Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: road access float trips?

  1. #1

    Default road access float trips?

    I love floating and decided this year I would start hunting again. Figured I would merge the two hobbies. As I look to map the year out before dec 31st, does anybody have any float trip ideas for caribou, sheep, or goat ( not moose, too much meat for my little boats ) that have road access both for put in and take out?

    And yes I have ordered some books on this but I am worries they will not get here by the 31st....

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    New member akhunter02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    682

    Default

    your kidding right? if such a place did exists, no one would dare talk about it

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    your kidding right? if such a place did exists, no one would dare talk about it
    Try the Brooks Range for sheep and caribou. Not a clue for float hunting for goats. Never heard of anybody doing that, but I suppose it could be done. Try calling Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. They are consultants for float hunting.

  4. #4

    Default

    I am not looking for a secret spot here... just looking for someone to point me in the right direction to where I can go without the expense of flying...

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Try calling Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. They are consultants for float hunting.
    Absolutely....and then come back here and tell us what they said!!! That is a Tall Order, one that is going to be difficult to fill, I think. Moose are easy, but the rest, not so much.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    My buddies and I are planning a similar trip for 2012 and to save on cost we are looking to drive trucks up north. Then fly upriver (so to speak) get dropped off and float back to the trucks. From my research so far there are few rivers where this can be done. Having a truck at the put in and take out is definitely a taller order. The only one I can think of is the Gulkana, I'm sure there are others. From what I can tell, you will have the most options if you can afford to fly out to the put in and get flow out at the take out. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Try calling Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. They are consultants for float hunting.
    Been there done that and any real information will cost you $$$$. Larry was helpful to a point via email, and I understand that its a business for him, but any real information like put-in, water levels, equipment, etc. you're either going to pay for it, or do the work yourself reading every thread on here or book you can get your hands on. Also, asking questions like you've done will usually result in some good info.

  8. #8
    Member Daveintheburbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Mike’s book is always a good start.
    Not to oversimplify but there are a heck of a lot more rivers then roads. Break out the old gazetteer and follow the few roads there are. Then at least you will have some specific rivers to look up on the archives or ask about. Not all will work out, the Sag comes to mind, but specific questions tend to get specific answers even if they are PMs. Good luck.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •