Thread: 223WSSM loads

Default 223WSSM loads

Anyone have some awesome recipes for this amazing cartridge? I'm trying to find a load that will not blowout large exit holes in lynx, wolf, coyote and fox. Are there even anyone out there that shoots the 223WSSM? So far I've loaded the 55gr Nosler Balistic tips, running 3700fps. Not a good out come. So I've loaded up 40gr Nosler lead free ballistic tips. Hoping it will fragment on impact and not exit. However I have not shot anything with it yet. So if you have some loads that have been tested on predators please share... Thanks

I would use 60 partitions. I shoot them out of my 22-250 with good results.

At those velocities with any bullet that's even slightly frangible you're going to make an ugly mess, either on entry or on exit. I would shoot a solid that's going to make a nice clean hole going in and out. And there's no need to drive it at light speed either. Load for accuracy not velocity.

I agree with you on shooting solids. I think shooting 60 or 70 grains at 2700-3000 fps will do less damage. FMJ just don't look as pretty as some of the ballistic tips though. I guess I can color them with a magic marker. Lol

+1 for the heavy partitions

IME fast bullets tend to make big holes in fox hides. I've found this to be true with high velocity centerfires using solids or expanding bullets. As for coyotes and wolves, I'd go the frangible route as they have enough size to normally retain the bullet and it makes recovery a lot easier than some shots with solids--at least that's the case on coyotes. Never shot a lynx so can't say, but at 20-35 pounds I'd be leery of tearing hides with high velocity bullets. I've used all manner of 22 centerfires for coyotes, but now use a .222 loaded with 50 grain V-Max at about 3200 fps when I get the urge to save their hides. Normally, I carry a 17 HMR for foxes--always provides a DRT with a solitary .177 caliber hole. Of course YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Have you tried any FMJ bullets?

I know you weren't looking for an EVEN faster load but Alliant has wssm loads on their website.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...px?powderid=25

Loading FMJ's right now. Bought a 500 pack of 55gr fmj from Midway a long time ago. Just found them, I like finding things that I forgot about. It's kinda like Christmas.

I just ordered up some barnes banded solids in 45 grain for my AR from Midway. Here is the link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=918837
    My order should be here any day. Good luck, I too am curious if you find something that works for all.