Thread: Average annual expenses?

Default Average annual expenses?

I have been thinking about getting a plane for years but have not done much research into it.

Just trying to figure out what the approx annual expenses minus fuel are on a piper cub or cessna 180 type plane?

Thanks,

Rob

A low time pilot? Assume a $75K purchase price, average condition, and insurance? You'll need about $10K a year without starting it. If you want to add for maintenance costs allowed over a 20 year period, figure at least $50.00 per flight hour @100 hours-per-year (or $5K per year to feep it parked) to save up for re-covering, painting, engine and prop overhaul, etc. That budget is a little fat but you'll need a cylinder or two, and maybe a gear leg, some tires, etc along the way. Now add per-hour fuel and oil expenses, which are currently about $40.00 per flight hour in a Cub, or about $75.00 per hour in a 180. Some guys will tell you these numbers are high. I'm just telling you what my checkbook tells me. Sure, you can go a few years without insurance and with cheap annuals, but there's no free lunch. The numbers will catch up to you.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    A low time pilot? Assume a $75K purchase price, average condition, and insurance? You'll need about $10K a year without starting it. If you want to add for maintenance costs allowed over a 20 year period, figure at least $50.00 per flight hour @100 hours-per-year (or $5K per year to feep it parked) to save up for re-covering, painting, engine and prop overhaul, etc. That budget is a little fat but you'll need a cylinder or two, and maybe a gear leg, some tires, etc along the way. Now add per-hour fuel and oil expenses, which are currently about $40.00 per flight hour in a Cub, or about $75.00 per hour in a 180. Some guys will tell you these numbers are high. I'm just telling you what my checkbook tells me. Sure, you can go a few years without insurance and with cheap annuals, but there's no free lunch. The numbers will catch up to you.
    Mr. Pid -------------- you tell it like it is!

Thanks for the information Mr. Pid, that is what I was looking for.

Rob