Thread: economical tent?

Default economical tent?

Hey y'all,
    me and my buddy (we're both 17) will be heading up for our first black bear hunt this may around ressurection trail and I am beginning to look for a tent that's economical for us (round 250-300ish)?

Just wondering if this is even a feaseable thing to try and do? Never much camped up here cept' on the Haul Rd. and that was with a borrowed tent.

Thanks,

~Jon

There are tons of tent out there that will work. You have to decide how big you want it to be. It is says it is a three peson it will probley only sleep two with gear. I have a Sierra Designs and a Moss tent. The moss is a four seasons tent that is great it bad waether. Moss was bought out by MSR but they make a great tent too.

Default Kelty

Kelty makes great affordable tents; $150-$200 range. I have a Kelty Gunnison 4 and its comfy. It supposedly sleeps 4, although it is excellent for two +gear and you could sleep three easily. It weighs about 9lbs, which is ok, obviously it's not the best lightweight, backpacking sheep tent, but.... you can use the poles, footprint, and rainfly and cut the weight to under 5lbs if your not expecting a downpour. Check REI online too if your interested in a 2-man lightweight tent.

Tim

PS: You can rent cabins along the trail for $35 a night.

I looked arround a little and decided that a 3 seeason tent was all that I needed. The 4 season models all looked much stronger and, being on Kodiak with the winds that was concern, but price, weight and CONDENSATION made me think twice. I ended up with a North Face Tadpole. Pretty small for two but under 5 lbs and 3 pole design makes it a good choice. I looked arround for quite a while E-bay and such until I found it on sale at some internet close out distributor. Last years model. I think I paid $160 for it.
    Took it goat hunting last year and it handled the winds fine. Yet to give it a good drenching though but I have faith. NEVER rely on un-tested gear though and I will certainly run it through the wringer before getting too far out with it.

Default Black Diamond and Kelty

I used a Kelty trail dome tent. Nice tent. Great value. The gunnison by Kelty (mentioned by someone else) is a great value as well. My buddy used one on the last two trips we took on lower Noatak tribs above Kotz. The weight is high compared to some. If you are hiking this is a problem. If carrying it, look at the Black Diamond tents. I just bought a 4 person Black Diamond. Awesome tent. Cant remember model name. Super light. Like half the weight of other tents. If you are being dropped off and wont be carrying the tent, a Kelty trail dome 6 would be very comfortable for two men and all your gear. A 4 person would work for two normal sized people. I am big and like the extra room of the 6 person tent. But a 4 person tent at minimal is needed for two men and gear. My opinion. Big Agnes has some lightweight and cool designs as well. I would check out www.campmor.com if I were you. Good deals there. Freestanding tents are my preference. But it would depend on where you are going. Rocks, sand, big difference when you are pitching a tent. And the Black Diamond models are one piece (no seperate rain fly). So you dont have that annoying flapping in the wind sound all night. I like that because I can listen for other things. Like bears. They are really super tents. Modeled after the Bibler tents (the best made) the Black Diamond tents are about half the price. Not cheap still, but amazing tents. I got mine last month and set it up. Impressive. The poles go in from the inside and support the single wall tent. You can get in the tent (during a storm) and pitch the tent from the inside. And like I said, no rainfly to flap all night long. If you are going to be in a place where you expect rains and heavy winds, the Black Diamond tent may very well be worth looking at. They are sold on www.rei.com and www.backcountrygear.com . Great product. But in the $200 and less bracket, Kelty is tough to beat. Tough and weather resistant, just heavy to lug around. For comparison, the Black Diamond packs to the size of a volley ball plus poles. Half the space (and weight) of most models. That frees up alot of room in your pack for essential items for bad weather camping. Like bourbon!

On our sheep hunt last year we used 2 Marmot Twilight 2P tents we had 2 guys in one and I had my own.They took one heck of a wind storm we had for a full day and came out fine.Just over 5lbs. two vestibules with entrances,easy to set-up,and can use the ground cloth and fly by itself.Great little tent and Campmor has them for 179.00 on sale.Coues