Thread: 460 XVR Pressure Issues???

Default 460 XVR Pressure Issues???

Was talking to a buddy of mine who owns a SW 460 XVR, basically that it is on my want list. He advised me to keep my money in my pocket for a while as there have been a lot of reports of pressure signs. Mainly around the firing pin/frame area. He has heard rumours of possible recall. Anyone else heard/seen this??

Recall? Not that I have heard of. Some of the guns from 2009 (XVR and V both) seem to be built tighter and can show signs with some of the hotter ammo. There have been some mods of the forcing cone also that may affect pressure, I believe there are 3 cone profiles out there. You are dealing with rifle level pressures in a 460 and like a rifle they can have some signs with some ammo but that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the gun, just that it’s a bad pairing with that load. If you want an XVR get one, if there is a real problem Smith will make it right for you. Myself I would look for a used first generation serial number myself like made 06 to 08.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How do you tell between a 1st & 2nd generation? Is there any data out there to date the guns by serial nos. - I think mine is an earleir one but it would be nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Recall? Not that I have heard of. Some of the guns from 2009 (XVR and V both) seem to be built tighter and can show signs with some of the hotter ammo. There have been some mods of the forcing cone also that may affect pressure, I believe there are 3 cone profiles out there. You are dealing with rifle level pressures in a 460 and like a rifle they can have some signs with some ammo but that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the gun, just that it’s a bad pairing with that load. If you want an XVR get one, if there is a real problem Smith will make it right for you. Myself I would look for a used first generation serial number myself like made 06 to 08.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I think some of the early lothar/walther barreled 460 performance center revolvers where recalled. I cant remember exactly why. I have a performence center 460 with a 6 inch barrel and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    How do you tell between a 1st & 2nd generation? Is there any data out there to date the guns by serial nos. - I think mine is an earleir one but it would be nice to know.
    The only way I know of to know for sure when a Smith was made is to get a factory letter on it. You can pick up a copy of “Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson” but 2007 is the latest addition so post 07 is just an educated guess.

I have a 460V I bought new in June 2008 so I know it wasn’t built after 2008, its serial # DMC98XX. I have two other 460s with lower numbers I bought used in 1009 and 2010. All three have the same forcing cone profile and measure out very closely to each other than barrel length with numbers below DMC98XX. So from all this I assume if I stick to 460s with numbers lower than DMC98XX they are of the first generations specs. I seriously doubt this would work with anything but the “X” frame because Smith is known to duplicate numbers. My Dad had a 44 and a 22 with the same number but different model numbers of course.

I have no idea what number the changes began at and I could be all wet in my theory for all I know but it’s what I go by when buying 460s till they publish a new addition of the standard catalog. I also ask the seller "How long have you had it?" I find most gun guys to be honest about this, many fib about how much it's been shot but fess right up to how long they had it for some reason.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the newer generations from all I've read they are just a tad tighter and show some pressure sign with the hottest ammo that shortens case life. But it's a cannon with mid range ammo so why would you need that extra 100fps any way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I agree with ADFIELDS. I have a .460 that I bought in 2010. I have had zero issues with it after about 300 rounds. I load for it, using 335 LFNGC from cast performance. I use Accurate #9 and have never had a reason to load it to the max, even when using the loads for bear protection I don't see what 100-200 extra FPS will get you. If I have to use the .460 to defend myself it will be at close range. A 335 grain slug going 1500 FPS is going to hit like a dump truck. No need to up the pressure IMO. I also have some 275 grain XPB's that I loaded with a max load, but have had zero pressure signs after about 60 rounds. I think that with the lighter boolits, it works out. Barnes is also known for posting watered down load data, so I think that there is a bit of a safety net there. I have even reloaded .460 brass upwards of 5 times without case failure, or primer pockets getting funky. I love my .460!

I forgot to add that for plinking, 255 grain semi wadcutters over Trail Boss powder will turn a .460 into a kitten. I didn't even include the hundreds of these rounds I have put through my .460 into the 300 mentioned earlier. These loads are simply a lot of fun! You don't want to load them over 800 FPS, but man, it goes pop, and kicks like a .38!

I checked my XVR and it is serial no. CJH7XXX. I got it several years ago - it was reported to be new but it was second hand. i haven't shot it much - I've been focusing instead on my 4" .500 for bear protection.

Anything I can check on this and report back for comparison? Always nice to compile and report data on thes things.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The only way I know of to know for sure when a Smith was made is to get a factory letter on it. You can pick up a copy of “Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson” but 2007 is the latest addition so post 07 is just an educated guess.

I have a 460V I bought new in June 2008 so I know it wasn’t built after 2008, its serial # DMC98XX. I have two other 460s with lower numbers I bought used in 1009 and 2010. All three have the same forcing cone profile and measure out very closely to each other than barrel length with numbers below DMC98XX. So from all this I assume if I stick to 460s with numbers lower than DMC98XX they are of the first generations specs. I seriously doubt this would work with anything but the “X” frame because Smith is known to duplicate numbers. My Dad had a 44 and a 22 with the same number but different model numbers of course.

I have no idea what number the changes began at and I could be all wet in my theory for all I know but it’s what I go by when buying 460s till they publish a new addition of the standard catalog. I also ask the seller "How long have you had it?" I find most gun guys to be honest about this, many fib about how much it's been shot but fess right up to how long they had it for some reason.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the newer generations from all I've read they are just a tad tighter and show some pressure sign with the hottest ammo that shortens case life. But it's a cannon with mid range ammo so why would you need that extra 100fps any way.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    I agree with ADFIELDS. I have a .460 that I bought in 2010. I have had zero issues with it after about 300 rounds. I load for it, using 335 LFNGC from cast performance. I use Accurate #9 and have never had a reason to load it to the max, even when using the loads for bear protection I don't see what 100-200 extra FPS will get you. If I have to use the .460 to defend myself it will be at close range. A 335 grain slug going 1500 FPS is going to hit like a dump truck. No need to up the pressure IMO. I also have some 275 grain XPB's that I loaded with a max load, but have had zero pressure signs after about 60 rounds. I think that with the lighter boolits, it works out. Barnes is also known for posting watered down load data, so I think that there is a bit of a safety net there. I have even reloaded .460 brass upwards of 5 times without case failure, or primer pockets getting funky. I love my .460!
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but why have that big heavy X frame if you are not even going to get full 454 Casull velocities out of it? Wouldnt it be better to get a much lighter, easy packing 454, if your heaviest load is going to be a 335gr. @ 1500 fps?

"I know this is a bit off-topic, but why have that big heavy X frame if you are not even going to get full 454 Casull velocities out of it? Wouldnt it be better to get a much lighter, easy packing 454, if your heaviest load is going to be a 335gr. @ 1500 fps?"

According to the Accurate reloading guide, 1559 FPS is max with their 4100 and a 335 grain hard cast out of the .454. They don't list a load for #9 in the .454 with that weight bullet. Also keep in mind that the velocities posted in the manual are from a test barrel. I shot my loads through a chrono from my 5" .460. The load is manageable, and fun to shoot, and I am sure it would get the job done. I have even hit the 300 yard gong at birchwood with this load about 3 out of 5 times while messing around. Two of my buddies did about as well with the same load and the same gun. As far as your question being off topic; I don't think it is. I can load and shoot this load all day without pressure issues out of my .460. The max velocity I have seen for this weight boolit is just under 2,000 FPS with LIL' Gun. I don't use that powder because I have heard that it accelerates barrel erosion. I don't know if it does, but better safe than sorry. H4227 supposedly posts good velocities too, but I haven't tried it out yet.

How come you 460 guys aren't shooting 360 to 400+gr boolits with all that case capacity? RangerRick has a 535gr T-Rex thumper he cast specially just for you 460 guys. http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/

Forgot to mention that Barnes lists their 275 grain XPB's at around 2,200 FPS out of the .460 with a max charge of #9. I have about 60 loaded up, and have shot about 20 of this load. I haven't chrono'd it yet, but I am sure they scream. If you aren't familiar with the XPB, it is like a Barnes Triple Shock for a pistol. They are nasty, and 2200 FPS is FAST for a pistol. That's around as fast as a .308 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    How come you 460 guys aren't shooting 360 to 400+gr boolits with all that case capacity? RangerRick has a 535gr T-Rex thumper he cast specially just for you 460 guys. http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/
    I load 300, 395, and some 405 cast for mine, I just see no reason for a heaver bullet. To me the beauty of 460 is the longer range in a gun that is also a cannon at short range. It’s amazing how accurate mine are at ranges like 2-300 yards. I haven’t tried the monster bullets out there but I suspect I would be giving up range with the long bullet and don’t see a need for more than my 395g@1650fps in close. I’ve done quite a bit more than that in my guns but why, you start getting bullet issues and ten years ago I was happy with way less and had to work to get to it.

Then the other benefit to 460 is I can back it down to nothing with very cheap 45 Colt or ACP bullets in 460 brass. And of course they shoot anything 45 Colt, 454, or even APC ball if I want to set it up so I can find something to feed it at any store. 200gJSP@2000 fps are flat tack drivers at 300 yards from a rest, not many 300 yard hunting handguns out there. So the 460s do a lot of things with just one real drawback. They is heavy hunks of iron that don’t work on a belt holster so you got to do a chest rig or something, not an issue to me as.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona