Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is oil oil?

Default is oil oil?

curious if i can run any 2 stroke oil in a sled...i know there's outboard oil thats 2 stroke..is it basicly the same stuff? dont' see much snowmachine oil at walmart...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

One thing I can tell you for sure is cheap oil will drastically reduce the life of any 2 stroke engine. As a mechanic I have taken many apart that I knew the history of what type oil was used, you could see the build up on the parts. In a 2 stroke the oil in the gas is what lubes the crank and rod bearing and also reduces friction damage between the piston and cylinder wall, quality oil also reduces friction and this helps with overheating.

Your manual should list recommended oil rating. A would guess that the marine version would work fine and just have extra corrosion additives for a marine environment. I ran synthetic marine oil in my RMK and never had any trouble.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

no oil is not oil, i wouldn't imagine you'd get far at all running lawn boy in a etec or something like that, some oils have better pour points, some have better add packs, some are made out of different base stocks, that said, there are plenty of viable alternatives to manufacturers blends... pour point is usually lower for a snowmobile oil than an outboard oil... tcw-3 is an old rating it contains more to corrosion inhibitors and what not as opposed to its lubricating abilities; a lot of the newer stuff is api-tc or jaso-fc and what not... if you just run any old oil in something with power valves you will stick them faster than if you run an oil approved for power valves... some newer motors run at far leaner conditions also so a synthetic is preferred for them over something made from conventional basestocks... if you run a race application with lots of mods and what not your gonna need somethign with some castors in it like klotz, cuz the castors won't burn off as easily at high temp, so depending on your application there are different oils for everything... i won't get into what brand is better than the other cuz there isn't any that are just straight up better at everything... some applications will say low ash and some will say no ash and i've heard for some applications low ash is better than no ash, i'm not exactly sure why that is....

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    One thing I can tell you for sure is cheap oil will drastically reduce the life of any 2 stroke engine. As a mechanic I have taken many apart that I knew the history of what type oil was used, you could see the build up on the parts. In a 2 stroke the oil in the gas is what lubes the crank and rod bearing and also reduces friction damage between the piston and cylinder wall, quality oil also reduces friction and this helps with overheating.

Your manual should list recommended oil rating. A would guess that the marine version would work fine and just have extra corrosion additives for a marine environment. I ran synthetic marine oil in my RMK and never had any trouble.

Steve
    for the most part, I believed this to be true, until a snow machine racer out of Kotz told me he runs the cheapest castrol they make, and he's ran nothing else for years. The dude has a stack of trophies and I almost want to believe him. Keep in mind.....this guy has built more sleds, and run and crashed more sleds than you or I probably ever will. He claimed the Castrol is thin and does very well in cold conditions and doesn't build up pollutants in the motor. I'm going to give this stuff a try this year as I've always ran what the manufacturer recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    for the most part, I believed this to be true, until a snow machine racer out of Kotz told me he runs the cheapest castrol they make, and he's ran nothing else for years. The dude has a stack of trophies and I almost want to believe him. Keep in mind.....this guy has built more sleds, and run and crashed more sleds than you or I probably ever will. He claimed the Castrol is thin and does very well in cold conditions and doesn't build up pollutants in the motor. I'm going to give this stuff a try this year as I've always ran what the manufacturer recommends.
    I too have had good luck with Castrol.

Quaker State is one oil that some people swear by, but I have seen engines that were all gunked up from it.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

yeah i've heard of a lot of people using castrol snowmobile oil even on apv sleds and having great results, i've even used it by the case load back in the village and never had a problem... most issues that happen and cause something to burn down usually aren't oil related... far more often fuel or something else....

One of the most important properties for snowmobile oil is the ability to flow at low temps. Oil that is specifically designed for snowmobiles will typically flow at lower temps than oil designed for an outboard or a boat. Another thing to keep in mind is to use an oil that burns clean. Especially if your machine has exhaust valves. Just check the specs on whatever you plan on buying and make sure it will suit your machine. I just finished researching the whole oil issue because I was tired of paying 26 - 38 bucks a gallon for oil. Drop me pm if you want, be glad to share what I found out.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I too have had good luck with Castrol.

Quaker State is one oil that some people swear by, but I have seen engines that were all gunked up from it.

Steve
    as soon as I run out of Polaris oil, and my son runs out of Ski Doo oil, we're both going to give this stuff a try because it's dirt cheap, almost half the price of the brand specific stuff.

The Ski-Doo brand is manufactured by Castrol. Best deal in town on Castrol is Inlet Petroleum.

When I had a hard time getting Amsoil I would run Castrol.Pretty good stuff....

Amsoil Interceptor is the sled oil and it has a pour point of -58*, this is the recommended oil for snowmachines as well as a few other 2 stroke powered equipment. I recommend injection oil with this oil because it has no color added to distinguish it from regular motor oil. HP Injector is the oil recommended for boats, as it contains more of the rust inhibitors added. You can also use this in all other 2 strokes just like interceptor, but it has a pour point of -46*. This oil is also colored green so premix would show color. I usually use this as my oil to put away the seasonal equipment. The last oil is recommended as a race only oil and not for use in Marine applications is Dominator. I have seen some flash surface happen with this oil. It has a pour point of -46*. I do like this oil as a premix for my chainsaws and I have one saw that cuts about 10 to 15 cords a year for the last 6 years without issue.

Here is a link to the page http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-2-cycle-oil just click on the oil type for more info. If you would like to try some I have it on bulk and I can get it out to Big LAke pretty easy.

I recently picked up a mid 90's Tundra II that has had the injection system removed so it is necessary to premix. I have a couple gallons of TCW-3 boat injection oil to use up and planned to premix and burn it in the Tundra to get rid of it.
    I run Amsoil in the other sleds but am looking to get rid of the boat oil and save some $ at the same time.
    I assume this will work fine as it will be premixed and not injected, so no issues with pour point temp affecting anything. Besides, when it gets about -20, I put the sled away and stay in the cabin.
    BK

I've run the outboard 2 stroke oil in PREMIXED snowmachines in a pinch, but for oil injected machines, use the snomachine rated stuff for sure..even if its 20 above today, next week it might be 30 below and you'll have thick oil in your tank. The Tundras use a plastic gear to drive the oil pump..not a good thing if your oil is stiff as tar...

Jake, 3 bears at Pittman has the Castrol in 4 or 5 quart jugs for about 23$...I also found some cheap snogo 2 stroke oil for sale at the Yamaha place in big lake, but that was a couple years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    The Ski-Doo brand is manufactured by Castrol. Best deal in town on Castrol is Inlet Petroleum.

Thanks for the info tlkkid...

good stuff to know, makes sense on the tempt that the stuff thickens up at.
    castrol at 3 bears is 2 stroke stuff? whats what you guys are talkin' about?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    good stuff to know, makes sense on the tempt that the stuff thickens up at.
    castrol at 3 bears is 2 stroke stuff? whats what you guys are talkin' about?
    It's specifically labeled as snowgo oil...white jug, with green and red labelling i think...

Castrol Snow 2T. I just checked my notes. Inlet Petroleum sells it for $4.11 a quart, sold by the case of 12. Another option for those that want a synthetic blend is Arctic Blue, sold by Como Lube in Minn. I just ordered some from them. Right about $20.00 a gallon delivered. This deal only works out if you have a way to get it from Seattle to Anchorage. PM me if you would like the details.

Three Bears also sells AMS Oil. Good prices.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

So, in trying to understand this - does the castrol oil work equally well in most of the polaris sleds? By that I mean a trail machine or an rmk? I know that the recommended polaris oil is different between the two. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by talkeetnakid View Post
    Castrol Snow 2T. I just checked my notes. Inlet Petroleum sells it for $4.11 a quart, sold by the case of 12. Another option for those that want a synthetic blend is Arctic Blue, sold by Como Lube in Minn. I just ordered some from them. Right about $20.00 a gallon delivered. This deal only works out if you have a way to get it from Seattle to Anchorage. PM me if you would like the details.
    Can't beat $16.44 a gallon for a snow machine oil known to work well in any sled.

JWS, We normaly just use any 2 stroke synthetic oil that we got around the shop. But on our IQ's and RMK we use the polaris gold synthetic oil. Buy it at HPAK for 6-7$ and works great.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast