Thread: strong wind in the valley

Default strong wind in the valley

Another bout with the wind in the valley. My plane rode it out with the mesh spoiler wing covers on. The cub next to mine lost a rope and pulled the strut from the spar. My daughter was checking on the plane and found the rope off the other cub. Through a long distance call i was able to talk her through getting the wing tied down. The wind was gusting 80mph and with a rope that was too short she had to wait until a gust moved the plane to where it could be tied down. A few calls later and the owner was able to get someone to help. They cut the fabric outboard of the struts and use tiedown straps around the spars. With my daughters actions ,saved his cub and kept ours from getting damaged.

Ya, whata lady you have raised. You are a credit to society. That's rare these days.
    I had to come out to the valley to "remove" my sled trailer from my neighbors lawn.
    Good reason to check the line.

I was hoping the wind had died down, is it still blowin' like mad out there Tony?

Not blowing very hard now. Going to try flying in the morning looks like it's going to pick up in the afternoon fri

hmmm, sounds like I need to get a call into the bro in law and see how my "shelter-logic" fabric garage is holding up! Glad your plane is OK, and I am sure there is a grateful cub owner that thinks the world of you daughter!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    hmmm, sounds like I need to get a call into the bro in law and see how my "shelter-logic" fabric garage is holding up!

Prayers sent!!!

Those things are basically expensive kites!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Prayers sent!!!

Those things are basically expensive kites!!
    This is year two and I do have it placed pretty good up next to a big shed. Makes it a PITA to get to snow off the top but helps to keep it in place in the wind.... No answer from the BIL... probably wont hear back on it till this weekend I guess... (crosses fingers)

my shelter logic 14x12x40 does very well in the wind, alot better than i thought it would. BUT i can't wait to get a hangar on birchwood!! Still looking, need something bigger than the T-hangers out there. The blue box hangers would be perfect! Just got to find one for sale!

My Shelter Logic 13 x 20 tried to go airborne.... so I tied it to my Dodge Dually ONE TON. (The Bismark)
    Some of the fabric ripped next to the door area... It is not as tough as I wish it was.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com