Thread: Story to lighten the mood

Default Story to lighten the mood

Well not an Alaska hunt but I figured we need a good laugh around here. So my grandpa Larry decided he wanted to hunt this year (he's 80). Now this guy is that old man that wears terrible clothes, he's loud, flexes for ladies, THAT guy. Anyway he and his brother decided to hunt together (gary is 70ish). The whole family told them that it may not be a grand idea to go out alone as they haven't hunted in years and haven't handled guns recently etc (you gotta know Larry to understand). As you can imagine this just fueled the fire. These two old cuss' (read Hal and Len from Shockey) went out built a blind to share the whole nine yards. The blind was located a tough 23 yard walk from Gary's house in Michigan. Up to the opener folks tried to talk them out of if but they were going come hell or high water.

Coin flipped Larry is the shooter. Opening morning as they ate snacks and chatted a deer miraculously appeared. After 10-15 minutes of getting lined up on it, Larry fires the shot heard round the world. Deer dies. Now Gary in his excitement over the event decides to send a 'we showed you' text to the family. The text read "1 shot Larry!" Now the text was in reference to grandpa's shooting 1 shot and killing it but what Gary's wife read was "I shot Larry". Needless to say my freaked out Aunt mounted a rescue only to find two old codgers fumbling with their deer proud as peacocks.

Hope you enjoyed.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Funny stuff. Sounds kinda like Grumpy Old Men revisited.

Sounds like they had a good time, and not to many are going to pick that apart, unless they will try to take the guns away from the older people, lol, Good job and congrats to the older ones who hav'nt forgot how to do it.

Good one. Keep them coming.

That was great. Guess I ain't to old to go hunting again next year with my brother ole'
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Why'd they build the blind so far from the house?

It is time for Gary to give up...using the IPhone. Someone needs to break the news to him...suggest you put your tinnyrunners on before you have the chat though.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for bringing some humor to this forum and tell Larry and Gary good luck on their future hunts and to watch the texting!

Thanks, that one made me laugh and was a welcome change from some of the recent sniping that's been going on.

Very good story for sure! I envy anybody that can still get out and live the dream we all share at that age!
    Thanks for the chuckle!
    Merry Christmas my Friends!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome! Have a chili dog for Squirrel and I.

I wanna be just like them! When I get old I just want to be full of life and the desire to go live it. God Bless em both. Good on em for following through, and great on you for a wonderful story.
    ARR

The only thing that would have made that story better is pictures. I can only imagine what those two look like and the looks on their faces standing over their dead deer.

I totally agree with the need for a breath of fresh air on this forum and some relief from the abrasive arrogance that so often rears its ugly head when so many of us are attempting to relax and immerse ourselves in learning or reading a story about the hunting we love.

Thanks for the laugh.

Good Laugh thanks

reminds me of the guys in "2nd hand Lion" The spirit is willing but the flesh is weakening. Good on the old boys, I wish them many more years in their blind!

Gooch, rumor on the street is you were crushin hot dogs LIKE KOBAYASHI!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story, hope we all can do that when we get that old. That darn deer just ruined the hunt soon, bet they weren't even done with their snacks!!! Thanks and I am sure they are looking forward to next year, but muzzleloading is still open in part of our state.

Squirrel I am crushing some hot dogs for sure. Got on the Corner Bar Hall of fame for eating 12 chili dogs in an hour. Bad idea. Anyway glad you enjoyed the story, opening day in Ohio for gun tomorrow AM. Saw a monster setting blinds today! Attached is my Alberta buck. And yes, first shot went through the ear and removed a tine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island