Thread: Indian Valley.....?

Default Indian Valley.....?

Hello,
    Might sound like a dumb question but....how adzactly does one get to Indian Valley? Was thinkin' bout' headin' up for blackbear this spring but I'm not so clear and how to get to it...wanted to hike out and see what it's like.

Thanks,

~Jon

Default Indian Valley

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Hello,
    Might sound like a dumb question but....how adzactly does one get to Indian Valley? Was thinkin' bout' headin' up for blackbear this spring but I'm not so clear and how to get to it...wanted to hike out and see what it's like.

Thanks,

~Jon
    Jon,

Indian Valley is south of Anchorage about 20 minutes. Lots of houses back there; I'm not aware of an easy trail to get to a place where you could hunt in there.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There's a great trail, actually. It is the same trailhead that one would use to access the Indian end of the Powerline Pass trail. After about a mile (maybe less?) it breaks off from that trail and continues up Indian, topping out in Ship Pass. You can actually follow it all the way to Arctic Valley, though it wouldn't be a dry trip in the summer.

As for black bears, the problem is that the first 6 miles are down in the timber. There are plenty of bears in there, but there aren't many good places with a view for spotting them. It might be worth a shot, but likely tough hunting.

Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the road that leads to the trailhead. There are only a couple of options, though, so just drive up them and check it out. It's not more than a mile off the road, and you'll know it when you find it.

-Brian

The road is Ocean View Road, a fact I verified by consulting my copy of Imus Geographics Chugach State Park Map. By a stunning coincidence, the publisher shows online a detailed view of exactly this spot.

If you have any designs to venture into the park, this map is a necessity. It's extremely useful in route planning and scouting.

I believe that's the road that goes in right by the Turnagain House. You might want to stop in there on your way by too. If it's under the same management as last time I was there, the owner is an interesting character who is an avid hunter with a great collection of old Winchesters hanging up on the walls....Louis

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eidsvolling View Post
    The road is Ocean View Road, a fact I verified by consulting my copy of Imus Geographics Chugach State Park Map. By a stunning coincidence, the publisher shows online a detailed view of exactly this spot.

If you have any designs to venture into the park, this map is a necessity. It's extremely useful in route planning and scouting.
    +1 for Imus
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Can you hunt black bear in there? I thought it was Chugach State Park and off limits to big game hunting.

Edit--checked the regs and it looks like it's OK with a one bear bag limit in that part of the park through May 31st. Does that sound right? I guess I should have checked earlier. I've been up that trail a hundred times at least and I've run into the buggers. Never knew I could hunt them there!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmoline View Post
    ...checked the regs and it looks like it's OK with a one bear bag limit in that part of the park through May 31st. Does that sound right? I guess I should have checked earlier. I've been up that trail a hundred times at least and I've run into the buggers. Never knew I could hunt them there!
    But no baiting.

Last August Mrs. Mark and I stopped there at the trailhead. Directly under the sign warning about bears was a huge pile of bear scat.

No respect, I tell ya'.......................

I really like that trail because it's off the beaten path and most touristas don't know how to get to it. The down side is there are swarms of biting glob flies from time to time--the stinky kind that attach to your mouth and eyes and have to be scraped off.