap. These coyotes will each be a mercy killing so it matters not if we use them as ballistic gelatin on the go!

What do think guys? What coyote bullet for my 375 Ruger?

I've pushed the Speer 235's awfully hard with no blow-ups. If they will hold together rather than turning into blue streaks, I'm betting the 200's will be pure dynamite when they land. It should get everyone's attention when you pull it out of the case, even if you never shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've pushed the Speer 235's awfully hard with no blow-ups. If they will hold together rather than turning into blue streaks, I'm betting the 200's will be pure dynamite when they land. It should get everyone's attention when you pull it out of the case, even if you never shoot it!
    I think I'll load some of the 200 grainers up in progressing increments of powder to see what happens. This will not become my "coyote" gun by any means. This run and gun shooting doesn't leave time to pick up empties and at a buck a pop I am not gonna leave very many 375 brass lay. I'm just getting old and need new wrinkles. Top priority is getting one killed with an iron sighted 30-30. These anemic coyotes on their way out might make that an easy task! Then I want to blow one up with the 375. It only takes a couple of weekends of gunfire in mr coyotes back yard for him to wise up a bunch. Then it'll be back to the 243!

EKC, you need serious help - BUT I LOVE THE WAY U THINK!
    I have sent some deer slugs thru the hairy vermin and that sure ruins their day - I bet the 375 will thumpem good if ya can whip that cannon out quick enough for a shot!
    Remember to take your camera along - we need pics!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Load them all light and fast! Might as well maximize the carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC, you need serious help - BUT I LOVE THE WAY U THINK!
    I have sent some deer slugs thru the hairy vermin and that sure ruins their day - I bet the 375 will thumpem good if ya can whip that cannon out quick enough for a shot!
    Remember to take your camera along - we need pics!
    Randy
    Smokey, Whipping it out for a shot won't be the problem, however if I don't get em the first shot I may have to wait for teeth to quit rattling in my skull to find him in the scope again. It's gotta kick bad. Have a gander!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=205333951

By the way your the second person today to tell me that I need help....I won't let neither one of ya down Who wants to be status quoe anywho! Heck I'd even blow up a ditch tiger(cat) if I come across one, they're on the list too ya know!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Looks like a fine far-orm, to me.

But, whatever you use, good luck on exterminating as many with the mange as possible, because it will get spread around less, with less spreaders.

I shouldn't think it un ethical to blow up a Coyotie. They ARE predators, and you'd only be giving them what they gave to their prey.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sierra has a thin skin 350gr 375 Match King that the Cheytac guys are using. It would be fine in the Ruger. Not real fast but very slippery and wind resistant.

If you choose a lighter bullet Sierra offers a boat tail 250gr Game King that would do better than the 235 TSX.

Nice looking cannon EKC, uh they forgot the sights though?
    Ever notice how high those cats jump when you pop one - pound for pound they are very tough....
    At least a coyote kills to survive - cats just kill for fun....They can wipe out a covey of quail chicks in one attack...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    cats just kill for fun....They can wipe out a covey of quail chicks in one attack...
    That is why the plantation workers in the South carry light caliber rifles in their trucks. Feral cats are high on their exterminate list.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I found a like new 2x7 Redfield (older one) that I'm trying to buy to put on this gun.

Smokey, I agree it needs sights! I may look into that down the road....

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Cant remember the exact load at the moment…. But I have loaded the Hornady 220 gr flat points up to maximum published data for my 375 H&H. Not exactly laser beam trajectory, but plenty flat enough for 300 yards and while I cant say what they will do to a coyote I can verify that they turn fruit into sticky mist in quite a craptacular way!

Recoil is noticeably less than my standard 280 gr loads.

Have fun!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    By the way your the second person today to tell me that I need help....I won't let neither one of ya down Who wants to be status quoe anywho! Heck I'd even blow up a ditch tiger(cat) if I come across one, they're on the list too ya know!
    I got everything but a proctal exam by a game warden who came upon me rabbit hunting with my 458 Winnie and cast bullets. He was sure I was either poaching deer or crazy.

He really wasn't convinced about the rabbits tilll I fired off a couple of rounds, and they hardly went "pop" and you could actually see the bullet in flight. By the twitch in his hands and the smile on his face, I could tell he really wanted to shoot it too! "On duty" stuff stopped him, but I bet if I met him at the range someday he'd do it in a heartbeat.

You never know when "craziness" will make a convert!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You never know when "craziness" will make a convert!
    Tell me about it.

Look what YOU and EKC, done to ME.

I'm too dumb for it to be the other way around.

Nex time I come up with a krazy ideer, blame yourself.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Tell me about it.

Look what YOU and EKC, done to ME.

I'm too dumb for it to be the other way around.

Nex time I come up with a krazy ideer, blame yourself.

Smitty of the North
    I didn't did nothin to nobody! Smitty! Dad nab it, don't go blamin me cuz yer crazy. It's an ex telephone man thing I reckon!

I got turned into the law for crazyness once too Brownbear. I was up a telephone pole putting a whole bunch of them purdy wires together and yonder come a skirl running right down the cable head right at me. Well I done the only sensible thing. I reached out and grabbed the cable and whipped it up and down n back and forth and then in a circle like a big jump rope. The skirl hung on till I did the jump rope thing and it pitched him off. He landed in a yard full of bird baths, bird and skirl feeders with ears of corn screwed to ever tree in that yard. Welper it just so happened that the little ole lady what owned that animal feeding joint was watching out the winder when I sent rocky flying. She called the bosses bosses boss and pitched a tizzy fit. They yelled at each other until all the yellin got down to where I was at. They told me that they didn't never, ever want to catch me doing that again. So I was very careful and they never did catch me again Did you know skirls can limp?
    Last edited by elmerkeithclone; 12-17-2010 at 18:39. Reason: cuz i said sumptin that made sense so I had to fix it

I like this thread EKC and all those posting! Crazy? I think not. Trying to figure out a .375 load that will similarly do to a mange ridden coyote as that done to a ground squirrel hit with a 40grn Varmit Grenade out of a 22-250 is sheer brilliance. If this is what crazy looks like, I want some of it.

Like BrownBear, the lightest bullets I have loaded for my 375H&H are 235 Speers, which I cranked-up pretty high. However, I never took an animal with that load, so can't give you a field report.

EKC, you're an innovator, sir. Please post your field report on this one.

They told me that they didn't never, ever want to catch me doing that again. So I was very careful and they never did catch me again Did you know skirls can limp?
    The typical "management decision" was made.

Then, they went back to the office to compose a new Directive.

No doubt, the squirrel lived, to knaw more holes in the cable.

And you had plenty of work.

You made history, EKC.

The circle of life. Watta Picture.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Ok EK, first of all, +1 for flinging squirrels. That was so funny, and I can imagine the grin on your face while you were jumping rope with him.

Secondly, I've got some post surgery time on my hands (hence my increased forum activity for the last 2 wks), and your thoughts got my imagination going. After reading the traditional solutions to your question (you guys aren't trying hard enough), I got to thinking about the 30-06 accelerator. I know they weren't the most accurate, but you're a smart guy. What about a form of a sabot that'll let you shoot a smaller bullet that'll react with attitude?

I'm not the only guy who thought of this:

http://www.chaski.com/homemachinist/...p?f=10&t=68474

Mike

Top priority is getting one killed with an iron sighted 30-30.
    EKC,
    My granddad was one of 18 kids (long story - his dad was a cowboy. Seems like his first and second wife got pregnant every time he came home. :-) )
    Anyway, all his brothers were crazy hunters, but one of them, my uncle Woody, was an animal with a .30-30. Now i know that stories change over the years, but the story goes like this (sworn to by all the living uncles I knew).
    They lived in Oklahoma prior to the dustbowl (moved to CA during). Food was scarce, so my Uncle started shooting jack rabbits with the .30-30 (they THINK they remember having a .22 but they don't remember why he was shooting the .30-30). As they started thinning out, he had to start shooting them on the run. They say he could hit a jack at 80-90 yards, with iron sites, through the head 90% of the time or better.

They're all gone now, but those boys were great folks. I miss their stories. :-)

I can tell you the 300 gr TSX does a number on fox so I am sure it would work on yotes as well. Lets just say the fur flies! I bet the 235 gr TSX would be moving a bit faster and might make an even more dramatic event?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast